vb:literal>

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet peeves

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsouth View Post
    I really hate it when there are a LOT of DNF's on a cache and there isnt an owner update. Is it there? Isnt it? Does it need maintenance...? Why have so many people not found it?? Grrr...Then the icon just sits there on my map taunting me....haha anyways....my 2 cents.
    Really depends on the Cache, There are a few caches that get allot of DNF's because they are just that hard. I know I logged 3 DNF's on Old 470 before I found it and then there are some of Terry's and Gobler's caches that I know many struggle with. Allot of it does reside with the cache owner to determine what the amount of DNF's need to be done on a cache as they are the ones that know just how difficult it could be.

Default It's just a game - let everyone play the way they want!

That phrase is probably my biggest pet peeve. It's actually two phrases.

The first phrase, "It's just a game" I agree with for the most part. The original geocache was more of an activity or at most a solitaire game - there was no competition - finding the cache was the reward. Nowadays, some play it that way and some make it into a competition with other cachers, which is fine. Others make it into a competition with those who are playing the solitaire version, which is not so good. Which leads us to the second phrase...

The "Let everyone play the way they want" phrase just makes no sense! It can't happen. Just as in real world situations, if there is not some order, very few are happy. Using some of the examples in this thread and from others, if you truly think people should play the way they want, they should be able to:

Log a note instead of a DNF if they assume a cache is missing;
    Log any length log they like;
    Place nanos, nearly impossible puzzles, or 200 stage multis;
    Not bother to maintain or update their own caches;
    Mark their caches with any D/T rating they want;
    Leave garbage in caches, or take something and leave nothing;
    Take TBs home with them because they are cute;
    Remove caches that belong to other cachers they don't like;
    Move a cache to a location they feel is where it should have been hidden;
    Ignore cache descriptions and cross private property to get FTF faster or more caches in a time period (or just because they're lazy and want the short route);
    Pee in caches;
    Log caches they did not really find;
    Log caches they did not even look for;
    Log caches their dog "placed";
    Delete valid found logs of other cachers;
    Place caches anywhere without permission;
    And so on!

Everything on this list has been done. There is no way you can let everyone play the way they want without it creating a situation where another cacher cannot play the way they want.

So then it comes back to the fact it's just a game. There is no need to get all wound up about it. But the notion that it should be fine to do what we want is way off base. How each of us play reflects on the game the way other people see and accept it. If we approach someone for permission to place a cache and their vision of caching is trash left in the woods or manic cachers disregarding instructions and crossing private property in order to be FTF, or many other negative images, they likely will not approve of a cache on their land.

What we do and how we play does make a difference in the quality of geocaching for the rest of us. We can't all play the way we want. We have to hold ourselves to some standards.

And in my opinion - I hate too many rules - So the best solution I have is to promote those practices which reflect positively on geocaching, and to politely disagree with those practices which negatively reflect on it. Give those quality caches a longer note explaining what you liked. Recognize those act of kindness by other cachers. Speak up but be polite when you think the game is being compromised. All of us has a slightly varied opinion as to what is right and what is wrong, so there will be disagreements, but there is a compromise. And remember, it's just a game!
    Last edited by brdad; 05-04-2009 at 06:39 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I agree totaly brdad!! I did find the example Log caches their dog "placed" pretty funny it made me laugh LOl.
    The Drinking Will Continue Until Morale Improves !!

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaine View Post
    I agree totaly brdad!! I did find the example Log caches their dog "placed" pretty funny it made me laugh LOl.
    I agree with Brdad also, as usual! LOL!

(Update on "The Dog": it is now ranked #121 worldwide with 7997 caches found. He {?} hasn't placed any caches since 2007, though.)

And you even missed the ever popular take Coins from caches and sell them on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    And you even missed the ever popular take Coins from caches and sell them on ebay.

