vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May baskets anyone?

Hybrid View

Default May baskets anyone?

Hello everyone....its getting to that time of year again...May Day! May baskets are a foreign word to some of our cachers I am sure. Do any of you remember making crepe paper baskets, hanging them on the door knobs of your friends, ringing the bell and running? Do you remember any elaborate baskets that your friends left at your place? When I was in grade school one boy in particular brought beautiful baskets each year that his mother made. Several ( at least four )decades later, when making them for children that I know, one was made for her and dropped off at her door with an explanation of how hers had made such an impression . She was so gratefull. Think about leaving onefor someone that you know this May 1st and make someone smile. ( Candy or Daffodils make great fillers. ) May 1st is a great day to bring a smile to someone.

I have heard of may baskets before, but what you do with them is definitely foreign to me. Do you put anything in the baskets?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Thanks for the memories! Yes, my Grandmother and mother made them, we made them at church, we made them in scouts. Great fun to make pretty baskets, fill them with a little left over Easter grass and then some candies or goodies.

Used to take them to friend's houses, hang them on the door - knock or ring the bell and run like hell.......then when they came out they would try to catch you......and give you a kiss. I remember taking one to little Stevie Rice's house (of the old Rice's Red Hot Dogs) and when I was running away fell and scrapped my knee (yeah, I was falling even then). He didn't kiss me but my knee. LOL

Older folks remember them and it's a nice gesture. They are very well received in Nursing Homes.

I wasn't real sure about the baskets either. I vaguely remember doing something in school about them.

I do know a lady out this way that I will have to make one for. I'm just going to have to do some more research to find out the history and meaning behind them first. I don't need any trouble. Her son is big.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I remember May baskets and at the risk of a smart-alek remark from brdad - I remember maypole dances too.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb View Post
    I remember May baskets and at the risk of a smart-alek remark from brdad - I remember maypole dances too.

Hmmm ... pj & pole dancing.... pj & pole dancing..... Sorry, can't come up with a joke there.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Hmmm ... pj & pole dancing.... pj & pole dancing..... Sorry, can't come up with a joke there.
    No but it might be fun to watch.
    Blazing Troll

I googled it. The custom is older than Jack and Jill:

Handing out May Day baskets is a charming and gentle activity for children and adults. It's a tradition that Louisa May Alcott wrote of in "Jack and Jill" (Chapter 18):

"The job now in hand was May baskets, for it was the custom of the children to hang them on the doors of their friends the night before May-day; and the girls had agreed to supply baskets if the boys would hunt for flowers, much the harder task of the two. Jill had more leisure as well as taste and skill than the other girls, so she amused herself with making a goodly store of pretty baskets of all shapes, sizes, and colors, quite confident that they would be filled, though not a flower had shown its head except a few hardy dandelions, and here and there a small cluster of saxifrage." (a type of herb called Greater Burnet).
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

And here all I was going to do on May 1st was put on a Russian military uniform and parade down Main Street with a few hundred missile launchers and tanks in the ye olde proud May 1st celebration.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default Wow

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    And here all I was going to do on May 1st was put on a Russian military uniform and parade down Main Street with a few hundred missile launchers and tanks in the ye olde proud May 1st celebration.
    Holy crap! Your weird!
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.