vb:literal>

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Eustis Event 2009

Default Eustis Event 2009

May I be so bold as to start a "new" thread for this year's event in Eustis? There's a lot of posts about how much fun we had last year and I bet there will be twice as many attendees this year so let's start anew on the planning!

Di and I have 2 labs and think the group site would put them both on "overload" so when does the campground start taking reservations for next year?

This was a great event and a magical place to be in the Fall. We will schedule ourselves around this event so we can take it all in this year! You all should too!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default Eustis Event

Thanks, Dan. We needed a new thread for this one. To start over, the event will be September 25 and 26th. I have reserved the two group campsites (across the road from the main campground) for both nights so the camping is free to you. I have no idea how many will come this year but last year the campers only took up a tiny corner of site # 2. No one used site # 1 at all. There are fire rings, outhouses, picnic tables, but you get the use of all the facilities across the street: hot showers, playground, beach, etc. I pay for the group sites which is why those who use them get free camping. If you want a site in the main campground, call 246-3491, leave a message with your telephone number and they will call you back, sometime. You need to pay for those yourself. A few people reserved sites right after last years event, which was why I really didn't want to change weekends. There are four restaurants, four motels, a couple of B&Bs for those who don't want to camp. It might be good to make motel reservations early because Stratton-Eustis is booming with the TransCanada wind power project.

To answer the question about campsites way out in the woods, I can try to tell people where they are but unless you know the area well it might not be helpful. They are on a first come first serve basis anyway. But if you want more details, PM me.

Last year some people came on Thursday to get started with the caching. Friday is just arrival day for most, a campfire in the group site. Saturday kicks off at the Community Building with breakfast by Team Richards. Some new caches will be published that AM. People dash off to cache, kayak, hike, mountain bike, whatever. We have a potluck dinner at 5:00 followed by door prizes. The building will be open all day with a TB table, some things for children to play with, hot coffee and cocoa, snacks, restrooms. It's informal but it worked well last year. More later....
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

Default We're In!

I am already looking forward to the 2009 event. We had so much fun last year. We will probably reserve a site in the campground. Last year they put us right next to the main playground area, which was great for the kids. In fact, we liked the campground so much we are planning to go up in July for a few days of caching in Canada. Now, to get those silly passport cards.... Does anyone know if kids need them to cross as well?
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

The answer to your question is yes, children (traveling by car) need a Passport card.

Here are some references:

Bottom line: As of June 1, 2009, everyone from every country that comes to Canada by air, land and sea needs a passport or equivalent travel document. Before June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens do not necessarily need a passport entering Canada by land or sea, but need valid ID that proves identity and citizenship.

U.S. citizens ages 18 and under traveling in school groups or other organizations will still be able to enter the U.S. with proof of citizenship alone. Individual children traveling with parents however will require a passport or other secure ID. Not that these two make any sense to me but that is what is in print.

It was our experience last year going into Canada was not the problem but coming back into the US - they scrutionized everything very carefully. It is worth the trip, however, and a great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    Now, to get those silly passport cards.... Does anyone know if kids need them to cross as well?
    Hollora answered the question, but from what I've heard, the federal identity cards are quick and easy - and a lot cheaper than a passport. Here's a good link that explains it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Hollora answered the question, but from what I've heard, the federal identity cards are quick and easy - and a lot cheaper than a passport. Here's a good link that explains it.

They are cheaper and we signed up for them for them last February boys for the Mega event in Quebec that was in August. They came two weeks after the event. I'm sure they have the bugs worked out and it is a lot quicker now but I wouldn't put it off. We didn't have to have them last year birth certificates worked that isn't the case now.

Talking Marked my calendar...

I'll be there and I can't wait. Last year was just too much fun. I'll bring my " Mary" outfit for around the campfire, and my chainsaw, just in case. No need to wash the the Team Tahoe as I know we will get into some of your lovely mud during the weekend. Probably going to stay in the campground again this year as we now know which site to pick. And the potluck........Mmmmmm. Hopefully those who made all of those delicious eats will be there again this year.

Coming up early and staying late.

Dave will you be bringing the tandem?
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Default I'll be there

I will be in attendance with a much more capable off road vehicle. Hope there are some new out in the woods caches for me to go find.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    I will be in attendance with a much more capable off road vehicle. Hope there are some new out in the woods caches for me to go find.
    You won't be able to compete with Mary - she is one crazyyyy lady in a Jeep! But it sure was fun! Haven't laughed that hard in ages ~ Oh the memories!

I can't wait!

Well, since everyone seems to have had such a good time and are anticipating having even more fun I might have to make plans to attend.

I have one question though. I'm kind of a special needs case. Is there power available? I use a CPAP machine so I can breath while sleeping.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.