vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spammers!

Default Spammers!

Wait for it...

So far today we've had 4 "new users" join geocachingmaine.org. All from the same ISP's we've had spammers from before. As usual, I've alerted Rick to them, but we'll probably get spammed before he gets around to deleting them.

Is there anything we can do to prevent these guys from joining? Block a set of IP addresses? They're all coming from the same bunch:

Asia Pacific Network Information Centre (APNIC)

PANAMSAT (this one they've just started using)

RIPE Network Coordination Centre

AFRINIC

What can we do?

I banned three out of the four. They all had different IP addresses.

I banned those addresses from logging back into the web site.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I banned three out of the four. They all had different IP addresses.

I banned those addresses from logging back into the web site.
    I think you ought to dump the 4th one, too! LOL!

(Actually, I think you did get rid of all 4 - I can't find any of them on the membership list: Maw1rik, SIDNEY MORRIS, SELLNOW, and fayk1pSm.)

A list I run has a feature that new users have to get their posts approved before it shows up in the forums. After a few posts I can switch it off. This has worked out perfectly. Spammers don't have time to post anything worthwhile to circumvent this trick.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

More today. sigh
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    A list I run has a feature that new users have to get their posts approved before it shows up in the forums. After a few posts I can switch it off. This has worked out perfectly. Spammers don't have time to post anything worthwhile to circumvent this trick.
    Yes that can be done here to but I don't have the time to sit here and screen everyone that registers on the web site.
    Blazing Troll

Yes that can be done here to but I don't have the time to sit here and screen everyone that registers on the web site.
    I think if you ban the ISP series I notify you about - as I discussed in email to you - we can make some headway against these spammers. But like this guy - by the time I read the notification, check his ISP and notify you, he's already spammed. Since I've got the IP address in front of me when I get the new member notification, and it's easy to check in WHOIS, I'll just keep notifying you about suspicious "members".

And this latest guy - "nonferrousu" - the new member notification was timed at 4:29. By that time he'd posted 6 spam messages.

His ISP is one established by the RIPE Network, and is located in Kiel, Germany, but it's a phony email address, anyway.

If we block all traffic from an IP beginning with 77, sooner or later we'll stop them.

I would be willing to do it. The way I do it for the other list is that all the new people are moderated for at least the first couple of posts. After their posts prove not to be spam I let them post free. This has worked real well.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I would be willing to do it. The way I do it for the other list is that all the new people are moderated for at least the first couple of posts. After their posts prove not to be spam I let them post free. This has worked real well.
    I already screen all "new members", and spammers are pretty easy to identify. We're really just talking about ways to block known spammer IP's.