vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayaks

Default Kayaks

I've decided I'm purchasing a kayak this year and would like to seek the advice of those in the group. Any input on a new purchase would be appreciated. To narrow down input, my kayaking will be flat water and fresh water. I'm a very experienced canoeist dating back to my youth, in regards to paddling, but am not experienced with kayaks. I most likely will not do all-day, long paddling but more along the lines of an afternoon or evening. So, it's more about getting out for a few hours and if I can do a cache or two along the way, great. Please post here or feel free to e/m me. Thanks for your opinions!

Also, I've seen the post about the sale at Old Town Canoe, unfortunately I will be out of the country during that sale.
    Last edited by pm28570; 03-12-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: additional comment
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

The best advise I have is to take out a few and try them b4 you buy them to make sure that you are comfortable with it.

I am looking to get a new kayak also and I like the looks of the pungo 12. A friend of ours has one and loves it. There is merit in "test driving" one since the comfort of the back rest is important.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

I'm 285 lbs.........Will I sink a Kayak?
    I'm fine in a canoe. I can even stand up in one and go.......er....ah...lets just say I can stand up in a canoe.
    Do they make kayaks for fat people??

The Sportsman Show at UM this weekend advertised being able to try out Kayaks and stuff in the pool between demos of other things. I would bring a change of clothes.

I think with your entry you get a ticket for a canoe drawing too.

Talking I'm no little guy....

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/r...re_xl_139.html

I have had this kayak for several years now ( the XL139 ) and enjoy using it on fresh or salt water. The kayak has a wide beam and large enough cockpit to easily climb in and out of.

Try it before you buy it.......or swim to the cache out on that island. You must know if you feel comfortable in the kayak, and also try out several different sizes of paddles.

Ask questions. I'd recommend either Eastern Mountain Sports or L.L.Beans to get your questions answered.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    I'm 285 lbs.........Will I sink a Kayak?
    I'm fine in a canoe. I can even stand up in one and go.......er....ah...lets just say I can stand up in a canoe.
    Do they make kayaks for fat people??
    Sheesh! I'm 295 lbs, and I figure the only way I could get out of a kayak is to turn it over and swim out! LOL!

But my arthritis wouldn't let me get in one to begin with... Sigh...

And the Old Town sale is coming right up - I posted a thread about it. Sometimes you hit what you want and sometimes you dont.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! I'm 295 lbs, and I figure the only way I could get out of a kayak is to turn it over and swim out! LOL!

But my arthritis wouldn't let me get in one to begin with... Sigh...
    I'm a limber 285!

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I thought being an industrial sized, crippled up, bald headed, cigar sucking, Guinea might make me stand out a little.

Last fall I bought a two person inflatable kayak for $45. I haven't tried it out yet and I need a paddle. I'm sure someone might want to be around with a video camera when I try this out.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.