vb:literal>

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cache software for Blackberry's

You can look at www.cacheberry.com. In addition to Cacheberry (free for a number of days, then it requires purchase. Very reasonable), you would need the Blackberry Desktop Manager that will come with the Blackberry device. From there you can 1) download individual caches and load in or 2) Do a PQ and load via GSAK. It's quite easy. As for GSAK, play with it and ask questions here.

Cano mentions Windows-based devices as well. Why do I use the Blackberry? The price was right .

Quote Originally Posted by Waterski View Post
    Where would I get cacheberry, and is that something you must have to load the cache info? Can you load directly from the geocaching page into any of these units, or must you go through Gsak? I got my premium membership, and also have loaded GSAK, but am still trying to figure it all out. I got one page loaded into GSAK, also could not figure out how to get the demo info out of gsak, so now I have great page of Maine caches and California caches on the page. You can stop laughing now. One of these days I will catch up with the masses on paperless caching. ha
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

It looks nice. Who is your cell service provider?

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Why do you need a BB? Why don't you buy a standard Windows Mobile Phone with GPS? There are plenty of car navigation and geocaching SW for Windows mobile. I'm using HTC Touch HD for everything http://www.htc.com/www/product/touch...ification.html
    HTC just released a new version HD2 which is even better, it also contains electronic compass, larger (multitouch) screen and many other features, see here:
    http://www.htc.com/www/product/hd2/specification.html

If you need a good smartphone stuffed with features, HTC (High Tech Computers) is the only choice. Don's ask some girl in a shop ask a guy who knows.

I am stll under a contract with U S Cellular cano until April. They seemed to only offer me the BB. I def. don't really need a blackberry.
    You don't need any contract, HTC is selling SIM unlocked smartphones of course, you can use it with any SIM card with any operator in the world. Just put your SIM card to a new phone. I bought a prepaid SIM card with some nokia phone from T-mobile, throw nokia to garbage and use the SIM card with my HTC HD. I prepay always $100 which lasts a year and that's all I pay for my cell phone service. I don't need to tie myself to any expensive contracts When my operator pisses me off, I just throw his SIM card away and buy from another one anytime I want.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    It looks nice. Who is your cell service provider?
    Who ever I want to any time I want to. Currently I have US T-mobile SIM card.
    Moo

That is dirt cheap for the phone. Where,and how much did you have to pay for the phone though? Hundreds?

I meant, dirt cheap for the phone service.

PM- This cacheberry looks like a good program. What do you get with just the BB? I am assuming you can just check the regular groundspeak internet page, right?

I can get the blackberry for about one hundred dollars right not, with rebates. They do charge an extra $25.00 a month though for the service.

That is dirt cheap for the phone. Where,and how much did you have to pay for the phone though? Hundreds?
    I bought it on the Internet and had it shipped from UK. It cost around $800. I was laughing I can double price of my car just putting a cellphone in it. (I had an old one back that time). It is cheaper now I guess, but still it's a lot of money for a cellphone you may think, however your total cost of ownership during two years is: $800+$100+$100 which is $40 per months assuming you throw it to the garbage after, if you sell it just for $200 it's $33 per months, I guess that's at least how much you pay now for your contract. if you keep it 3 years it will cost you $25 per month. You will get an all in one tool, you can keep it with you all the time in your pocket. I don't need to carry a backpack of gadgets with me I use it for car navigation, geocaching, for browsing the internet and email and as a cellphone of course. I just need to load my PQs to only one device. When I travel I don't carry my laptop with me, because this cellphone has a large enough screen to browse Internet and emails. It has a very good digital camera (for a cellphone) with autofocus, it will not substitute your camera, but it gets its job done, it's great for taking picture of documents, it's sharp and focused even at close distance.
    Moo

Quite frankly, I'm not sure. Our IT department sets them up for the employees that have them. It magically appeared one morning on my desk. Cano is making some very good points, I like the BB because of what it does and what it cost me, $0. My employer requires I be in constant contact via email and phone with our 25 regional offices in 25 countries. So, the BB is always with me. Are there better/cheaper/more extensive/no contract/breakfast making/car washing devices available? Probably.
    I'm familiar with what Cano is describing as it is what I do when I travel. I have a phone that I use internationally and purchase pre-paid SIM card and pre-paid cards, (Although this is becoming more and more difficult in Central Europe due to anti-terrorism laws. Some countries are requiring passports to purchase SIM cards and limit quantity.) it is much cheaper than having an international wireless plan. Whereas in North America, we generally only utilize contract cellular service, resulting in some very competitive pricing from service providers. Pay as you go here in the States is usually Trac Fone or some similar service. Again, Cano has a valid point. Examine the total costs.

Regarding getting it from cyperspace to your BB, it's very easy. On the cache page, click on GPX eXchange file, download to your desktop, transfer to the BB and then delete from the desktop. Or, run a PQ and load it that way.

In the end, what's the total cost and what is the value of what I get. Now that I've rambled on, hopefully an Oregon/Colorado/Delorme user will add in some comments.

PM- This cacheberry looks like a good program. What do you get with just the BB? I am assuming you can just check the regular groundspeak internet page, right?