vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And now, a hello from Portland

Default And now, a hello from Portland

Greetings all,

I've had the fun of reading about caching for the past couple of years (I even found a couple of Portland caches using Google Earth). But now I've got the handheld GPS unit. Finally, I can really play (and hide some of my own).

It's great to see an active caching community up in Bangor. It gives me an excuse to travel further north.

Is there much of a treasure hunting community here as well (please, I'm not including scavenger hunts)?

Welcome to the addiction!
    You'll find members here from all over the state; we are not limited to Bangor by any means.

Scavenger hunts?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Portland has many caches including the very first Cache in Maine. Lots of stuff happens in the general area as well. There was just a flash mob and coffee break event recently. Welcome to the sport!

Thumbs up North, South and everywhere in between

Whatever it is you like about geocaching you can find it somewhere in Maine. From her beautiful beaches along the coast to wide open spaces inland. A nice long walk in the woods, or a hike to above 4000'. You might even find a micro hidden in a downtown setting right next to a place you have visited many times in the past.

North, South, East or West, Maine has it all and our geocaching community is always willing to help out. In short.....we are everywhere. You just have to go out and look.

Welcome to a wonderful sport and good luck!
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Welcome Listener83

Although a lot of great cachers are north of us, there's still a lot of action down here in the Portland area as well. If you are already finding them with Google Earth and geosense alone, then you're going to have no trouble at all. But if you are still interested in some co-caching, let me know. I'd be happy to meet you somewhere.

And hang around here too. I learn so much from the discussions here. It's a great place to ask those newbie questions (that I still ask) and get honest, helpful advice.

I used to post maps of active Maine caches along with the stats, but I have not found a way to automate the process yet. But, I thought it'd be good to whip one up since I can't sleep.

These are all the currently active Maine caches and the corresponding Delorme map grids for reference..

Last edited by brdad; 05-10-2009 at 11:37 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Hey, we are from the Portland area as well and I tell you that we are not hurting in the caching area! Feel free to drop me a message and ask for some good ones to check out!
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Hi! Welcome!

Thanks for the warm response and, brdad, bene obbligato for the for the statewide map. I was surprised to see how many were hidden back where I grew up (Sumner and that area).

I've been reading the rules about caching and the guidelines for hiding them. I'm about to hide my first micro cache. Beyond what the guidelines say, are there any particular pet peeves that newbies are prone to chafe against I should know about? Or should I just wait and let experiance teach me?