vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geocaching Presentation

Exclamation Geocaching Presentation

Joey and I have been asked to make a presentation and introduce geocaching to a local Boy Scout troop next Tuesday. As evidence by the lengths of my forum posts, I am no public speaker (in fact this is probably the longest post I have made). Any suggestions on how to make an interesting presentation that will keep the kids interest? There is a micro nearby, but if there is a ballgame going on that night we wouldn't be able to search for it.

A powerpoint presentation, if you have a computer and projector, along with some show and tell - hands on stuff - caches, books about the sport, swag, trackables, swag. I like a lot of the stuff at Geocaching University.......or it may be Geocachers U. Good Luck with your presentation.

I also a powerpoint presentation, if you want it. And, if you have internet access, here's a great little demo.

The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Hollora is correct - Geocacher University has a lot of nice information.

Regarding showing them an actual cache, I would recommend hiding a temporary cache in a safe location. That way you have full control over the location and contents. You can make sure there is something for everyone in the cache that would be of interest. I think a full size cache with stuff of interest to the scouts will leave a bigger, more positive impression of caching then a sign-the-log cache. Don't forget to stress CITO to them!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Just a little Thing

They love making up their geocaching names. Do that right from the beginning and call them by their "handles" now and then, or put the names on nametags. Some of the things I've done:
    Print up a map of the area and show caches in the area. I used the geocaching.com google map.
    Show some of the symbols. I made up a large chart.
    Hide some "caches" of your own. The kids can work in small groups, but some get offended if they can't hold a GPS unit. I preloaded the coordinates for the kids.
    Have fun!

Maybe do an arts and crafts segment where the kids can make signature items to leave in caches?

When I was in 4H, one of the mothers gave us a demonstration on jackknife safety. While she was doing her presentation, her dog got into something and distracted her. The knife slipped and laid her finger open. We then had a follow up presentation about basic first aid.
    I found the real life examples transformed an otherwise boring club meeting into a powerful learning moment that has stuck with me to this day.
    Draw what advice you can from that. **Grin**
    Listener83
    http://sethchaos.blogspot.com/
    (my occasional thought drop-box)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Listener83 View Post
    When I was in 4H, one of the mothers gave us a demonstration on jackknife safety. While she was doing her presentation, her dog got into something and distracted her. The knife slipped and laid her finger open. We then had a follow up presentation about basic first aid.
    I found the real life examples transformed an otherwise boring club meeting into a powerful learning moment that has stuck with me to this day.
    Draw what advice you can from that. **Grin**

Yes, you could have Mapachi cache with them and use his phone, trip and fall, then go into educating them on how to make a splint and keep from going into shock.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

On a serious note: Give them a modern tie in. Have you heard of the site Eastereggs.com? Geocaches are like IRL Easter eggs.
    Listener83
    http://sethchaos.blogspot.com/
    (my occasional thought drop-box)

Quote Originally Posted by cachecrashers4 View Post
    Joey and I have been asked to make a presentation and introduce geocaching to a local Boy Scout troop next Tuesday. As evidence by the lengths of my forum posts, I am no public speaker (in fact this is probably the longest post I have made). Any suggestions on how to make an interesting presentation that will keep the kids interest? There is a micro nearby, but if there is a ballgame going on that night we wouldn't be able to search for it.
    WHEN IS THE PRESENTATION? MAKE IT AN EVENT THAT WAY YOU HAVE OTHER CACHERS THERE TO SUPPORT AND HELP OUT. ARE YOU GOING TO NEED EXTRA GPS UNITS?PLACE SOME TEMP CACHES AROUND THE PROPERTY AND HAVE THE KIDS FIND THEM.
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas