vb:literal>

Thread: Trick or Treat - Hits 500 in FL on the 5th

Thumbs up Trick or Treat - Hits 500 in FL on the 5th

OK - so Kendra has surgery and needs some R&R. So she and Dawn head on down to FL - and cache away they did!

They hit their 500th find on 5/5 according to my calculations while they were near Treasure Island FL. Way to go ladies!

Your journey has only begun. Cache on ~ cache happy!

Half way to 1K! Congratulations!
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Correction - it was in Clearwater FL on the 6th - I must have counted their logs wrong - a memorable milestone no matter.

Congratulations! That is great!
    KymeeJay

Great job you two! Hope to see those pictures when you get back!
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Thanks everyone! It was a great trip.

We were there for eight days but only cached for five. Most of those caching days were cache in the morning and beach in the after noon. On our best day, we got started around 8:30am in St. Pete and finished up at 8:30pm at night finding 42 caches. That's by far our best day ever. We thought we were going to find our 500th that day, but it got dark and we were at 499. It all worked out, however, because our 500th turned out to also be our first FTF.

We met a few other caching teams on the trails and also made a new friend who I hope will be coming this fall for some Maine caching. Clearwater Rob and I exchanged emails before the trip and he gave me some super suggestions for cache areas, beaches, restaurants etc. We met towards the end of the trip and got along so well that we hung out for a few days together. We spent a lot of time talking about our respective geocaching communities. There aren't a ton of events in that area and most people cache solo or with one other cacher. Surprisingly, there isn't an active website for Pinella's County even though it's so cache dense. I told him he needed to come to Maine to see how it's done! I really talked all you guys up.

This was our first time caching outside of New England and I thought it was really different! It was like being a rock bottom beginner again; my geosense didn't seem to work down there. Oddly enough, it was the full size caches that were almost the hardest to find. You would get to an geozone, but there wouldn't really be one area that stood out from the others and so I'd dig and move things around. Sometimes it would work out, but on several occasions it didn't. It's not strange at all to see a 2:1 ratio of finds to DNFs on plain old regular sized caches. And the Florida hides! Is everyone familiar with these? It's when you stick a micro somewhere in one of the pockets on the trunk of a palm tree. So you could get to a gz and find 20 palm trees each with hundreds of these little pockets and you just start checking every one until you come up with the cache. Even after a week of looking for them, I'm still not really a fan. I mentioned to my new geofriend that most of the caches did not have hints available. He's cached all over and agreed that there usually are no hints posted for caches in the area where we were.

The hard ones aside, we saw some amazing places, views and animals while looking for caches. The weather was in the high 80s every day and since we were on the Gulf of Mexico side, the water at the beach was over 80 degrees as well. The Red Sox won the one game I went to. Picked up close to 20 travelers so look for them in a cache near you.

All in all, a great vaca though I'm glad to be home and caching in Maine where I feel like I have a bit of a clue.

Default Glad you had fun.

I lived in Florida for 10 years, but it was before caching started. I know what you mean about those palm trees though. Lots of hidey holes. Congrats on the 500 cache milestone, and your first FTF. See you around here somewhere,sometime.
    Happy Trails!

Smile 500!

Way to go ladies! When you're ready, we'll take you on a cache binge up our way!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

WAY TO GO. two milestones in one now that's being organized. We've been to Clearwater but before caching my folks winter on the east coast of FL, and they are always saying how different it is. Someday we'll get down and give it a shot.

See you on the trails

Cache Happy ~