vb:literal>

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cache software for Blackberry's

Quote Originally Posted by FFFarmer View Post
    [B][I][U]We were also getting a little burned out on the lamp post, guardrail, sign post caches where the biggest challenge was not getting run over..
    Sheesh! We know how you feel! I especially hate the guardrail-on-the-bridge cache, where a big guy like me REALLY has to be careful! LOL!

But don't get me started on this subject, or you'll be sorry! LOL!

I just purchased the Blackberry 8330 Curve 2 weeks ago and love it (along with being addicted to it). Will have to give the caching software a try soon.

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to add a few questions....
    I am thinking of updating my phone to the BB. We are also in need of updating the gps. So folks...the BB says it has GPS. The girl at the store could not get it to work and knew nothing about it, even though she tried while I was there. Is there really usable GPS for our purposes of Caching?
    Do you all use a separate GPS unit, and just use the BB to download the information?
    I am torn between these two things...update to a BB, or just get a Oregon or Colorado maybe that does it all with the description, hint right in the unit? I read a post on a review site, that said you have to separately load each cache if you want the description. Could that be true? I could not imagine Dubord would be loading each one separately for thousands of caches.:-) I know one of you Pro's will have some great answers!!

My provider is U.S. Cellular..

Great question. If I was to start from scratch, knowing what I know presently, I would buy the high end GPSr. I say this not because it will work better than other GPSr but it definately makes it more fun. Sort of like skiing, any ski will get you down the hill but the higher end stuff makes it more fun.

Cache On!!
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by Waterski View Post
    ... ... ... hint right in the unit? I read a post on a review site, that said you have to separately load each cache if you want the description. Could that be true? I could not imagine Dubord would be loading each one separately for thousands of caches.:-) I know one of you Pro's will have some great answers!!
    This is not true, at least not for the Dakota. From GSAK,I select the caches I want to load and everything is uploaded, including past logs, decrypted hints, etc. etc.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

I use the BB in conjunction with my Garmin GPSr. Using Cacheberry, I can load individual caches or load whatever I have in a PQ or GSAK. I have the description, hints, cords, D/T, etc. I really like it. In my case, my employer provides the BB and is very generous in personal use.

That said, if I were using a Colorado/Oregon/Delorme, most likely I would not get a BB just for this reason. Some cell providers do require a service agreement that must include a data package with RIM. Best to check to see if the cost is worth what you seek.

Perhaps Dan can weigh in on the Colorado/Oregon part knowing he and Di sue them, in addition to a Garmin GPSmap 60 series like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterski View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but wanted to add a few questions....
    I am thinking of updating my phone to the BB. We are also in need of updating the gps. So folks...the BB says it has GPS. The girl at the store could not get it to work and knew nothing about it, even though she tried while I was there. Is there really usable GPS for our purposes of Caching?
    Do you all use a separate GPS unit, and just use the BB to download the information?
    I am torn between these two things...update to a BB, or just get a Oregon or Colorado maybe that does it all with the description, hint right in the unit? I read a post on a review site, that said you have to separately load each cache if you want the description. Could that be true? I could not imagine Dubord would be loading each one separately for thousands of caches.:-) I know one of you Pro's will have some great answers!!
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Where would I get cacheberry, and is that something you must have to load the cache info? Can you load directly from the geocaching page into any of these units, or must you go through Gsak? I got my premium membership, and also have loaded GSAK, but am still trying to figure it all out. I got one page loaded into GSAK, also could not figure out how to get the demo info out of gsak, so now I have great page of Maine caches and California caches on the page. You can stop laughing now. One of these days I will catch up with the masses on paperless caching. ha

Why do you need a BB? Why don't you buy a standard Windows Mobile Phone with GPS? There are plenty of car navigation and geocaching SW for Windows mobile. I'm using HTC Touch HD for everything http://www.htc.com/www/product/touch...ification.html
    HTC just released a new version HD2 which is even better, it also contains electronic compass, larger (multitouch) screen and many other features, see here:
    http://www.htc.com/www/product/hd2/specification.html

If you need a good smartphone stuffed with features, HTC (High Tech Computers) is the only choice. Don's ask some girl in a shop ask a guy who knows.
    Moo

I am stll under a contract with U S Cellular cano until April. They seemed to only offer me the BB. I def. don't really need a blackberry.