vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TB Etiquette

Question TB Etiquette

At yesterday's event I engaged in and eavesdropped (sorry, habit from work ) on a few conversations about TB's and Geocoins. I've got four or 5 TB's out there, one of which has gone to ground. I've released one coin, which I had about 50 cents invested in, so I was comfortable with letting it go.

I've seen one coin that was scanned in, printed out and encased in Poly released. I thought that it was a neat way to send out a coin and still keep it for a collection. I got a mixed reaction to that, some thought it was a good idea, others thought it was cheating.

The other conversation was about TB's. Typically, I exchange them one for one. If I see a lot of TB's in a hotel, I might grab an extra, just to get it moving. There were a lot of TB's left on the table at Eustis, so I grabbed 10 and put them out in N.H. the next weekend. (I was helping to clean up and there about 25 or so hanging around) My question here is: Am I breaking any kind of TB etiquette by moving around too many TB's or coins. Is it better to grab a few TB's out of a cache and move them around, or leave them be? I know I really enjoy reading where my TB's move too and I have no issues with where they go. Does anyone have any thoughts about coins and bugs and what best to do with them?
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Good question and one that I had thought of yesterday at the event. We left a little early so I only grabbed one as I had only brought one. I would've like to have taken more (one for each kid to choose) but didn't want to be a TB hog. So I'll let the veterans decide if taking more is okay or not.

One the other question, taking a bunch in a cache--I think if it were my TB I would want it to move rather than sit in a cache so taking them is fine. I do try to leave one if I'm taking one or two though, just so someone else behind me can take one as well. Although if it were a cache that was not visited very often, I would take them all just to get them moving again.
    Last edited by ltlindian; 01-26-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added text

Generally, travelers are not subject to the same rules as SWAG. If you are going somewhere that will help the travelers satisfy their missions then I don't see any reasons for limitations. Some people that have travel bug hotels may make rules limit how many you take ( 1 for 1 for example) but the general consensus I have seen most people have is just move them on as much as you can. However, if I am wrong here feel free to correct me people.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

If I see a TB I'll pick it up, see where it's been and put it in another cache to move it along. I own 8 and most of them are doing good.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Team V3 View Post
    Generally, travelers are not subject to the same rules as SWAG. If you are going somewhere that will help the travelers satisfy their missions then I don't see any reasons for limitations. Some people that have travel bug hotels may make rules limit how many you take ( 1 for 1 for example) but the general consensus I have seen most people have is just move them on as much as you can. However, if I am wrong here feel free to correct me people.
    Some folks consider a cache where you have to trade trackable for trackable a "Jail". My Emporium started with that rule but I have since changed it.

Keep 'em moving - just log 'em!

We have 3 out there. They were all picked up in like October. So far only one has been moved on but I am not worried yet. Caching really slows down at this time of year and I am sure the person plans on moving the others when we get some good caching weather
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

We love to see our TBs move so if anyone finds any of ours please move it along...as it is in their name "Travel" Bug, not "sit in a cache" bug. We have been to many events and have found that many times once everyone has cleared out there are lots of bugs "left over". If there are still quite a few waiting to be picked up, we will check to see if there are a few more that we could help move along. We enjoy moving bugs around and watching where they go and looking at where they come from.
    As a TB owner our rule is keep it moving

Now on another related subject:
    If you own a cache and there is a bug listed in it that you know is not there and hasn't been there for a long time do you mark it as missing? We are wondering if cache owners even know that they can mark a bug/coin that is supposed to be in their cache but has gone MIA as missing. This lets other cachers and the TB/coin owner that it is not in the cache. If at a later time it is found elsewhere, then it can still be picked up/grabbed and moved along.

Quote Originally Posted by team moxiepup View Post
    Now on another related subject:
    If you own a cache and there is a bug listed in it that you know is not there and hasn't been there for a long time do you mark it as missing? We are wondering if cache owners even know that they can mark a bug/coin that is supposed to be in their cache but has gone MIA as missing. This lets other cachers and the TB/coin owner that it is not in the cache. If at a later time it is found elsewhere, then it can still be picked up/grabbed and moved along.
    Ah - yes, thank you for bringing this to the front - an important point. And another point....as the cache owner, what will and can you do to help locate what happened to a trackable? I have gone to look at the log, emailed folks about perhaps taking one and even recovered a few. So, this is a multi-layered effort.

Thank you to TMP for mentioning the effort on the part of the cache owner.

Before marking any as missing we have always checked it out for ourselves and checked the log for any indication of who or when it was picked up.

Default Admitting it is the first step....

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Ah - yes, thank you for bringing this to the front - an important point. And another point....as the cache owner, what will and can you do to help locate what happened to a trackable? I have gone to look at the log, emailed folks about perhaps taking one and even recovered a few. So, this is a multi-layered effort.

Thank you to TMP for mentioning the effort on the part of the cache owner.
    I have to admit, I had not even thought of this. I have a cache in Waterville that has two bugs listed. One of the last logs states that one bug is actually in a cache about 2 miles away. I had considered fixing the problem, but both are under 2 ft. of snow now. One is a coin owned by Evilhomer. He has one of my coins........... Perhaps a prisoner exchange....
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?