vb:literal>

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cache software for Blackberry's

Default Cache software for Blackberry's

Has anyone used this application for Blackberry's? http://www.cacheberry.com

I haven't tried it but it looks cool. They just gave us Blackberrys at work...and they did say we could use them for personal use. This is one way to make sure I take it with me when I go into the woods. I wonder if it will work with GSAK.

I have a similar situation, it's for work and have it with me all the time.....hence the name "crackberry".....I'm addicted to it. That said, I have accessed the GC.com to take a look at an individual cache while looking. Only problem of course is the lack of service in some areas of the state.

I wonder if they would work underwater?
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

This might interest you.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Default Update

Thought I would update this with a short report. I've tried the 30 day trial and it looks like it would be ok. Keeping in mind that I'm "geek challenged"......actually, I'm just challenged......I'll try to describe it.

Once the application is on the Blackberry and on the pc, open a cache on GC.com and click "GPX eXchange File". In the dialog box that opens, select "Save to Disk" and save. Opening the application on both the device and the PC, the files can be transferred. One downside is that only one file at a time can be transferred. Doesn't take long, just would be nice if you could select as many as you want.
    The resulting display shows the caches waypoint ID as well as the name of the cache. Selecting a cache, one will see is much of the placement data such as terrain, difficulty, coordinates, date placed and the owner. The description follows. The hint, encyrpted or not, does not show.

Advantages? In my view:
    • It's paperless
    • Already using a Blackberry? It's only $14.95
    • Transfers are pretty easy
    Disadvantages? Again, my view is:
    • Can only transfer on file at a time to the device.
    • When deleting from the Blackberry, each file must deleted individually. BB users will know that you can delete an entire mailbox with a click or two.
    So, when the free trial is up I'll probably spring for it. After all, it's a gadget-intensive activity isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    So, when the free trial is up I'll probably spring for it. After all, it's a gadget-intensive activity isn't it?

It's starting to be, isn't it. I'm still working with a Garmin Venture and a Palm Z-22 with very little problems. I took the Palm with me when I did the NH Rail Trail. First time I did an extensive amount of paperless caching.

My cell phone company (Unicell) was taken over by Verizon. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Blackberry myself. I really don't use a cell phone all that much, so I'm trying to justify the added expense to myself.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeMainer View Post
    It's starting to be, isn't it. I'm still working with a Garmin Venture and a Palm Z-22 with very little problems. I took the Palm with me when I did the NH Rail Trail. First time I did an extensive amount of paperless caching.

My cell phone company (Unicell) was taken over by Verizon. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Blackberry myself. I really don't use a cell phone all that much, so I'm trying to justify the added expense to myself.

As an employee of the said company(s), I may be able to offer a little information on that. If you go with a BB or any other smart phone at this point, Verizon requires a data package. This means you either have to spend the loot to take a premium calling plan (not cheap IMOO) with unlimited data or spend the extra $15 for the feature itself. The main difference is with the Blackberry, their premium plan is more expensive than the standard calling plan. Personally, I steered away from the free phones being offered and went with an Env2 for $50. It's not considered a smartphone so no data package was required yet it has a full qwerty board for texting and browsing ease. I don't have a palm or anything so I just saved the GC.com search screen as a favorite and revisit the cache page if needed. Works pretty well as long you can get service.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Maybe look into US Cellular. I only pay I think $24 more a month for BB service and have unlimited data.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Maybe look into US Cellular. I only pay I think $24 more a month for BB service and have unlimited data.
    Wow, that sounds like a good deal. I'll look it up.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.