vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gotta, Gotta, Gotta have a Garmin!

Default Gotta, Gotta, Gotta have a Garmin!

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?s...&article=61526

These are the same planes that the Air Guard flies out of Bangor.

Oh my God! That is so good.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Very cool. And quick thinking. We were some glad to have our nuvi on this trip - made navigating much less stressful, all 2621 miles of it! Fun is nearly over now, flying back tomorrow in the AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Very cool. And quick thinking. We were some glad to have our nuvi on this trip - made navigating much less stressful, all 2621 miles of it! Fun is nearly over now, flying back tomorrow in the AM.
    I'm thinking I need to get a Nuvi. what model do you have? What is your opinion of it? I've been looking at the Nuvi 260...

Default 200

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I'm thinking I need to get a Nuvi. what model do you have? What is your opinion of it? I've been looking at the Nuvi 260...
    I have the 200. Cheapest was $100. It works fantastically. Absolutely no problems.

We have a Nuvi 205W (wide screen) and really like it. It's a lot easier to read cache pages on that screen in the daylight than our palm Z22. We used it in DC, PA, VA etc. It even got us through NYC safe and sound with no wrong turns.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb View Post
    We have a Nuvi 205W (wide screen) and really like it. It's a lot easier to read cache pages on that screen in the daylight than our palm Z22. We used it in DC, PA, VA etc. It even got us through NYC safe and sound with no wrong turns.
    When traveling, we always use the 60csx for navigation, but as RULost2? is... Um... Kinda technophobic (but she's doing better since she got her own laptop!), I have to drive and monitor the GPSr. A dash-mounted unit with a BIG screen would be great.

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?s...&article=61526

These are the same planes that the Air Guard flies out of Bangor.
    that's awesome! heh, must've been a magellan on the plane but a garmin in the survival kit...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Default Switch

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    that's awesome! heh, must've been a magellan on the plane but a garmin in the survival kit...
    I think it was the other way around a Garmin on the plane and a Magellan to save the day.

We have the 255W. This was the first real test - we had used it in Maine on a trip to Brunswick and back, but this trip was on roads I have never been on before (14 of the 16 states we passed though I had never been to). It worked well and is easy to see in daytime or night time. I am glad we got one that speaks upcoming turns as well as street names. The voice can be annoying, especially when you decide to make a side trip and it keeps recalculating your route, but when you need it to adjust your route it makes up for it. We like the widescreen too. Signal was great, we lost it in tunnels and under a couple multi-tier expressways, but I think that's to be expected. It did really well through the Western WV hills - Good thing, it was not the kind of neighborhoods we are accustomed to or willing to get lost in, Lee says she will never go back.

The only down sides we experienced are probably the same on all models:

I wish you could adjust the distance or turn off the proximity alert for POIs on the go. I made two files set for two different distances for open road and in-town. Ended up using the in-town version all the time - IIRC I think that was set to .5 mile. At least by leaving the data on the card you can remove the card to shut the alerts off.

We had it take us to two places that were incorrect, a Krispy Kreme in AL - it sent us into a residential neghborhood, at least it was a good neighborhood. And a Hotel in NC - Nuvi put us in some industrial area. Since the maps are common to all units, that will happen to any unit.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."