Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Must-see caches?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    285

    Default Must-see caches?

    Hello!

    We've decided to try out the Delorme Challenge. We're going to start faaaar north this weekend and work our way south.

    Any must-see caches in the state? Especially in the north or the west, since those are the areas we are not familiar with and will likely not visit more than once or twice. We'd like to know in advance so that we can be sure to plan those in to the challenge. Ben prefers caches that are hard to find, I prefer caches that take us to pretty spots or cutesy towns.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    This is one of the caches I enjoyed the most. Many miles of driving, lots of gas, a few tolls, fortunately I lost no tires (but worried on many of the roads), learned what it was like with NO cell service, enjoyed doing it with a friend, thought we would never finish, took a while, two DeLorme Gazatteers later......well, it is a journey worth doing.

    Some maps you won't have a choice which cache to do.......as there may be only one but that may have changed. Check with locals as sometimes there are shortcuts worth taking - like from Eustis over to Jackman. I remember the POW camps - those were great caches. One I didn't do but will return is the web cam in Houlton.

    Think everyone who has done it has a bookmark list - that might help. To research what they did for caches. This time of year - take Bug Dope! Lots of it!

    Good luck and enjoy the journey!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hampden, ME
    Posts
    891

    Default

    Take a look here: http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum...ead.php?t=2328 and go the last page. There is some useful info about caches and the Delorme which I find helpful.


    Quote Originally Posted by benandtina View Post
    Hello!

    We've decided to try out the Delorme Challenge. We're going to start faaaar north this weekend and work our way south.

    Thanks!
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hampden, ME
    Posts
    891

    Default

    Sorry, gave you the wrong link. Have the link bookmarked but is on the other laptop. Will get it to ya as soon as I can.

    Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Take a look here: http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum...ead.php?t=2328 and go the last page. There is some useful info about caches and the Delorme which I find helpful.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benandtina View Post
    Any must-see caches in the state? Especially in the north or the west, since those are the areas we are not familiar with and will likely not visit more than once or twice. We'd like to know in advance so that we can be sure to plan those in to the challenge. Ben prefers caches that are hard to find, I prefer caches that take us to pretty spots or cutesy towns.
    !
    Pretty spots:

    Map 40: Either our "Got Moxie?" cache or our "Kennebec River Gorge" cache.

    Map 30: Our "Old Canada Road" cache.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hampden, ME
    Posts
    891

    Default

    Here you are, try this one. http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index...ge=maine_stats

    Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Sorry, gave you the wrong link. Have the link bookmarked but is on the other laptop. Will get it to ya as soon as I can.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    pm28570 - that link does help and highlights the more IMHO difficult areas.

    The caches put out and mentioned by WhereRWe? are nice too.

    Mainiac1957's Route 2 tour is another great way to see the state and pick up some maps.........it can be done in a day out of Bangor (been there done it). 5 maps at a bare minimum if you do no side trips to drive up or down to grab a cache in others where Rt. 2 runs close to the edge of a map. You run close to NH so you can grab a cache across the border too. Some nice historical places too.

    Best wishes on your quest!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    The caches put out and mentioned by WhereRWe? are nice too.
    Yes - beautiful locations! But I note that you've only logged one of the three I mentioned.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Thanks everyone! From the tips I've gotten on this thread and from some FANTASTICLY informative and friendly e-mails hollora sent me I think I have a vague plan. We're going to start south and work our way up. I think for now we'll hit some populated areas before venturing out in to the unknown, lol. I'll check out where the Route 2 tour takes us... we've only done one of the caches in that series so there are lots of places along the route that we haven't seen.

    Thanks for the link, pm28570 - those stats are awesome! Definitely bookmarking that page.

    Thanks for the links Bruce!!! LOVE the Moxie photos. All three seem like things to add to our to-do list!

    Thanks again everyone! I'll let you know how our first weekend of DeLorme caching goes

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benandtina View Post
    Thanks for the links Bruce!!! LOVE the Moxie photos. All three seem like things to add to our to-do list!
    I think you live in the Bangor area, so I suggest a couple of day trips:

    1. From Bangor to Greenville, Rockwood, To Jackman, south on Route 201 to Bingham, north on Route 16 to Abbot, then back to Bangor.

    2. From Bangor to Abbot, south to Bingham (go into the woods and do the caches between Abbot and Bingham), south to Skowhegan, back to Bangor on Route 2/I95.

    A lot of country, but a lot of caches and a lot of great scenery.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •