vb:literal>

Thread: Outside Events in Bangor - Planners Beware - Approvers Notice

Default Outside Events in Bangor - Planners Beware - Approvers Notice

Well, in the times of more and more Government control, anyone planning an outdoor event in Bangor on City property should beware. The City of Bangor has established a new policy regarding permits for an "event".

I am not aware of their Municipal defiinition of an event but I presume it is general and has something to do with a gathering. Here is the Bangor Daily News link to the article. Believe me, I do not believe the BDN is a total authority. I do, however, believe if I was thinking about having and publishing an event in a public area or park in Bangor, after this news article, I would be checking with Parks and Rec to see about the rules and if what I was doing fell under this regulation.

What hurts is the application fee and also the fact this is another layer of regulation.

Angry Sigh

Well, I guess that we will have to keep the Bangor events at the Sea Dog They mentioned tents. I wonder if this is set up to regulate big events like a company outing. It would be hard to believe that the City would charge for a birthday party or boy scout event. Then again, maybe they would.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    Well, I guess that we will have to keep the Bangor events at the Sea Dog They mentioned tents. I wonder if this is set up to regulate big events like a company outing. It would be hard to believe that the City would charge for a birthday party or boy scout event. Then again, maybe they would.
    Yeah, I hear ya about the bbday party for Scout event......although know that they will be hitting up the local Kennel club. As for Sea Dog there are other venues which would excite me more.......my last experience at an event there - the food I paid for was awful!

This was just a heads up to anyone planning or approving.

I don't think they would do that, that would just make it seem like they were out to make a dollar.....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Now a days money talks.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

After I am done my little job for the tax season, I would be happy to go down to Parks and Rec and inquire about more details..........unless of course, someone else has time and wants to do it sooner.

If someone does go down, please either let me know or post to this thread so we won't duplicate effort. Many town/cities have different definitions of, and regulations on, gatherings.

I know with my event, several folks have commented on my having a PortAPotty. Although it does help prevent overload on my septic system, it is required in my town for a gathering outdoors with the potential of a certain number of people (there is no mention in the ordinance of whether or not indoor plumbing is available). The Geocaching event has the potential to meet the magic number. With my husband being a Selectman - we figured we would just comply - and yes, it does help our private system.

There are many reasons for a town/city having folks do an application but the fee - well, OMHO is a bit steep in the new Bangor rules.

Again, I will get more details in early May unless someone cares to inquire sooner.

I do think things such as weddings at Cascade park (up by EMMC - there is a cache there) were mentioned and are now regulated. Again, a copy of the ruling/ordinance/policy/whatever it is really needs to be obtained to know the full impact of this new regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Again, a copy of the ruling/ordinance/policy/whatever it is really needs to be obtained to know the full impact of this new regulation.
    Go here and click on chapter 202. I think this is what you're talking about. The key provisions are the definition of "Public Assembly" in para 202-2, and "Permit Required" in para 202-4.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Go here and click on chapter 202. I think this is what you're talking about. The key provisions are the definition of "Public Assembly" in para 202-2, and "Permit Required" in para 202-4.
    WereRWe? - you are right - that is the correct area of their web site to read it on line. The disclaimer at the top is key - it has been recently (within the past week) revised. The fee was increased and another key would be the wording on in definitions - not sure if any portion of those was changed.

Better to be safe than sorry, IMHO.
    Last edited by hollora; 02-15-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: left off a piece