vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cache or stash??

Default cache or stash??

Thought you all might find this interesting. Front page of this week's Boothbay Register.

Police note high incidence of April fools

By SUE MELLO
    Staff Reporter
    April Fool’s Day was officially last Wednesday but the Boothbay Harbor Police Department reports that the annual event seemed to last longer than usual this year.
    The first anonymous fool turned up last Saturday night, with a seriously wrong number. A juvenile in pursuit of marijuana thought he was calling a drug dealer, but misdialed and reached Officer Jared Mitkus on the police cruiser cell phone instead. The juvenile asked to buy some marijuana and agreed to a meeting place. When the would-be buyer arrived at the Meadow Mall parking lot, to his chagrin, Officer Mitkus was waiting for him. No arrest was made in the incident, but Mitkus reports having a serious discussion with the youth.
    Another fool left $4,000 worth of marijuana in a metal box at the Boothbay Harbor Cemetery, presumably for pickup by a buyer. However, that drug deal was waylaid when two geocachers - treasure hunters participating in an online game using GPS devices - stumbled onto the drugs and reported their discovery to BHPD. Police confiscated the marijuana; no arrest was made.
    In what police are calling a freak accident, a local man accidentally shot himself on Sunday, April 5. The man’s loaded 22-caliber rifle, which was stored on top of his nightstand, was accidentally knocked off when he opened a drawer. According to the man, the gun struck the floor and discharged. Luckily, the bullet went through his shoulder muscle and no serious injury resulted. Police Chief Robert Hasch said that it was odd that the gun would discharge when dropped, but noted that the gun’s safety was defective.
    Hasch reminds gun owners that firearms should always be stored unloaded and be properly secured to avoid such accidents. He also recommends that individuals not adjust trigger pulls as this may increase the likelihood of unintended firing. Gun locks are available at the BHPD - free of charge.

haha, wow, I'm glad I don't live down there, sounds like a pretty rough neighborhood.... sure it looks pretty enough, but deep down in the underbelly of boothbay, lurks the dark ooze that is it's crime problem....

I would hate to have to be the geocachers explaining that one to the cops. I had enough trouble explaining to a cop that there was a rubber chicken hidden in the CITO sign. I think talking yourself out of a drug drop would be a bit harder....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Sheesh! Reminds me of when I found the patch of "grass" last year (year before?) when trying to FTF a cache. (Being more of a "laissez faire" kind of guy, I left it alone and suggested to the cache approver that this might not be a good place for a cache. Other cachers might have weeded the patch and watered it...)

Now that's what I call SWAG!!!

And if you take some, how many TB's are you supposed to leave to be considered a "fair trade?"

[quote=Hiram357;51132]haha, wow, I'm glad I don't live down there, sounds like a pretty rough neighborhood.... sure it looks pretty enough, but deep down in the underbelly of boothbay, lurks the dark ooze that is it's crime problem....

I used to live there and there was a reason we called it Boozebay....
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

I admit the cop looked incredulous when he asked me if we had touched all four bags of pot in the ammo can and I told him I did to see if there was a log underneath it all!

And where does this reporter come up with $4 grand? I was told there was $6!

Quote Originally Posted by Trick or Treat View Post
    I admit the cop looked incredulous when he asked me if we had touched all four bags of pot in the ammo can and I told him I did to see if there was a log underneath it all!
    So were you actually looking for a cache nearby, or did you just see the can and assume it was a geocache? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Trick or Treat View Post

And where does this reporter come up with $4 grand? I was told there was $6!
    heh, surrrre... there probably was $6 before you got there...

there was also a report that someone dropped a roll of $20 bills wrapped up in a rubber band, I heard they found the rubber band...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I grew up in Pemaquid and Boothbay was where we considered all the spoiled rich kids to live. I am actually friends with Jared Mitkus and think its cool that he didn't take advantage of the situation.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry