vb:literal>

Thread: Winter tent stakes

Hybrid View

Default Winter tent stakes

I am looking for some winter tent stakes for camping. I found some online for $1.50 but I need them now. Does anyone know where I can get some in Maine? or someplace where I can get them quickly?
    Blazing Troll

I don't use stakes in the winter. The winter winds are always breaking off small twigs, so they are plenty of them on top of the snow. Take a few bungie cords and wrap them around the middle of the twig. Bury the twig about 6" to a foot in the snow. Pack the snow with your boot. You may even want to tie a little cord on the end so you don't break your bungies getting them out.

If you want winter stakes, try Beans.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Also once you have the twig buried in the snow just pour some water over it and let it freeze. They won't go anywhere after that til spring thaw...
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Well I had thought about twigs but this is not for a tent. I have been doing some winter camping experimenting in my hammock. I need something to hold down my tarp that is separate from my hammock. Sometimes the wind gets up under the tarp. I was not sure if the twigs would cut the mustard. I was able to sleep in my hammock last weekend comfortable at 11 degrees so I am getting somewhere with this experimenting.
    Blazing Troll

Try it in your backyard. You may need to use larger sticks instead of twigs, but there is likely to be just about any size you need almost anywhere in Maine's woods. Just don't use anything off of standing trees, of course.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

The other reason was I did not want to have to dig through four feet of snow to find a twig.
    Blazing Troll