vb:literal>

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The CENTUM Challenge, GC1KCQW

Default wow!

Jim of Shuman Road Searchers and I headed North around 8 this morning after the first 32 were published. We got them all and had 10 FTF's but cano is still out there and he may be on a record breaking FTF run. We were headed back when another 50 or so came out and we headed up route 9 but got stuck on the Great Pond Road. This should be a very doable Centrum for most. What an effort by Mike!!!!!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default Holy crap!

I'm gonna need a wagon here in a minute if I read this again. I can't catch my breath. Ha, ha, ha, ha. Oh my God! Help!

Sesquisentennial Challenge. Hummmm, that gives me an idea. I know where to do it, but I just don't think I could put that many out in one day. Without a little training anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    Oh my......You know, Ekidokai, I was going to write to you to tell you how crazy you were for listing all of those in the Bangor City Forest caches on the same day. It makes it way too easy for the phone alert boys to go out and scoff them up before anyone else even sees them. I would have listed them one day at a time. Well, I just turned my computer on (8:15pm on Saturday) and fell right off my chair.

It's time for Dan's Top 10 List:

#10 - I think Maine still has laws about inciting a riot
    #9 - I've taken the liberty of informing the three ambulance services that cover
    the Stud Mill Road and Route 9 to pre-stage ambulances out there to
    reduce response times to the accidents that are certain to occur from FTF
    seekers sliding in to ground zero(s)
    #8 - How fast can I obtain a permit to set up a hot dog/hamburger cart?
    #7 - Don't look now, but the boys outside your door are wearing white coats.
    We can do this one of two ways....either you go voluntarily or you go by
    being "blue papered."
    #6 - Gob-ler has hired a helicopter
    #5 - I had no idea they had installed traffic lights out on the Stud Mill Road!
    #4 - The Maine Office on Tourism has the "Governor's Award" for outstanding efforts
    to bring tourists to Maine (true). Mike, this will surely go national.
    #3 - I recall that GPSFun originally turned down my request for the 6 caches at my
    Geo Zoo saying that, although the rules state that you must maintain at
    least .10 mile between caches, Groundspeak really discourages "power runs".
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    #2 - The Centum Challenge has suddenly become less of a challenge. Should there
    now be a Sesquisentennial Challenge?
    #1 - Bless you Mike. This was quite an effort on your part. Sincerely, there are
    many geocachers that will be very thankful. I did over 1,000 finds in my first
    year but have had to severely curtail my geocaching since then. I just might
    make 2,000 thanks to you. This is unprecidented......

If only I had been in the state! Out of town, out of state, taking care of business.

Sounds like you all had fun!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Unhappy The Centum Challenge...

Mike you do understand that the object was to FIND 100 caches in a day, not to PLACE 100 caches in a day.

Not to be-little your efforts, but now anyone can grab 100 caches in a day. It is now no longer a challenge.

I'm sorry that I feel this way, but as most that know me I do state my feelings. When I did the Centum with Kathie and Sudonim it took us 13.5 hours. We did it quickly compared to others. When we were done it felt like we accomplished a challenge.

You're a good guy Mike and I applaud you for long hard work putting out this monumental number of caches. As for Cano, he must think he is in heaven with all the FTF opportunities. I'm guessing he is still out there somewhere, finishing them up. Good for him....
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Mike you do understand that the object was to FIND 100 caches in a day, not to PLACE 100 caches in a day.

Not to be-little your efforts, but now anyone can grab 100 caches in a day. It is now no longer a challenge.

I'm sorry that I feel this way, but as most that know me I do state my feelings. When I did the Centum with Kathie and Sudonim it took us 13.5 hours. We did it quickly compared to others. When we were done it felt like we accomplished a challenge.

You're a good guy Mike and I applaud you for long hard work putting out this monumental number of caches. As for Cano, he must think he is in heaven with all the FTF opportunities. I'm guessing he is still out there somewhere, finishing them up. Good for him....

LOL! I was looking to Portland to do the "challenge" and using GSAK I choose a cache in the middle and searched for a 5.0 mile radius and came up with more than enough caches to complete the Centum Challenge. I think those that haven't achieved large "found" numbers, the challenge is more about actually setting out to do it than the actual feat of logging 100 caches. No matter where or how you do the centum challenge, its going to be a long day. I don't think placing 100-125 caches makes a mockery of the Centum challenge at all. I think it compliments it rather nicely actually and I don't have to worry about parking like I would in Portland.

I say Kudos to Mike for the huge undertaking.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

To each his own. There are those who want to do the challenge just to be able to say they have done it. Mikes would be a great place to do that. Some others want to do the challenge in a more difficult setting. Because some cache differently than others there are options for just about everyone now. I would do either because I would do it with someone and enjoy their company. One of the things I enjoy the most about caching has and is the chance to meet people and to have fun caching with them. I do not care if the hides are hikers or p&g's because it is more about having fun with a friend and creating memories that I can forget when I get old!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

i've been busy the last few months with moving, get settled in the new home, dealing with a minor medical issue and of course cant forget the nickelback concerts. sounds like fun, gets me out of the house for a day. look forward to the challenge

Default Just to clarify

Mike, it was herculean effort on your part to place all these caches. I guess that for many these will be a chance to see some new territory on the Stud Mill Road. I will get out there and peck away at them little by little. Thanks for the new caches.
    Happy Trails!

I was afraid this would irritate some on here. Brdad for one because he really doesn't like micros and insignificant caches. That's fine with me. I really hate nano's and have just stood and wondered at quite a few caches why I was brought to that spot.

I was really worried about setting people off about the Centrum Challenge also. I for one would never try it. I'm just not that fast and I like to look around too much. I did check with a couple cachers I knew that had done the Centrum and they had no problem with it. I truly and deeply apologize to anyone that feels I was attempting to cheapen anyones accomplishments. Like I stated, I don't think I could ever do it.

I have been looking at all the caches out there with 1 or two logs to them. I thought if I gave people another reason to travel out there they might see more wilderness than ever before. I also wanted to see if it could be done.

Then of coarse I was hoping to draw more people in. With a concentration of caches like that out in the wild, who could resit. I know I saw the biggest turtle ever out there, tons of rabbits, two moose playing, and an eagle I think. The eagle kind of starred me down, it wasn't about to move so I left.

And believe it or not I really appreciate hearing any feelings one way or the other. How else am I going to know what people think. Critique of any kind I think is good.

So please take the good with the bad and let it go.

Ekidokai, I really appreciate your ability to understand (or at least listen to) both sides without getting wound up. That says a lot about a person. I take no issue with you personally, your caches were approved after all.

Edit: And before I get accused of it, my issue is not with the approver either, he's just going by his guidelines.
    Last edited by brdad; 06-14-2009 at 02:14 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."