vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to otbers, GPS

If someone is willing to maintain a pool of GPS's that can be used to let new users use them then return them after a certian period of time. I have one I can throw in the pool.
    Blazing Troll

Holy cow! That's a great idea.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

One of the newer cachers, a while ago, told me their library (I think it was down around Freeport way) had a lending program - for them - just like for books. I tried to talk my local library into doing it but they didn't have the funds to buy one.

My plan was with my old one to try to start our library out with my old one if they would take on the program. Of course, I haven't bought a new one to replace my old one yet. ...........

Well, you all get it. It seems a perfect match for a library to loan out books on caching and the units. My librarian did find a beautiful (coffee table type - large, beautiful - set it on a table) book on Geocaching with some georgous photos in it. Orrington (ME) library to view it (if it's in) and you can get a cache too! Years of Upheaval - GCZM7V

That is what I am suggesting we do here at Geocaching Maine if someone wants to take on the task of collecting old GPS's and monitoring them.
    Blazing Troll

Default A good idea

I like the idea of pooling the GPS units. I borrowed a lot to do a clinic at a provincial park in Canada. All the GPS units made their way back to the owner who lent them to me.

I may be doing a clinic at the end of March and may need to borrow them again.

My question is, what if one goes missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaching Karen View Post
    I like the idea of pooling the GPS units. I borrowed a lot to do a clinic at a provincial park in Canada. All the GPS units made their way back to the owner who lent them to me.

I may be doing a clinic at the end of March and may need to borrow them again.

That is the question I knew was going to get asked.

I would say that we would not advertise that we are doing this.

We could maintain a pool and loan them only to people have had someone in our Geocaching Maine community give them a good reference. Most of the time it is a friend of someone in our community that is interested anyways.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Kaching Karen View Post

I say we have Ekidokai put the Fear of God into them before they borrow the unit.LOL

lol Seriously, it is a great idea if it can be done. Unfortunately we just have the one we use.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

I would offer mine but it would cost $175 to get running again and I am still arguing doing it myself for my use.