vb:literal>

Thread: Loss of Fellow Cacher Oldsnop

Post Loss of Fellow Cacher Oldsnop

oldsnop – nee - Stephen W. Leighton passed away, according to his Bangor Daily News obituary, unexpectedly April 13, 2009. He was born January 10, 1950 in Bangor ME. A veteran of the U.S. Army during Vietnam War, he was very proud of service. I was told by a geocaching friend, he, was another veteran who, held a caution when approaching and opening caches in ammo cans. He signed on to geocaching.com on 7/11/2008 and found his first cache – Thomas Hill Cache – on 7/12/2008 His last cache find was on 4/9/2009 at Meadows Dam Cache, located in Orrington ME. His log on the cache speaks to how he enjoyed the little extras about caching (watching the ducks for over an hour). He had found a total of 54 caches (which included 1 event – the WWFM 11/8/08 – he is pictured behind my left shoulder in the photo on the event page).

Steve owned one trackable – Tommy’s Tackle – TBGFYF – which has gone 234 miles and this summer might easily complete its goal. This TB was a memorial to a fishing buddy. One cache was placed by Steve - Paul Bunyan Sports Center (GC1G88F). This was a fun cache to find and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Geoaching was mentioned in his obituary. He had a close caching friend in ahbah, who is planning on maintaining his cache and also put out a memorial TB for him ( TB2WMNZ).

Although I did not know Stephen personally, I felt others may like to know of his passing. Many people are drawn to our sport and many times they quietly move from cache to cache, put out a few, move some trackables and really enjoy the journey this sport brings. Sometimes they pass without us getting to meet them, know them well or enjoy the journey with them.

My personal condolences to his family and closest friends. I am posting this link which, for me helps…….with loss……this movie link was played when we tragically lost the cacher aefuss and an impromptu memorial was done at an event shortly after his death. I need to view it more often. It is deep and says a lot.

It is my hope Stephen’s life journey was filled with love, joys, laughter, losses & regrets (which none of us avoid) and of course fun. May geocaching have presented him with a dynamic connection with nature, the earth and given him a feeling of personal accomplishment and connection to others in some small way. His service to our country and for us all is appreciated and it is my sincere hope his family and closest friends know others are there for them during this time of grief.

May the ultimate waypoint be as wonderful as your first find and as peaceful and reflective as your last. God speed good servant ~ life well lived!

For those who may be inclined – it was suggested Gifts in his memory may be sent to CancerCare of Maine, care of Healthcare Charities, P.O. Box 931, Bangor, ME 04402-0931.

This posting was done after informing the "Board" of Stephen's passing and them suggesting others would like to know ~ giving me the go ahead to do this post. Thank you for the trust placed in me to open this thread.

I just found his cache a few weeks ago. I appreciate you passing this on.

Since his cache was just down the street from where I am, I jumped on it as soon as it was posted. As I came out of the trees I saw a guy waving from the building. I walked over and meet him there. That is really a good cache. It was perfect in the winter. All he wanted to know is how I liked it and if I thought it had enough stuff in it. We talked for a few minutes.

I also ran into him at the bangor flash mob event. He was great.

God speed
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Default Oldsnop

We met at the Flashmob Event. He served our couintry proudly. That was a very well-written and thoughtful memorial post by Lois-Ann.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Our sympathies to his family and friends. It sounds like he a was a good guy to have as a friend, wish I had met up with him at least once.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Very well written . . . and a nice reminder of our own mortality and how our time here on Earth is but a short one.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

His has been one of my most memorable urban caches. I don't think I've ever seen a cache camo'd that way before. Thanks for the write up.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Wow. That is a powerful clip and thank you for sharing this. Sounds like an awesome person.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Thanks for posting this. What a loss. I met him this summer while searching for a cache. We were all trying to be stealthy before we realized we were looking for the same thing. Very sad.
    KymeeJay