vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do I.... Google Earth

Default How Do I.... Google Earth

How do I put the waypoints for the caches I've found into Google Earth? I've done it before, but I can't seem to figure it out now.

Getting older, I guess...

When you open Google Earth there is a search box top left. The tab is set to "Fly To" by default and that's fine. Just copy the coords from the GC page and paste in the "Fly To" box.

Does that help?

The feature you had used in the past is no longer being offered. Groundspeak and Google earth used .kml files, but Geocaching.com got better maps and .kml was no longer needed as much.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Trick or Treat View Post
    When you open Google Earth there is a search box top left. The tab is set to "Fly To" by default and that's fine. Just copy the coords from the GC page and paste in the "Fly To" box.

Does that help?
    Thanks, but no. I wanted to add all my found caches to GoogleEarth. But I see that according to TAT, I can't do it.

Bet there is a way, though! LOL!

Brdad? Where are you when I need you???

Oops, didn't realize you wanted all your caches. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Thanks, but no. I wanted to add all my found caches to GoogleEarth. But I see that according to TAT, I can't do it.

Bet there is a way, though! LOL!

Brdad? Where are you when I need you???
    Sorry, I had to tape my glasses.

You can open a GPX file directly in Google Earth by selecting File-Open from the file menu, and in then choosing GPS(*.gpx *.loc *.mps) from the "Files of Type" selection box. Then navigate to the location of your GPX file. Obviously you will have to unzip your My Finds PQ file before doing this. Google Earth can be a bit sluggish opening up large PQ files directly.

There are also at least two GSAK macros which will export whatever your GSAK screen is showing in Google Earth.
    The basic one is here.
    The more advanced one is here and has custom icons for cache type and other added features. I like this method the best.

Last edited by brdad; 05-18-2009 at 09:52 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Gotta love those macros. Just downloaded and used the 2nd one you had listed and it is great.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I tried the 1st method, it's quite easy but when I selected multiple files, it would only show one. When I then loaded another, the first one was gone.
    So, that said, is it possible to load multiple files by opening in Google Earth or is the macro method more useful?

[quote=brdad;52375]Sorry, I had to tape my glasses.

You can open a GPX file directly in Google Earth by selecting File-Open from the file menu, and in then choosing GPS(*.gpx *.loc *.mps) from the "Files of Type" selection box. Then navigate to the location of your GPX file. Obviously you will have to unzip your My Finds PQ file before doing this. Google Earth can be a bit sluggish opening up large PQ files directly.

There are also at least two GSAK macros which will export whatever your GSAK screen is showing in Google Earth.
    The basic one is here.
    The more advanced one is here and has custom icons for cache type and other added features. I like this method the best.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

I used the more advanced 2nd one and it opened all of my found caches from Maine to SC. I thought it worked great.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    I tried the 1st method, it's quite easy but when I selected multiple files, it would only show one. When I then loaded another, the first one was gone.
    So, that said, is it possible to load multiple files by opening in Google Earth or is the macro method more useful?
    You should be able to load multiple GPX files (one at a time). They will be listed under Temporary Places - GPS Device on the Places list. Perhaps your issue is the timeline, which should be in the upper left of the GE screen. you need to adjust these sliders to show all waypoints.

That being said, I definitely think the GSAk method is more useful, especially when loading multiple files. You can create a new database for GSAK if there are specific files you need displayed. Otherwise you can just filter your existing database and export from there.

If you choose the advanced GSAK macro, you can opt to not have that timeline, which can be annoying.
    Last edited by brdad; 05-19-2009 at 02:15 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."