vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motels, Anyone?

Default Motels, Anyone?

Since we live so far from most Maine "centers of geocaching", we like to take overnight trips. And since husband doesn't like to camp anymore, that means a motel room for one or two nights. Some places I can find on the internet but others I draw a blank. So I'd like to hear from cachers in different parts of the state: what motel would you recommend to friends and family? What is the best "locals" restaurant and is it near the motel? I like quiet, outside of the city places. In the Eustis-Stratton area where we live I recommend the Spillover Motel and the Looney Moose restaurant (the Porter House burned and the Looney Moose is the chef's new enterprise). Since we're from Boothbay Harbor originally (before retirement) I can recommend places there too: Flagship Inn, Mama D's for breakfast and lunch, Thistle Inn for dinner.... And we have stayed in Stonington (warning.. no restaurants open on Sunday nights, we ate cold pizza in our very nice room), Greenville, Jackman, a week in Orrington at Loon Hollow (nice but a bit expensive). Each place we go I gather tips and hints that might be useful to other people. So what have you got to offer for advice in your area or areas you have gone caching? Clean places, with comfortable beds, not TOO expensive..... Maine only. And I'm willing to offer hints in detail to those who want that.
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

We travel quite a bit on caching trips too, and in Presque Isle, we really liked the Northeastland Hotel. We're always concerned about finding a place with a good restaurant, and we're very pleased with the food there. It's fairly reasonable, right downtown but with lots of parking, has good rooms, and WIRELESS INTERNET! LOL!

(The next time you see RULOST2?, ask her about the Chocolate Margarita they serve there...)

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    We travel quite a bit on caching trips too, and in Presque Isle, we really liked the Northeastland Hotel. We're always concerned about finding a place with a good restaurant, and we're very pleased with the food there. It's fairly reasonable, right downtown but with lots of parking, has good rooms, and WIRELESS INTERNET! LOL!

(The next time you see RULOST2?, ask her about the Chocolate Margarita they serve there...)
    What about places in the Waterville area? I realized yesterday I need a day or two there.....
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

Default Waterville

While there are several hotels in Waterville, I would stay away from most. I owned a 50 room motel on Kennedy Drive that is franchised but the new owners are not getting it done.

My ONLY serious recommendation would be the Hampton Inn on Kennedy Drive. You would be unhappy with the others. Remember, from November until mid June, the hotels are rarely full so don't grab the first rate you're offered. Rack rate is for folks who don't know better. A mild protest will get you 10% immediately, what we call STD (standard traveler discount) Toss in AAA AARP and tell them you're going to call other hotels and you'll be at 20% off rack!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default Rockwood

Di and I honeymooned this summer at one of our favorite out of the way places, Maynard's of Maine (see their website)

This place has individual cabins overlooking the Moose River. If you have a boat, bring it, Moosehead is only a half mile down the River.

The cabins are RUSTIC. No matching furniture, no hot tubs, 14 inch tv, no wifi. There's a main lodge and dining room with terrific breakfast and dinner meals. Folks from Greenville come up Friday's for the prime rib.

The cabins rent for next to nothing. A whole week for us with meals was less then 100 per day. If you like basic, comfortable and don't mind an occasional moose or deer running by your camp, this is a great find!

Default Fort Kent

About 3 miles out of town there's 4 new cottages at Viollete Settlement known as Camel Brook Camps. These places are right on an ITS trail so they're full most of the winter months ( that means all months except July and August in that part of our state!) Neat clean, well laid out and if you bring a large group the biggest cottage sleeps 14! Jean is a first class gentleman and keeps the place spotless. Why stay in a hotel when you can have a whoe camp to yourself for $60 a night?

Default Cottages/Houses

I like cottages, houses and camps too, especially since our disabled daughter likes to go with us (doesn't like caching, but likes to travel almost anywhere) so I have to rent two rooms in a motel. And of course, IAMPAW likes to come too and for serious caching, I need her there! For those of you who want that type of accomodation try www.heartsofmaine.com I got a very nice place rented for early September this year, lots of room, on a lake/pond, for half what I paid at Loon Hollow in Orrington. Try off season and not on the ocean, east of Ellsworth for rates that look good to me. But Loon Hollow and caching in Orrington and meeting all those nice people was worth its weight in gold. Thanks for the memories guys. Really good caching there....

Machias Motor Inn........Helen's resturant is in the parking lot...."What's so great about that?" you say?....PIES! (All the food there is great!)

This seems to be the only "good" accomadations in the Machias area. (that I know about)

whenever we go to Jackman we stay at Riverview Cottages owned by John Bashaw. We bought his house in Boothbay so we know him that way. He and his wife, her name eludes me right now, are great and we get a whole cabin for $60! I think it's $30/night per adult. Maybe they give us a deal..... I'm not sure, we do bring a lobster feed when we go up there. There is dishtv and a kitchen so you can cook if you want. Bishop's store is always open for food or Mama Bear's for diner like food.

They are usually pretty booked during hunting season and certainly for snowmobile season, so if you want to go during those times, call ahead. Here is the link:
    http://www.rvcgs.com/index.html

He is a Registered Maine Guide too so if you need those services then he is available.

Default Machias Motor Inn

Ditto on this place. Ask for rooms in the new section. PLUS, the lobsta stew has claw meat only and a whole bunch at that! No martinis though.