vb:literal>

Thread: RE: Looking for Mums

Default RE: Looking for Mums

This has nothing whatsover to do with geocaching . . . but I need folks' help.

I'm looking for some mums (the flowers . . . not the Mothers) . . . specifically red ones and yellow ones.

The problem is most folks don't seem to carry mums until the Fall . . . and I need some now. These mums don't have to have flowers . . . in fact if they have flowers I'll be cutting them off (it's a long story . . . I think if someone did a search here they could probably find out why).

In any case, as folks range far and wide on their geocaching trips if they see some place carrying mums could they let me know? Thanks.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Mums again Jake? Oh my! Mums the word on why...........

jake, why don't you just dig them up after the fall, and cultivate them above the garage through the winter, so in the spring you'll have no trouble finding the right colors....???
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I did a search and found your original post. I think that what you did for your wife, and continue to do every year, is incredibly sweet. I'm sure if you told her about it the knowledge that you care this much will help her get past the disappointment of knowing her flowers aren't really blooming... but I can COMPLETELY understand why you'd want to continue doing what you have been.

I don't know of any local growers but I did find these online:
    http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_n...source=froogle

They are probably way more pricey than a local grower but maybe you can keep it in mind as a last resort?

Also, I had noticed these when I was searching for flowers to send my mom on Mother's day. They are lavender, so it will probably be really obvious... but sometimes flowers change colors so maybe they'll work?
    http://products.proflowers.com/flowe...RecentlyViewed

I worked for a nursery for almost ten years and Father's Day was the time the mums were potted up and put outside to grow in. How long do you have?

Hi! I thought to call the nursery I drive past every day on my way home. You may want to contact them, their info is on http://www.spraguesnursery.com/

I spoke to a woman there (I believe her name is Kristy or Katie, I can't remember) and she said they have some sort of mum, but not the type you would get in the Fall. She said they can sell the seedling for the type you would get in the Fall, but that they won't look as good being planted now because the nursery "pinches" them... I have no clue what that means. She said that she doesn't know how much they would charge for the seedling but she feels like whatever they charge wouldn't be worth it since they are so tiny and won't bloom nicely. She couldn't give me a ballpark amount. Maybe if you call and explain your situation they can be more helpful? Goodluck!

A nursery will get mums in the next few weeks. They will come as little seedlings called plugs. The nursery will then pot up the plugs into various sized containers and place them outside to grow on. They are 'pinched' on a certain schedule. Pinching just mean pinching or cutting the main stem of the plant to encourage growth from the sides giving you a full, bushy plant with lots of blooms in the fall as opposed to plants that aren't pinched which grow tall without a lot of branches for blooms.

The nursery I worked for will be potting up their mums in a couple of weeks. The won't be available in big containers until August, but you can probably get some in quart sized containers for under $5.00. You can plant them now, but in order for them to grow big and bushy, you will have to pinch them. I can give you more direction on this if you end up getting some little guys.

Let me know if you'd like me to track some down for you if you have two or three weeks.

Thanks guys . . . I may try Sprague's first since it's close . . . if not I will definitely keep you in mind Trick or Treat . . . I don't really need bushy plants . . . as I've got pretty good at pinching them back myself.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."