vb:literal>

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Maritime Mega July 10, 2010

Hybrid View

Default Maritime Mega July 10, 2010

we are hoping this will be a Mega. A lot of work to do but should be fun

http://www.geocachingonline.com/2009...ga-event-2010/
    Make love not micros

So very excited to see this and have it on my calendar. Thanks for the post.

Hmmm... This could be a possibility for us. Right in the middle of when we planned to take vacation, and we were planning on going back to Gaspe anyway... and we had such a great time on our last caching trip to Nova Scotia...

We'll definitely keep this in mind as our vacation plans firm up.

Default Can't wait Todd

I have been wishing for an excuse to come to NS to cache and visit. Now I have a better than good reason. I have it on my calender now. See you at GW.
    Happy Trails!

Default Mega Link

I was kind of hoping that this event would be in New Brunswick. Not that I don't like Nova Scotia, but I will never, ever, under any conditions, ride on the Cat again. It was the first time that I was so sea sick that I wished for sweet sleep. In fact, in order to get back on for the trip back, I hit the local bar at Noon. The cat left at 7 pm..........
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    I was kind of hoping that this event would be in New Brunswick. Not that I don't like Nova Scotia, but I will never, ever, under any conditions, ride on the Cat again. It was the first time that I was so sea sick that I wished for sweet sleep. In fact, in order to get back on for the trip back, I hit the local bar at Noon. The cat left at 7 pm..........
    You can drive you know...
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    I was kind of hoping that this event would be in New Brunswick. Not that I don't like Nova Scotia, but I will never, ever, under any conditions, ride on the Cat again. It was the first time that I was so sea sick that I wished for sweet sleep.
    LOL! RULOST2? an I took the Cat to Yarmouth the first month is was running. They were having all kinds of problems - broken stabilizers, etc., - and the trip was probably the roughest I've ever been on.

But Like Mainiac1957 said - you can drive all the way there, or you could drive to St. John, New Brunswick and take the ferry to Digby, NS from there. It's only about 4 hours to St John from Bangor.

OK.....I have some "inside information" about The Cat. The first Cat had many problems and, WhereRWe, if you took your ride early...my sympathies. But the second Cat was/is quite a vessel. You can load on 210 cars PLUS 14 tour buses PLUS 750 people and it will zip 55 miles/hour across the water. It gets its thrust from four (9,500 h/p) jet engines that shoot out enough water for propulsion (like a jet ski) that can fill an olympic size pool in 33 seconds. But the figure I like most is this: to be lightweight it's made of aluminum....the equivalent of 32 million beer cans! How do I know these things? Risteen, my fiance, used to be (until 3 years ago) the marketing director for The Cat...she made all those TV ads you used to see with the sea gull on the bow leaning into the wind. There are two problems now to think about: the cost to ride The Cat, especially if you take your car, is really prohibitive. And splitting thier trips between Bar Harbor and Portland means you cannot assume you can leave from Bar Harbor and return to Bar Harbor when you want. If we go to the Nova Scotia event, it will most certainly be by car.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    OK.....I have some "inside information" about The Cat. The first Cat had many problems and, WhereRWe, if you took your ride early...my sympathies. But the second Cat was/is quite a vessel. You can load on 210 cars PLUS 14 tour buses PLUS 750 people and it will zip 55 miles/hour across the water. It gets its thrust from four (9,500 h/p) jet engines that shoot out enough water for propulsion (like a jet ski) that can fill an olympic size pool in 33 seconds. But the figure I like most is this: to be lightweight it's made of aluminum....the equivalent of 32 million beer cans! How do I know these things? Risteen, my fiance, used to be (until 3 years ago) the marketing director for The Cat...she made all those TV ads you used to see with the sea gull on the bow leaning into the wind. There are two problems now to think about: the cost to ride The Cat, especially if you take your car, is really prohibitive. And splitting their trips between Bar Harbor and Portland means you cannot assume you can leave from Bar Harbor and return to Bar Harbor when you want. If we go to the Nova Scotia event, it will most certainly be by car.
    I checked the closest available dates using this year instead of next and it comes to $363.00 USD. And the dates are spread out. You'd have to leave a few days before and return a few days after. That's this years prices with the exchange rate and the fuel charges and how things are going now. Who knows what will come by then.

513 miles for me by Okeydokey mobile sounds like the plan for me.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    I checked the closest available dates using this year instead of next and it comes to $363.00 USD. And the dates are spread out. You'd have to leave a few days before and return a few days after. That's this years prices with the exchange rate and the fuel charges and how things are going now. Who knows what will come by then.
    We've driven to the Halifax area several times, and have to say it's a nice ride. If you have the time, it's really better to drive than take a ferry/The Cat. We stayed at the Halifax KOA Campground, and really enjoyed it. (Hope the internet access is better now - we had to plug into a phone line and dial up to our "emergency" AOL account to get access.)