Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Look for a car power supply for Zire 72

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ye Olde Prospector
    Hi attroll,
    I agree with tat,small AC inverter is easiest solution. I drove truck all over the country for month at a time. Usad to run my laptop and keep batteries charged for other things all the time. Doesn't cost as much for a small inverter as it would for special adapters and you can use it for about anything that doesn't require a high wattage to run. You have 120v AC right there. You can get inverters at Radio Shack,Walmart,Sears ad lots of places.
    Cliff
    Gotta love WalMart, too! LOL!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Litchfield, Maine
    Posts
    3,589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    When in doubt, try eBay!

    I found many entries for Zire 72 car charger, such as this one:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...768835602&rd=1
    I have one of those and it is just what it says. It is a charger. If you leave the the PDA on while the charger is plugged in it will not charge fast enough to keep the PDA fully charged. I used it this weekend and left the PDA plugged in with the charger while I was caching and my battery went down to 75% after about 4 hours of caching.
    Blazing Troll

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Litchfield, Maine
    Posts
    3,589

    Default

    wbdent I also have one of hte universal ones too. But I just looked at it and my PDA needs 5.2 volts DC and my universal only has the following volts. 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9, 12. I am stuck it seems right now. I will have to call my PDA company.
    Blazing Troll

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I have one of those and it is just what it says. It is a charger. If you leave the the PDA on while the charger is plugged in it will not charge fast enough to keep the PDA fully charged. I used it this weekend and left the PDA plugged in with the charger while I was caching and my battery went down to 75% after about 4 hours of caching.
    Well, go back to WalMart and get an inverter as YOP suggested. Then you can take your cradle with you, set it on the dash, and charge to your heart's content. LOL!

    I haven't noticed that problem with my Zire 71. I have it and the eTrex Legend connected, attacehd to one power cord, and never run out of juice even when both units are on all day. We just got back from a 2-day trip downeast, and both units were on 10 hours each day. When I brought the PDA into the house to log my finds, I had almost a full charge.

    Sheesh! Bring it to the event and we'll figure it out. I'll also bring my portable 12V power supply.


  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Litchfield, Maine
    Posts
    3,589

    Default

    The Zire 72 does not have a cradle at all. It was design for the purpose of wireless connections. But as for this inverter your talking about are you refering to converting DC voltage to AC voltage? If so aren't they expensive?
    Blazing Troll

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    The Zire 72 does not have a cradle at all. It was design for the purpose of wireless connections. But as for this inverter your talking about are you refering to converting DC voltage to AC voltage? If so aren't they expensive?
    Well, a quick check of WalMart online shows a price range of $34 to $54.

    Sheesh. I guess the only solution is to toss the Zire 72 and get a nice, easy-to-use Zire 71!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Litchfield, Maine
    Posts
    3,589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Well, a quick check of WalMart online shows a price range of $34 to $54.

    Sheesh. I guess the only solution is to toss the Zire 72 and get a nice, easy-to-use Zire 71!
    No way. I love the wireless capability. I just have not used it yet. I could use wireless internet if I set it up. But I don't need that. But it does have its downfalls too.
    Blazing Troll

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Litchfield, Maine
    Posts
    3,589

    Default

    I may go to Walmart this weekend and look at one of these. What department would it be in the Audio?
    Blazing Troll

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I may go to Walmart this weekend and look at one of these. What department would it be in the Audio?
    Automotive section - look for them near the batteries.

Similar Threads

  1. Coin Event Car Pooling
    By kayakerinme in forum Geocaching Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-08-2005, 05:30 PM
  2. Zire 21 for sale
    By dí76 in forum Private Sales (members)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-10-2005, 03:19 PM
  3. Porcupines and Power Lines
    By attroll in forum Safety and Health Concerns
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-06-2005, 08:16 PM
  4. Zire 72
    By attroll in forum Geocaching Hardware & Software
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 09:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •