vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It is now a GRC geocaching world out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Now please don't holler at me. I'm still on the learning curve. I have picked up travel bugs and coins and put them in caches I have already found, like hotels and the such. They seem to get picked up quick and moved on.

Is this not an orthodox option?

If they are from out of state or have traveled a long ways, I've done this as well. I've only own 4 TB's (2 of which are long gone) but the two that have gone the furthest had hit the BIA Hotel. If you want at TB to get some distance, which i think is the general idea if there is no specific mission, where is the harm in picking one up and dropping it in a spot you know travelers are going to take them?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

The following are the statistics from BRDAD's cache hider statistics:

Regular - 1359
    Micro - 1259
    Small - 846
    Not Chosen - 141
    Other - 109
    Large - 22

While there are a lot of micro caches out there, they are still outnumbered by traditional sized caches. Many new geocachers start by placing micros. They are plain and simply easier to place. Many of these new cachers evolve and start changing the way place caches. For many it just takes a bit of time.

So, while there are micros just about everywhere there are certainly plenty of other sized caches out there as well.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

I often lump the micros and small into the same category, since they are most often hidden in a similar manner (GRCs, LPCs). Using that criteria, there are over 2000 of those hidden compared to 1400 regular sized.

And, while everyone's perception of a cache with hide or location value varies greatly, it's hard to dispute that a larger percentage of smaller caches are hidden with little hide or location value compared with their larger counterparts.

And the argument is given many times how the GRCs and LPCs are great to have around when we are unable or unwilling to do the harder caches. But for me, I would rather do 10 of these simpler caches with a high hide or location value than 20 that have little hide or location value. I know I am not alone, but I know there are others who would love for all caches to be easy whether it had hide or location value or not.

Here is an example of an LPC with a full size cache. Yes, it's a real cache. It's an interesting hide, but only because there isn't one on every corner. Variety is the key!

Seems like a perfect place to plug my Anatomy of a Great Cache Hide article, too.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Iye yie yie......I didn't want this to turn into an argument kind of thread. I was just commenting on my caching trip....

We, the family of team teebow, enjoy caching when it involves a hike on a trail that brings you to a beautiful site involving history or the beauty of Maine or to a cache full of fun stuff. When you cache with kids GRC's or micros or nanos do not thrill them.

Now we have found our share of GRC's and nanos and micros......not saying we are totally against them just prefer the "other" kind.

So keep on arguing if you want. But there is no need to because we all have a right to what we feel geocaching should be. So cache on and enjoy every cache you find!!
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    . . .
    Here is an example of an LPC with a full size cache. Yes, it's a real cache. It's an interesting hide, but only because there isn't one on every corner. Variety is the key!

Seems like a perfect place to plug my Anatomy of a Great Cache Hide article, too.
    Love the pic . . . made me laugh . . . well maybe not a full blown laugh, more like a chuckle.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

And, my post was not an attempt to start anything, just some numbers........I mean statistics about the number of whatever there is out there.

Variety is the spice of life.

I guess the bottom line is that all any of us need do is follow the cache size listing and the cache description and we can then find enough of the kind we like to keep us busy.

One of the favorite subjects here on this site is "Micro Caches". The fact is there is little if anything any of us can do to change what is happening everywhere. The beauty of Geocaching is that there is enough variety to keep any of us busy if we want to be busy finding caches.

I didn't mean to sound like I was arguing either, sorry if it came across that way. Just giving my opinion on the subject.

There are plenty of options for everyone. And we each will promote the style we like by expressing our like for them and and placing them to set an example for others.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by team teebow View Post
    We, the family of team teebow, enjoy caching when it involves a hike on a trail that brings you to a beautiful site involving history or the beauty of Maine or to a cache full of fun stuff. When you cache with kids GRC's or micros or nanos do not thrill them.

Might I suggest GCZEDP ? (shameless plug inserted here)
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb View Post
    Might I suggest GCZEDP ? (shameless plug inserted here)
    Wow! Now that looks like a fabulous cache. I might have to take my Venture Crew on that cache hunt!
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

And the best statement of the day is - - - - - - - - "placing them to set an example for others". Indeed!