vb:literal>

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Third Annual Winter Campout.

What are we coming to anyway???? Cell phones and laptops to go on a snowmobiling trip. I thought the purpose was to get away from all that?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Well - I heard Vic set up a "Hot Spot" LOL ~ Looks like folks are going to try it out! LOL

Sorry folks - I couldn't resist!

Default Hot Spot

The only hot spot I saw was around the fire ring.
    Happy Trails!

Well this years winter camping event has left me with very mixed emotions. On the one hand being closer to the road made it so much easier for everyone to get to the event, but I feel we gave up a beautiful natural location to accomplish this move. Being close to the road allowed all us easy access to our vehicles so we all could go out to the local restaurants for breakfasts, but this means we missed those wonderful breakfasts that Tat has made us in the past. Being close to the road did allow us to have one of the best potlucks we have had at any event, summer or winter, thanks to everyone who contributed to all the wonderful selections we had to choose from. Another great thing about this years event was the new attendees, so wonderful to get to know all of you, the down side being some of our regulars who were missing this year, wasn't the same without you. Maybe will have to do two winter events in Abbot next year, one in the woods and one close to the road, let me know your thoughts on this so we can plan accordingly for next year.

Sorry I mess up the poker run drawing and hope for every one who did it that the snowshoe trek was a good enough prize in itself. Thanks to all that help with this years event, and thanks for the weather.

Vic

I cannot believe the attitudes. This is probably one of the better events I have attended and spending two nights and three days with fellow geocachers made it worth the trip to Abbot. The turnout was spectacular. It would have been nice if people would not have robbed me of all the hot water on Friday night though. Every time I put water on the fire to heat up I would walk to the privy and when I got back everyone drank it all. I put some more on and then I ran to my truck to get something and when I got back everyone drank it all again. Three times this happed. I finally learned to stay at the fire ring until the hot water want done.

I had such a great time. I really wish I could make the event again next year. The problem is that I will be driving down to Georgia at that time next year if everything falls into place like I want it to.

Vic, thank you for putting on such a great event. Keep it up.

Here are some pictures you can click on to see the full size or you can just go to the Gatherings and Events gallery.

Yes there really is a Firefight Jake

Tom (Tat) lounging around

Tandemstoker

Lacyndiesel

Laughing Terry show up

Getting the cook area setup

RobT butting together his meal

Cooking going on

The kids had fun too

Looking for scraps

Foods on

Yum, Yum

The late dinner arrivals. I think they got lost.

View of camping area

looking at part of tent city

Path to my site

My setup

Tandemstoker and Vic's tents

Toms tent

Don's tent

Brads tent

Don packing up

Tandemstoker

Lacy leaving

86 Don packing up

Tandem and friend

Don's and is antique (it did not get stuck though)

What, where those coordinates again?

I would walk a mile just to put my skis on

Looking down the entrance

Parking area
    Blazing Troll

Default winterfest 3

When did you find the time to take all these picture's? No wonder you couldn't get a hot cup of water. Good to see ya.Have a safe and enjoyable hike next year on the A-T

Default Yeah, Poor ATroll

Yeah, poor Rick. He couldn't get his hot water no matter what! We had a great time. It was Jon's birthday weekend and he said it couldn't be better. The company was great, the skiing and snowshoeing a good workout, and the food... delicious!

PS... we didn't get lost, we (me) just underestimated the time it would take us to break trail to Barrows Falls. It was well worth the effort.

Thanks Vic and Tom. You guys always do a great job!

A great set of photos, Rick! People hosting events (mea culpa) should try and post photos of events/people/venues. Haffy used to be good for that, but, alas, he's no longer with us...

Talking

The event was great again this year. I had a blast and it was even almost warm enough to go in a t-shirt.... Great seeing everyone and I learned my lesson, allways bring a sled even though the parking is so close....... I could not get my car into the parking area either that or I need to get one of thoose new Jeeps

On side note..... Did anyone find a camp frying pan? Mine did not make the trip home.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    I learned my lesson, allways bring a sled even though the parking is so close....... I could not get my car into the parking area either that or I need to get one of thoose new Jeeps
    Get a sled. It's cheaper and fits in your car.