vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: And now, a hello from Portland

I think that if you find a place that works for you you should go ahead and do it as long as it meets the guidelines. After all, you will not find a place that EVERYONE will like to look (especially if its a micro which some people dislike anyways). Worrying about whether everyone will love your hide or not will make you crazy.

Just hide it and they will come.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Default About micros and prizes

Thanks, I meant to ask about that. I'm only doing a micro for my first one (my trial balloon). Are they regarded as an indication of laziness (no offense to any micro-philes)?

Also, I'm confused about the "cache" part of caching. In the non-micro caches I've found, it seems that nobody actually removes what's in the cache, they just add stuff to it. I had thought it was supposed to be like a swap (find a prize, leave a prize). Does it depend on the cache?

Quote Originally Posted by Listener83 View Post
    Thanks, I meant to ask about that. I'm only doing a micro for my first one (my trial balloon). Are they regarded as an indication of laziness (no offense to any micro-philes)?
    Yup.

Also, I'm confused about the "cache" part of caching. In the non-micro caches I've found, it seems that nobody actually removes what's in the cache, they just add stuff to it. I had thought it was supposed to be like a swap (find a prize, leave a prize). Does it depend on the cache?
    You're generally right. The original concept of geocaching was to trade "swag". But with the proliferation of small/micro/nano caches, which are too small to hold anything, fewer people bother to trade. Too bad...

Nothing wrong with adding to a cache and not taking. I find that to be more on the generous side. Its the people that take and not leave stuff that can be an issue. If too many people do that, eventually the cache is quite barren. I will sometimes leave something even if I do not take anything. Usually, I will at least let my son take something anyways... I always try to leave something if I take something though and I have taught my son to do the same.

As far as micros go, I have no problem with them. To me MOST caches serve a purpose, even if it is just one more thing to seek out.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Welcome to caching and to this site Listener83. Hope to meet you on the trails some day
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Since I am perceived as the resident anti-micro person and since you asked, I'll set the record straight with my opinion.

Micros are often perceived as laziness, and often perceived as having no little or no value. IMO in many cases it is true, but yours does not have to be that way! Place it somewhere historical, or with a nice view, or somewhere normal passersby miss. If the location can't be of value, then do something with the cache itself to give it value. Make a unique and/or clever container, or hide it in an uncommon manner. Put something personal into the cache if you can - if you're a dentist, perhaps find a large tooth to use for a container, or in a fake mailbox with "I. Yankum" on the outside. You'll get out of a cache what you put into it.

A micro doesn't have to be a 1/1, nor does it have to be boring. I have one cache that was placed as a micro, it is listed as small now, and it is very well received.

Check out my Anatomy of a great cache hide if you have not already as well.
    Last edited by brdad; 05-11-2009 at 02:26 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I agree that some micros seem a little less inventive but can still be fun for some to find... Especially when there is a puzzle involved.

As others have said . . . it's what you put into it. I'm not a big fan of micros hidden just to hide a cache . . . and in general I'm not a big fan of micros hidden in middle of the woods (with some exceptions) when a larger cache container capable of holding TBs, swag, etc. would work just as well . . . and I do grow tired of a day filled with micro after micro after micro.

However. . . .

a) I am just me . . . I do not represent every cacher. Some folks love micros and the great thing about caching is that there is something for everybody.

b) I believe micros definitely have a place . . . most notably in urban settings where a bulky ammo can might be a bit too noticable. Micros placed in places (even guard rails) with historical or scenic value are also always appreciated.

c) While I am not a big fan of the "micro in middle of the woods" . . . I have found a few which were in fact great hides due to a twist (Creepy Crawlers!!!) , super hide, etc. . . and in fact I have a "micro in the woods" of my own since I wanted folks to see a view and then find my cache in a location which is most definitely not scenic, but in a location that worked well for the hide.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Well said. One of the things that draws me to geocaching is the fact that you can play pretty much how you want to play. Not everyone has the same likes and dislikes. You make it as easy or hard as you want and you just do it.

Though larger caches will certainly be found by more and there are those who filter out micros for personal reasons. Either they find them to difficult or just don't like them.