vb:literal>

Thread: Spammers - And Who Is "nonferrousu" - "banned"

Default Spammers - And Who Is "nonferrousu" - "banned"

The latest proliferation of spammers makes me wonder about today's apparent newbie. 7 identical posts with a link to click on by the same person and under the user ID "banned".

I won't go to their link. It's just frustrating.

Is it the lack of time to "censor" new users that they can automatically just sign up, be on and start these posts? If Rick is to busy, is this something which could be done by a volunteer?

Just wondering. These posts sort of take the fun out of the site.

And - if this person is legit - please, let them post a bit about themselves and caching.

Thanks for listening!

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    The latest proliferation of spammers makes me wonder about today's apparent newbie. 7 identical posts with a link to click on by the same person and under the user ID "banned".

Is it the lack of time to "censor" new users that they can automatically just sign up, be on and start these posts? If Rick is to busy, is this something which could be done by a volunteer?
    I'm pretty sure the a lot of these spammers are actually the same person. Since "nonferrousu" knows that his other user names have been blocked for previous spam, he probably is mocking us by adding "banned" as his user title.

But how would someone screen a new user? As I said in another message, I don't think the system will "hold" a message for review before it's posted publicly. (Maybe Rick can comment on this). If so, we don;t know it's a spammer until they post a message. I notify Rick of any "new member" origination with one of the IP addresses we've been having trouble with, and he has been deleting them. But by the time I get the notification message, the persona has already spammed the site.

Default Spammers

I really think Bruce has a good handle on this issue and think he should be granted the "authority" as an official welcome person on this site to knock these folks off our site as soon as they appear. I'm certain he would do this appropriately if give the power to do so.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I really think Bruce has a good handle on this issue and think he should be granted the "authority" as an official welcome person on this site to knock these folks off our site as soon as they appear. I'm certain he would do this appropriately if give the power to do so.
    Sheesh! I think Rick is smart enough not to let me have access to the web site! LOL!

But we've been exchanging a lot of emails lately, discussing what we can do. I think I've convinced him to start blocking entire IP series - like 77, which is where the guy "nonferrousu" came from (77.133.161.74). The RIPE network handles domains in Europe. We might prevent a few European geocachers from logging on, but probably not many.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! I think Rick is smart enough not to let me have access to the web site! LOL!

But we've been exchanging a lot of emails lately, discussing what we can do. I think I've convinced him to start blocking entire IP series - like 77, which is where the guy "nonferrousu" came from (77.133.161.74). The RIPE network handles domains in Europe. We might prevent a few European geocachers from logging on, but probably not many.
    wouldn't it be easier to alow a single geocacher with a 77 IP. meaning, ban them all but screen the ones who want in?

I nominate Fins2Right to visit all of these spammers.....with the words "Go ahead, make my day."

Default Oh if only......

Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    I nominate Fins2Right to visit all of these spammers.....with the words "Go ahead, make my day."
    If I could just make it overseas..... Jason Bourne Style
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?