Truly Robt,

"No really...It's only activated because I had it in my personal collection for taking to events for others to discover..." Then when you ask for or look at the serial number it shows that its been to like two caches with no discoveries...If I was rich, I'd buy them all and drop them back into circulation or ship em back to the owners.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by team moxiepup View Post
    We have noticed lately that lots of the time folks are just signing their names to the log books on regular size caches.... no comments ie: nice trail, not even a TFTC scribbled in the log book. Maybe this is because folks have been logging lots of micros without space in the logbook to sign anything else. Even the online logs are a bit lean
    We realize some folks don't like to write much but a TFTC is a good use of four letters.

BTW TFTT Thanks for the thread
    I started caching in the winter, when it was too darn cold to write much more then your name and the date. I still only write that on the log but I make up for it with my extensive logs on line. My pet peeve is people who "cut and paste" ..TFTCSL on every cache they log on line....I mean, gee at least tell me the weather when you found it or something. I don't even mind..."Found quickly." But write something besides TFTCSL

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsouth View Post
    I really hate it when there are a LOT of DNF's on a cache and there isnt an owner update. Is it there? Isnt it? Does it need maintenance...? Why have so many people not found it?? Grrr...Then the icon just sits there on my map taunting me....haha anyways....my 2 cents.
    Maybe the cache owner KNOWS it's still there. I have a lot of DNFs on my Hobbit Land South Entrance cache. Sometimes three or four in a row. Lombard Micro is another one that gets a lot of DNFs (I adopted that one from Hirum357)

How about when someone finds a whole bunch of caches all around one of your caches......you know they had to go by your cache, but nothing is logged....no DNF no note..nothing.......You know they must have looked...Or did they?

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    That phrase is probably my biggest pet peeve. It's actually two phrases.

The first phrase, "It's just a game" I agree with for the most part. The original geocache was more of an activity or at most a solitaire game - there was no competition - finding the cache was the reward. Nowadays, some play it that way and some make it into a competition with other cachers, which is fine. Others make it into a competition with those who are playing the solitaire version, which is not so good. Which leads us to the second phrase...

The "Let everyone play the way they want" phrase just makes no sense! It can't happen. Just as in real world situations, if there is not some order, very few are happy. Using some of the examples in this thread and from others, if you truly think people should play the way they want, they should be able to:

Log a note instead of a DNF if they assume a cache is missing;
    Log any length log they like;
    Place nanos, nearly impossible puzzles, or 200 stage multis;
    Not bother to maintain or update their own caches;
    Mark their caches with any D/T rating they want;
    Leave garbage in caches, or take something and leave nothing;
    Take TBs home with them because they are cute;
    Remove caches that belong to other cachers they don't like;
    Move a cache to a location they feel is where it should have been hidden;
    Ignore cache descriptions and cross private property to get FTF faster or more caches in a time period (or just because they're lazy and want the short route);
    Pee in caches;
    Log caches they did not really find;
    Log caches they did not even look for;
    Log caches their dog "placed";
    Delete valid found logs of other cachers;
    Place caches anywhere without permission;
    And so on!

Everything on this list has been done. There is no way you can let everyone play the way they want without it creating a situation where another cacher cannot play the way they want.

So then it comes back to the fact it's just a game. There is no need to get all wound up about it. But the notion that it should be fine to do what we want is way off base. How each of us play reflects on the game the way other people see and accept it. If we approach someone for permission to place a cache and their vision of caching is trash left in the woods or manic cachers disregarding instructions and crossing private property in order to be FTF, or many other negative images, they likely will not approve of a cache on their land.

What we do and how we play does make a difference in the quality of geocaching for the rest of us. We can't all play the way we want. We have to hold ourselves to some standards.

And in my opinion - I hate too many rules - So the best solution I have is to promote those practices which reflect positively on geocaching, and to politely disagree with those practices which negatively reflect on it. Give those quality caches a longer note explaining what you liked. Recognize those act of kindness by other cachers. Speak up but be polite when you think the game is being compromised. All of us has a slightly varied opinion as to what is right and what is wrong, so there will be disagreements, but there is a compromise. And remember, it's just a game!
    Well I agree with most of that...Lets say "It's Just A Game. Let everyone play the game the way they want...without breaking the rules of the game." If someone logs a cache they didn't find..they have to sleep with it...Not me. And there are no rules against logging a cache you didn't find. So what skin is it off my back?
    Just using that particular peeve as an example.