vb:literal>

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Pet peeves

Within the last week I have seen 3 caches that had computer logs that said, "I forgot a pencil", or "saw the cache but couldn't get to it", but they claimed them as finds. This March I went to a cache in Houlton and knew where the cache was in the V of a tree but it was frozen in. I did not log it as found. I went back up there last week and found it exactly where I thought it was. When I logged it, I noticed that someone that had come after me this spring said they couldn't get to it but logged it as a found. I guess the peeve is, I could go around saying something like that to half the caches and double my numbers but never even go to them. If you don't sign the log, you didn't find it.

Default I agree with this Steve as well.

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    Within the last week I have seen 3 caches that had computer logs that said, "I forgot a pencil", or "saw the cache but couldn't get to it", but they claimed them as finds. This March I went to a cache in Houlton and knew where the cache was in the V of a tree but it was frozen in. I did not log it as found. I went back up there last week and found it exactly where I thought it was. When I logged it, I noticed that someone that had come after me this spring said they couldn't get to it but logged it as a found. I guess the peeve is, I could go around saying something like that to half the caches and double my numbers but never even go to them. If you don't sign the log, you didn't find it.
    No signy, no loggy..
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    This is totally up to the cache owner if he wants you to be able to log it as a cache find or not. All he has to do is delete the log if he feels it is not a find for not signing the log. Pretty simple!!! I forgot a writing utensil at one time and ended up signing it with a muddy finger but it worked and I didn't feel guilty for not signing the log. I myself too feel if you don't sign the log then it is a DNF.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default Log, sign, or don't sign. That is the question!

I have one cache that is quite challenging but the log gets wet a lot due to the nature of the cache container. I could archive it, but folks that find it get a kick out of it. Some cachers have logged indicating they could not sign the log but have correctly described it. So would anybody think I "violated" the spirit of the game by telling these cachers to log a find on my cache? And what's better, taking a ski pole to the top of a tupperware container frozen in the crotch of a tree, or making an honest statement to the caching world that you found it but couldn't sign the log without destroying the cover to the cache?

While signing the log is one of the goals, isn't finding the cache the real goal? Seems to me if a cacher described the cache but can't sign the log due to the myriad of factors that can prevent signing, then a "find" log is appropriate. If that sort of thing upsets you or you think it violates the way you think the game should be played, then fine, but please be kind and not overly negative to those who define a "find" in a different way then you.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

To me one way or the other is fine. This is supposed to be fun.

My only peeve is people covering the cache up after they find it so good that it jumps the difficulty up a notch or two.

Oh yeah, I have put two fires out recently in the woods. I figure it isn't one of us, but that can be dangerous.

What about this,
    Bubba and I went to do a new cache, We found it We were the FTF. no one had signed the log. When we got home, someone had claimed it as a FTF, but they didn't sign the log book, but they got credit for the FTF.

Opalns

Quote Originally Posted by Opalsns View Post
    What about this,
    Bubba and I went to do a new cache, We found it We were the FTF. no one had signed the log. When we got home, someone had claimed it as a FTF, but they didn't sign the log book, but they got credit for the FTF.

Opalns
    Well, was the unsigned claimee unable to sign due to having no fingers hands or arms? If that's the case put up a good argument and call that person dirty names and so on. (Whats the worse he can do to you) On the other hand if the unsigned claimee is a kickboxer who enjoys the use of all his extremities and thinks breaking boards in half with his hands is fun, congratulate him on his first to find.

Then again think on the whole of it and see if you really care or if it matters enough to lose any sleep over the whole matter then move on to the next cache.

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

As I have stated already in this thread, the Logging of All Physical Caches section of the guidelines, it clearly states "Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed."

Of course it's up to the cache owner to enforce it, So it comes down to whether the finder and the cache owner think their actions make enough of a difference in how the game is played and portrayed by others. If we're willing to not bother to sign the logbook, why do we even get out of the car? If we don't bother to get out of the car, why do we even slow down? If we don't bother to slow down, why don't we just look at the cache page and log it as a find?

I have thought up a few caches where it's easy to get to and open the cache, but hard mentally or physically to get to the log book. But then I realize I'd be arguing finds with 80% of the people who visited the cache and couldn't trouble themselves to sign the log book. I get all the arguing I can handle right here.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I can see it both ways. I can tell you that I signed a log recently with mosquitos crawling all over me and I was in and out fast. No date, no pen, just a broken pencil and my team initials F2R. That had to do. Shouldn't "100 feet from a swamp" be a catagory?
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Default Unsigned

On those few occassions that I posted a find and couldn't sign, I have written a detailed explaination as to why I couldn't sign, frozen cover,unretrievable cache that I clearly identified as the cache, etc. For a cacher to claim a FTF, not sign and not offer a palpable reason is a bad precedent IMHO.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.