vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Caches

Default Your Favorite Caches

I was just wondering what other people had in mind for their favorite caches. From the ones that I have found so far ,I'll list 3 of mine and lets see what others have to add and be sure not to list the same one. #1 YOP"S "Thornhead Challenge" easy terrain but harder difficulty. # 2 Brdad's "Halfmile" Difficult terrain and even more difficult to find those damned hockey pucks. #3" Bald Rock cache" Medium difficulty terrain but the view is just beautiful and well worth the hike. So let's hear from you guys.
    Last edited by Haffy; 04-18-2005 at 07:47 PM.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

In Maine, Hunter's Beach Hunt, The Path Less Traveled, K. I. Find (check my images on the other web site for these and the next 3), Don't Quarry Be Happy, Salute to Veterans, and Elliott Mountain Cache. Old 470 and A Cache For Mom and Dad were satisfying because they were tough (for me!). If anyone's caching in MD any time soon, let me know; I'm beginning to explore here and have already run into some excellent caches.

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by drbugman
    In Maine, Hunter's Beach Hunt, The Path Less Traveled, K. I. Find (check my images on the other web site for these and the next 3), Don't Quarry Be Happy, Salute to Veterans, and Elliott Mountain Cache. Old 470 and A Cache For Mom and Dad were satisfying because they were tough (for me!). If anyone's caching in MD any time soon, let me know; I'm beginning to explore here and have already run into some excellent caches.

Colin
    Sheesh! I gotta take exception to this one. "A Cache for Mom and Dad" is one cache I will dislike forever. It is totally illegal, and has absolutely no merit as a geocache.

Sheesh! A film canister in the base of a light post in a Wendy's restaurant? Give me a break.

Just because you couldn't find it certainly doesn't make it a good cache, IMHO.

Sorry, but I feel VERY strongly about this cache. It's a joke.

Probably the best caches I've seen - in over 340 caches found - are brdad's here in Maine (Old 470 and Battleship - probably among the best in the country), and several I've seen in other states and in Canada.

"A Cache for Mom and Dad" does not deserve to be mentioned.

Period. End of statement. I'm shutting down the computer I'm so.....

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Sheesh! I gotta take exception to this one. "A Cache for Mom and Dad" is one cache I will dislike forever. It is totally illegal, and has absolutely no merit as a geocache.
    Thanks for ruining a highly creative cache for anyone that reads this thread! If you object so much to it, why didn't you voice your concerns directly to both the owners of the cache and the people who approved it (immediately after you found it) instead of and before, spoiling it for others who may not share your views????? Should the originator of the thread have said "I was just wondering what other people had in mind for their favorite caches [except those that 'WhereRWe?' finds offensive]"???????
    Some difficult caches I'm able to find fairly easily and the converse is also true; as with many cachers, those that give me the most problems are also the most satisfying when I figure them out.
    Last edited by attroll; 04-19-2005 at 12:02 AM.

Talking Great memories.....

Hmmmm - there are so many favorites, it's hard to make a short list. I enjoy caches of all types, in all types of locations, and recognize that though some may not have an obvious reason for being placed, they will have significant meaning for the owner.

Here are some that jump to mind most quickly.....

Daytripper, Wreck Cove, A Peaceful Read, Two Lights Challenge, Payson Park by the Boulevard ...... oops, those are mine

Here is my real list.....

