vb:literal>

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RE: Be prepared to have your world rocked

Quote Originally Posted by racatv View Post
    Tread lightly... a lot of caches are just slightly off marked trails. Is there any way to get a "pass" for an event, so it could be okay. Most are okay for vehicles but not atvs. Example...GC16VGB..Don Baylor Loves to Cache, just off the trail. We are VERY repectful riders, and will pull out the "I'm Geocaching " card if we are "caught". Also I've found a lot of caches that say ATV ok, but aren't on the trail such as.. Death Wish, Foster Solitude ,Foss Pond.. We just park the Atv and walk in. Am I so wrong?
    ya confused me... are you saying you ride your atv directly to cache off the trail or are you driving a vehicle down the atv trail??? what kind of "pass" are you looking for?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

We park and walk in to a cache. We tread lightly. I also have a cache on a trail, Spicer Pond Cache, and specifically tell ATVers not to ride in. Skip the pass idea.

I think I may be narrowing down some details . . . assuming that this may actually work out.

My question . . . what would folks who would potentially be interested in an event prefer.

1) Attempting to do an equal amount of caching and riding . . . although realistically there would be more riding time than caching time.

2) Doing an event where the main focus would be on a scenic ride and the riding would be the main "thing" as we would ride out to 1-3 far flung caches.

Also . . . how far are folks willing to travel . . . is Presque Isle too far? how about Beddington?

At this point I'm leaning towards one or two places.

If folks prefer Option #1 I would continue to look at one or two campgrounds in the Presque Isle area. It's a bit of a drive, but the trail system there is pretty extensive and there are a number of caches located along the rail trails.

If folks prefer Option #2 I would consider camping at Duck Lake, Airline Snack Bar or the Wilderness Camps. Still a bit of a drive, maybe not quite so far as PI . . . again the trail system is pretty extensive, but not a lot of trail side caches.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I think I may be narrowing down some details . . . assuming that this may actually work out.

My question . . . what would folks who would potentially be interested in an event prefer.

1) Attempting to do an equal amount of caching and riding . . . although realistically there would be more riding time than caching time.

2) Doing an event where the main focus would be on a scenic ride and the riding would be the main "thing" as we would ride out to 1-3 far flung caches.

Also . . . how far are folks willing to travel . . . is Presque Isle too far? how about Beddington?

At this point I'm leaning towards one or two places.

If folks prefer Option #1 I would continue to look at one or two campgrounds in the Presque Isle area. It's a bit of a drive, but the trail system there is pretty extensive and there are a number of caches located along the rail trails.

If folks prefer Option #2 I would consider camping at Duck Lake, Airline Snack Bar or the Wilderness Camps. Still a bit of a drive, maybe not quite so far as PI . . . again the trail system is pretty extensive, but not a lot of trail side caches.
    For english press 1, for espanol press 2...

I would like either one. But then again if there was such a trail to PI I would ride the atv up there for the event... but I don't think that will happen. I like long rides. I like caches. I like camping. I remember someone telling me a while ago when I was doing an ORCA event, "If you post it, they will come"

So I guess, adding up option one and two, would make my answer three.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

You plan it and the weekend being free ~ they will come.

Default Sounds like fun

This sounds like something Gail and I , (and Shamis) would enjoy. With enough notice, and luck for Gail to not be on call, we could possibly make it. PI is fine, or anywhere for that matter. More riding than caching is OK if that is what happens. We are not in it for the numbers as you may have noticed. We finally just passed 300, and it took us quite a while, but we have done some quality caches , with quality friends. Now that I'm back on my feet, we are ready to hit the trails when we can.

At this point I am heavily leaning towards heading to the County . . . Northwoods Explorer has been a big asset in helping me get some info.

Going to the County requires a bit more of a drive for most folks, but the riding there is great, there are quite a few "places" to ride to and a number of caches trail-side . . . plus I believe I can book a campground in PI which will allow folks to drive right from the campground to the trails, pets are allowed (on leash and with clean up), there is a group site available and a 10% discount if we book 6 or more sites . . . there is a day charge of $3 for folks who might want to come just for the day unfortunately.

So how does this sound to folks . . . and more importantly . . . does anyone have any particular weekends that would work better for them. I suspect this would not be a big group so I would like to see if we can find a weekend that might work for the majority . . . just be sure to pick one with good weather.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

My dance card is full through 4th of July - after that I could probably join the parade. Usually can't leave Fridays until after 4:20P but as long as the campground isn't locked down early I would just be a late arriver.

Sounds like fun Jake - even without a 4 wheeler.

It is a possible fopr me it is going to depend on the date and if I can afford to go up.

Date check:

Still tentative . . . and who knows this may not still be greenlighted.

However, which dates work best for folks.

July 18th

July 25th