vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 100 plus finds in ONE day!

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    Yeah, but Nashville doesn't have Gobbler with his 'trick' hides to deal with.
    True. There are many more people there interested in the numbers than are here.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Cacheville caches

I need to start thinking about PQ's for Nashville soon. It will be here before I know it.
    Happy Trails!

Default Numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    True. There are many more people there interested in the numbers than are here.
    Not sure what you mean here. Are you suggesting that being "interested in numbers" is a bad thing? Lots of us, including you, love the stats., ours, theirs, all stats. Can we just be proud of gob-ler's 100 plus day without trying to qualify the effort with "what ifs" and how could it have been more impressive? Is there a more "purist" way to do this many caches in one day?

I've said it before, if somebody starts a thread about another cachers accomplishments ( like I did sincerely here), why not just embrace the moment? If it doesn't seem like a big deal, then just move along quietly. I'm impressed with your computer wizardry, ability to create statistical data bases and the 2000 plus posts you have here....but I'll never post anything suggesting or even hinting that another's cacher's accomplishments are more or less impressive then yours,mine, or anybody else that posts here.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Not sure what you mean here. Are you suggesting that being "interested in numbers" is a bad thing? Lots of us, including you, love the stats., ours, theirs, all stats. Can we just be proud of gob-ler's 100 plus day without trying to qualify the effort with "what ifs" and how could it have been more impressive? Is there a more "purist" way to do this many caches in one day?

I've said it before, if somebody starts a thread about another cachers accomplishments ( like I did sincerely here), why not just embrace the moment? If it doesn't seem like a big deal, then just move along quietly. I'm impressed with your computer wizardry, ability to create statistical data bases and the 2000 plus posts you have here....but I'll never post anything suggesting or even hinting that another's cacher's accomplishments are more or less impressive then yours,mine, or anybody else that posts here.
    I was not suggesting it is a bad or a good thing - I was merely suggesting that a higher percentage of cachers from one area favor the numbers over other areas. Just like some areas favor puzzle caches or multis or nanos. If a person were to attempt doing 100 or more caches in a day, it would probably be easier for them to cache in a area dense in caches which are hidden "for the numbers". In the statement you quoted, I was agreeing with Sudonim that it would be much harder to find a large number in a day if those caches included some of Gob-lers hides, which can be tough.

I only veered from the original topic because I was asked if I knew any stats concerning the number of finds in a day. I made it clear in my post it was not an attempt to discredit Gob-ler and then explained why I could not produce any valid facts about any others who I have heard claimed high daily numbers. Not for a minute do I think Gob-ler made this accomplishment in any manner that I or anyone else would dispute. If he or anyone else took it the wrong way I am sorry.

If you search through my posts, you'll see I don't compare individual accomplishments either. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I have mentioned many times how 20 finds for one person may be as tough as 2 for the next. None of us approach a cache the same way. Some cachers are short of breath walking 100 feet to a cache in 5 minutes - Others can jog to 10 caches in a couple hours. I quite dislike comparing one cacher's numbers to any other cacher's numbers.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Congrats Gob-ler... you rock!!! We are so happy that you are enjoying all of the challenges you put in front of yourself.

We did 3 caches today and one was an Earthcache that required a boat but we snow-shoed to it today, that was our accomplishment for the day a D 1.5 T 5 cache on snow-shoes.

Again Congrats Gob-ler for your accomplishment!!!

I started thinking last night that I might give this challenge a try sometime this summer. There's a few clusters of caches in the Exeter - Epping - Newmarket area. It'd be a bit of haul and a challenge, but it looks doable.

I told my wife I'd like to try to do this. I don't think she was totally impressed.

Anyone like to team up?
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

I've read this thread with interest, sitting on my hands, trying to be good. But here goes. Gob-ler's day of caching was an accomplishment, truly. 15.5 hours with that many finds averages out to a find (and sign the log) every 8.5 minutes or so. And when he mentions rush hour traffic slowing things up you can assume the average time per cache was even much less. Now let's all face it...this was not quality caching... taking in the scenery, going to a mountain top, finding places we have never been before, etc. Baloney, this was purely a sprint (quick! run to the next one!) effort to run up the numbers and try for 100 in a day. Dick will tell you the same thing, it was no accident. That's why he went to where he did to do it. That day it was, unabashedly, all about the numbers, period.

Now when you look at Gob-ler's stats you will see his record full of easy finds, difficult finds, treks to the mountain tops, long treks across trail systems in other states and finds that many of us avoid. If he just did easy caches his numbers would be much lower. Now I do think Dick is obsessed (perhaps possessed) and perhaps needs addiction counseling ;-) but his proficiency with geocaching is laudable. His dedication to geocaching is unsurpassed and I tip my hat to a 100-find day. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    I've read this thread with interest, sitting on my hands, trying to be good. But here goes. Gob-ler's day of caching was an accomplishment, truly. 15.5 hours with that many finds averages out to a find (and sign the log) every 8.5 minutes or so. And when he mentions rush hour traffic slowing things up you can assume the average time per cache was even much less. Now let's all face it...this was not quality caching... taking in the scenery, going to a mountain top, finding places we have never been before, etc. Baloney, this was purely a sprint (quick! run to the next one!) effort to run up the numbers and try for 100 in a day. Dick will tell you the same thing, it was no accident. That's why he went to where he did to do it. That day it was, unabashedly, all about the numbers, period.

Now when you look at Gob-ler's stats you will see his record full of easy finds, difficult finds, treks to the mountain tops, long treks across trail systems in other states and finds that many of us avoid. If he just did easy caches his numbers would be much lower. Now I do think Dick is obsessed (perhaps possessed) and perhaps needs addiction counseling ;-) but his proficiency with geocaching is laudable. His dedication to geocaching is unsurpassed and I tip my hat to a 100-find day. Congrats!
    Exactly - thanks EMSDanel!

Default He's done it AGAIN!

We may need to do a "caching intervention" on gob-ler. He went out again in the middle of the night again in Maryland and did 110 this time! I'd say he's got "5000 fever" and needs that milestone so he won't miss the Spring Turkey Hunt. Go Dick go, you caching fiend!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

You know, they use methodone doses to wean off a person who is out of control with heroin. Do you suppose Gob-ler will have to find a few letter boxes if he ever tries to get his caching under control? :-))