~ Roaring Spout
    ~ Hinkley School Nature Trail
    ~ Down by the "sea"
    ~ Picnic by the Bay
    ~ Stage Island Monument
    ~ Perkins Sanctuary
    ~ Beech Hill Cache
    ~ Percheron
    ~ Beaver Dam Baffler
    ~ Onkgre
    ~ Old 470 (yes, it is indeed on my favorite list - someday I will publish my story - LOL)

Thanks for asking the question ~ I have been smiling the entire time I have been writing my response.
    Last edited by Beach Comber; 04-19-2005 at 03:46 PM.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

okay i have only been caching since last july my very favorites so far are railbridge by pohkiy in ellsworth and martin stream cache by fffarmer in newport, because they were in such beautiful places; old 470 by brdad, because my brain still hurts from doing it; and f101b voodoo by maajda because it was so eerie and because i got to spend that morning with my youngest son
    also, where's mt waldo and don't quarry, be happy, both by sudonim, because i was ftf and i was still alive after struggling to get to them (out of shape older woman lol)
    thanks for this question

For starters, I don't think we need to be badgering other people's opinion of caches. Haffy did after all ask what your favorite caches were, and there can be no wrong answer to that question. 'nuff said.

And my previous statement makes me break my list up into two categories - favotites and what I consider to be Maine's best.

A cache doesn't have to be the best to be a favorite - it could be a favorite because of the weather, people you are with, or humorous or otherwise interesting events that may not occur when the next cacher comes.

On my list of favorites would have to be The path less traveled (GCGN5W) by parmachenee (2/3), Black Mountain Cache with a Cadillac View (GC7006) by snapp2it (3/3), Dyslexic's Nightmare (GCJ938) by Team Nirvana (4/4), and Jim's Puddle (GCG485) by Geomaineiacs (2/2.5). I am sure there are others. If you read for my logs for these caches, you might get an idea why they are favorites, and others the reasoning may not even be in the log.

I have a few listed on my geocaching web page that I think are some of Maine's best, but I need to update that as well. The ones that I think are best usually match my suggestions for hiding a cache (on this site, but I'm not posting any more links in this post!). I really like it when cache hiders show some effort in placing the cache, and when the cache is somehow different from the norm.

I also have to add that my caches are my favorites. Some days I think owning a cache is better than hunting for them. I love the logs I read, the stories I hear at the events, and all the emails. I am glad so many of you seem to enjoy them. We have a great group of cachers up here!
    Last edited by brdad; 04-18-2005 at 09:37 PM.

Default And of coarse A cache for mom and dad.

Well sometimes the best caches are the hardest or the easiest. Like the ones that i have to climb a mountain to see the best view in the world like Blue Hill mountain. And of coarse the caches that i can sit back and relax after the find. and Oh Yeah take a nap. One best that comes to mind is the Saco preserve where you take that awesome walk on the boardwalk for ever and ever.. and the favorites wouldn't be complete unless i mentioned the ( A cache for Mom and Dad) , Wether it be easy or hard, its what gets u out there , thats the main thing..It takes all kinds... its the act of geocaching , thats the true love of caching...

Noreasta.......

Thumbs up My favorites

I guess most of Brdad's would be on the list as well as WW II POW Camp
    and B52 CRASH STASH. The history with those two just floored me. Most any cache that offer a nice view is worthy of a look as far as I'm concerned.
    Happy Trails!

I just reviewed my cache list and was struck by all the places I've visited and great experiences I've had over the last year. There are too many to list, but some real standouts are:

Grout Trail - Took two tries, but worth it. Great views and touring the old quarry was educational too.

Tidal Earth Cache - This concept was too cool. Standing over 1/2 mile out in the ocean, looking back at the houses (knowing that in 6 hours, the water would be 12' deep where I was standing...)

Halfmile - ...and others from brdad. The darn hockey pucks led to a nice hike and good adventure.

Beech Hill Cache - An easy, short hike to a beautiful view next to a stone house. This would be an awesome place for a picnic.

Black Mountain Cache with a Cadillac View - Hard to get to and a steep climb, but views in every direction, with different view of Mt. Desert.

Over the Horizon - This cache is in an unremarkable spot, except for the billion dollar antenna array surrounding it (until it's removed this year). The scale of this project is hard to get your mind around, it's massive.

There are many that bring back good memories, and some bad...mucking around in water/mud after dark/bugs, etc, but they've all been worth the hunt. Looking forward to another year of building good memories. Thanks for placing all those caches guys and gals.