Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: It's Cache Maintenance Time!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default It's Cache Maintenance Time!

    If you've placed geocaches, it's time to start spring cleaning. RULOST2? and I visited quite a number of caches lately that wet wet, had soaked logs, and rusty"junk" for swag. I don't know why, but many caches seem to absorb water over the weekend (sloppy winter cachers getting snow in the cache? LOL!)

    IMHO, caches should be checked at least one a year, and ASAP if a problem is noted in the log. Forget about raking leaves and picking up broken branches from the lawn at home! Get out there and maintain the cache!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Default Helping out

    I try to carry a bunch of replacement logs with me, varying sizes, a few baggies and a rag. It just takes a second to help out fellow cachers and just replacing a wet log helps everybody and usually elicits a "thank you" from the cache owner. I replaced 9 logs last weekend and one today. While cache maintenance is a necessary part of the game I prefer a pro-active approach. After winter caching, a lot of caches seems to end up out in the open and it's also helpful to get them properly hidden again. I found one last weekend that was completely out in the open, probably re-hid when the snow helped the hide but obviously not where the hint said it was supposed to be. Replaced as the cache owner intended and on to the next one!

    Had a tick on me Sunday so be aware! Summer is coming!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I replaced 9 logs last weekend and one today. While cache maintenance is a necessary part of the game I prefer a pro-active approach.
    We carry extra log BOOKS with us all the time, and have replaced some ourselves (if missing, or full). But we draw the line at replacing soggy scraps of paper in film cans. LOL!

    Besides, the log book really belongs to the cache owner. I think it's up to them what becomes of an old one - even a soggy one.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Augusta, Maine
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I try to carry a bunch of replacement logs with me, varying sizes, a few baggies and a rag. It just takes a second to help out fellow cachers and just replacing a wet log helps everybody and usually elicits a "thank you" from the cache owner. I replaced 9 logs last weekend and one today. While cache maintenance is a necessary part of the game I prefer a pro-active approach. After winter caching, a lot of caches seems to end up out in the open and it's also helpful to get them properly hidden again. I found one last weekend that was completely out in the open, probably re-hid when the snow helped the hide but obviously not where the hint said it was supposed to be. Replaced as the cache owner intended and on to the next one!

    Had a tick on me Sunday so be aware! Summer is coming!
    I keep a running list. When a cacher logs in that a cache needs maintenance or a log is wet and needs to be replaced I add it to the list so I can go out and get a bunch at one time. If it seems real bad I disable it for a while. Sometimes when a cacher will replace a log for me. I send a thanks to the cacher and cross it off my list. It saves me gas and time. Sometimes people are lackadaisical about caching and don't want to be "put out", so to say. We all need to try and treat people like we would want to be treated. I try and treat all cachers as my friends........They are aren't they?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Default Really?

    The first time I replaced a soggy log, I contacted the cache owner and asked if she wanted me to send it to her. NOT! She said, and I quote " I have read all the logs, why would I want that soggy old thing. Thanks for replacing it for me." I suppose there are some cache owners that might want to check and make sure there were no "voodoo" logs, but most are very thankful for a fellow cacher helping out.

    So if I find one of your caches, and somebody didnd't close it properly and the contents and the log are mush AND I have a replacement log with me, what's your pleasure...allow me to do a good deed and lend a helping hand or just post a maintenance note? That's my point. I don't think that would or should be considered inappropriate, do you?




    Besides, the log book really belongs to the cache owner. I think it's up to them what becomes of an old one - even a soggy one.

    [/quote]
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    What I generally do is just place a new logbook inside a new baggie along with the old logbook and inform the owner of this. I used to keep my full old logbooks for reference and reminiscing.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    So if I find one of your caches, and somebody didnd't close it properly and the contents and the log are mush AND I have a replacement log with me, what's your pleasure...allow me to do a good deed and lend a helping hand or just post a maintenance note? That's my point. I don't think that would or should be considered inappropriate, do you?
    [/QUOTE]

    This is turning into a political argument which I don;t want to see in these forums.

    We've found several caches lately that badly needed maintenance. I felt that it would be a good time to mention that - with spring coming - it's a good time for ALL cachers to do maintenance on their caches. If you want to do ... whatever... that's between you and the cache owner.

    If you visit one of our caches and think it needs maintenance, I'd appreciate a "heads up".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Augusta, Maine
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Political argument!!?? I hid a cache behind a BUSH in CLINTON OBAMA self! Lets argue about that! LOL

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,061

    Default

    If a log in one of my caches was wet but salvageable, I would appreciate it if it was saved for me. I have seen plenty that are way beyond saving, however.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    What I generally do is just place a new logbook inside a new baggie along with the old logbook and inform the owner of this. I used to keep my full old logbooks for reference and reminiscing.
    Yup - I've done this. Physical logs often have a lot of interesting stuff that isn't reflected in the online log. And many people - like us, Parmachenee, and others - use interesting stickers, stamps, etc., that are interesting to review.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •