vb:literal>

Thread: I found a cache that doesn't exist??

Default I found a cache that doesn't exist??

Today while Mt biking in the South Berwick, Maine Area.. I discovered, or shall I say, stumbled onto a Geocache w/o the GPS since the cache was partially exposed. I looked the log book and there were several, much older prior entries , so I added one too. Neither the cache container nor the logbook listed a GCXXXX number or other ID. The contents were dry. I even looked on terracaching to see if it was there... No Luck

The cache was near a large , very cool, balanced rock w/in 100 ft of the approx coords. N43 16.266 W70 42.068

There several other caches in the area that all show up.

So the question is.. If this cache was for some reason...archived,, does it eventually disappear from GCing.com ?

Does anyone know of this cache?

..Talbot

I don't have any archived caches in my database close to those coordinates. Even the closest active cache shows .53 miles. That leaves a few options - It could be the final of a multi or puzzle cache, the closest multi is 3.28 miles away and the closest puzzle cache is 4.16, and that one is archived. The closest active puzzle cache is 5.89 miles away.

So I would more likely guess what you found may have been a letterbox? Do you remember any of the names in the logbook? Was there a rubber stamp in the box?

Letterboxes are hard to track since many of them are not listed online or listed in any organized fashion for that matter, but letterboxing.org lists 5 caches in Berwick.

I like these kinds of mysteries, hopefully we can solve it.
    Last edited by brdad; 04-17-2009 at 06:11 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I have found a couple like that. One turned out to be the final on a mystery cache that you had to find all the other caches to get the coordinates. I was there to place a cache and walked to the best spot to put one and there it was. LOL

The other time I found a cache that had been washed away in a flood. The good thing was the cache name was in the cache so I e-mailed the owner with the new coordinates. It had several DNFs because it was about 1/2 mile from where it belonged.

I went back today... I found some more info and may have found the owner
    I sent an email and hope to get a reply.. I will share if I hear back...

here's the balancing rock

http://picasaweb.google.c...bX8QE&feat=directlink

TJR

That's a pretty neat balancing rock!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Someone Adopt It And Activate It! I Want To Go!!

Default More info...Mystery solved...

I returned to the cache last Fri and was able to determine the cache owner from the 1st page in the log book.
    I had overlooked it previously, since I assumed the cache would be available on GC'n.com when I got home to log my visit. The log book entry dated the cache to 2005. For a 4yr old cache, in a plastic container.. it's faired quite well
    I contacted the Cache owner through GC'n.com and did receive a response.
    According to the cache owner, the cache was placed in 2005 , but the land owner had never given formal permission for it to be published. The land has now changed ownership and the cache owner may seek permission from the new land owners for it's publication. The cache owner also thanked me for reminding him about the cache.
    It's a great spot and worth the short hike..combined w/ the other cool caches in the area.. it would be a nice addition.
    The balanced rock point of interest can be seen on the map provided at the Orris falls trail head, the maps are provided by the Great Works Land Trust orgaization.
    Descr...
    http://www.gwrlt.org/index.php?optio...aces&Itemid=71
    MAP...
    http://gwrlt.org/images/stories/publ...ofmap_2009.pdf
    another article
    http://www.seacoastnh.com/Travel/Sce...alancing_Rock/

...Talbot

Very cool! Thanks for sharing the information and also the diligence to get ahold of the cache owner. Perhaps this will be published. Regardless a nice area to hike and thank you for sharing the brochure.

[QUOTE]According to the cache owner, the cache was placed in 2005 , but the land owner had never given formal permission for it to be published. [QUOTE]

So in essense it has been geotrash for all these years? Too bad the owner didn't take the time to go collect it after all those years but maybe something good will come of it and finally be published. And get permission before getting it published this time.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.