vb:literal>

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Hi there!

We also did both of these , on a nice day, no snow squalls. I did not know about the parking, but we found one spot on the curved area of the road, but a big storm drain. There was sort of a path down beside the drain to get down to the beach area. It was a quite a distance to get to the ovens, so don't dally along. Very interesting cache and no problem getting there without a boat on a low tide. I like the Hunter's beach cache down in that area as well.

It would appear to me that I really need to go through this list again. I have nearly 200 caches on my list, but I don't think it will be possible. And I am not even near Portland and want to do some of the lighthouse caches down there.

Something would seem to tell me that once I get this more organized I might need to show the list to a Maine veteran to tell me ones to cross off or if the list is possible.

It's also being discussed to add an extra day, so that could help, too.

I can't believe I'm planning so much and this trip is like six or seven weeks away!

Default It's tough to have a timeline!

We have been in the same situation. It's tough when you want to take the time and enjoy the area you are in and there are so many worthwhile caches. You'll figure it out.

Just to add fuel to the fire, on your trip down Rt 1, if you decide to take a coastal detour through Jonesport via Rt. 187 and it is mealtime, there is a great local eatery named Tall Barneys. There are only a few caches along that route, and they probably don't warrant the detour alone, but Jonesport is a great example of Maine fishing town. But it doesn't hurt to add the eatery to your list just in case.
    Last edited by brdad; 06-23-2009 at 06:07 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by softball29 View Post
    It would appear to me that I really need to go through this list again. I have nearly 200 caches on my list, but I don't think it will be possible. And I am not even near Portland and want to do some of the lighthouse caches down there.

Something would seem to tell me that once I get this more organized I might need to show the list to a Maine veteran to tell me ones to cross off or if the list is possible.

It's also being discussed to add an extra day, so that could help, too.

I can't believe I'm planning so much and this trip is like six or seven weeks away!
    So many caches, so little time . . .

Once you have a rough schedule and list of caches shooting it our way probably wouldn't hurt as folks may be able to suggest other caches that are close and worthwhile . . . or highlight the "must do" caches on your trips.

In regards to the last part . . . part of the fun of a trip is in the planning and anticipation . . . at least it is for me.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I believe you mentioned that you were planning to spend a night in Bangor. If so, I recommend checking out the nighttime cache GCYY49. My husband and I did it last week and loved it. It wasn't dark the whole time... we got there at dusk and had some light most of the time before finding the cache. By the time we got to the cache it was completely dark.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    We have been in the same situation. It's tough when you want to take the time and enjoy the area you are in and there are so many worthwhile caches. You'll figure it out.

Just to add fuel to the fire, on your trip down Rt 1, if you decide to take a coastal detour through Jonesport via Rt. 187 and it is mealtime, there is a great local eatery named Tall Barneys. There are only a few caches along that route, and they probably don't warrant the detour alone, but Jonesport is a great example of Maine fishing town. But it doesn't hurt to add the eatery to your list just in case.
    I will jot that down in the notebook. I have so many things I have been writing down. Eventually I'm going to put all of this together into one Word file, make it a PDF and print it out for everyone that is going so we can all decide which side trips to make. Looks like a good place to eat though!

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    So many caches, so little time . . .

Once you have a rough schedule and list of caches shooting it our way probably wouldn't hurt as folks may be able to suggest other caches that are close and worthwhile . . . or highlight the "must do" caches on your trips.

In regards to the last part . . . part of the fun of a trip is in the planning and anticipation . . . at least it is for me.
    At this point, I have a rough schedule.

Problem is, once I hit "Thursday," which would be the fifth (and really final full day) of caching and such, I've just been adding cache after cache -- and I'm not even to Portland!

I want to get the lighthouse ones in Portland that someone suggested earlier in this thread for sure. My big thing is that once Friday hits, we have to start working our way home. I just haven't pinned down a time I need to be back here by. Originally I thought five, now it sounds like it could be 7-8, so that leaves options, too.

I've not listed more than 40 caches in a day on this route, figuring some days will be tough to even get that as some will likely be hikes etc. That being said, we're going to be trying to begin each day around 7 a.m., so if it stays light until 8-830 p.m., we should be OK. Mother Nature could also interfere, but at this point, there's no way of planning that!

The basics of the plan (which could change as we might leave a day earlier and come up a slightly different route), but is to make it to Bangor the first night. Day 2 would be heading to the top of the state via 95 (making a few stops on exits and rest areas), do the webcam and nearby covered bridge caches (as well as the others around) in Houlton and starting down Route 1, finally stopping for the night near Robbinston.

Day Three brings us down the coast, mainly staying on Route 1 -- but with sidetrips to Quoddy and the one part of Acadia (Earthcache and virtual). We'll eventually (hopefully anyway) reach the area of Trenton and stay there for the night.

Day Four is to spend all day and such doing the caches around Bar Harbor, Acadia, Mount Desert Island etc. Basically to see that area for the day, before moving on. So we'd likely stay around Trenton again.

Day Five is continuing down the coast. But, out of Trenton and right off 1, I wanted to go down the one side (Blue Hill Falls and Deer Island area) because there are so many Earthcaches, so I have a feeling, trying to topple that island and eventually making our way back up to Bucksport might take the better part of a day.

That's where, sometimes, I over plan. I have a feeling if we trimmed a bunch of caches, we could plan to be further along each day, but I'm not sure. I'm going by basic "travel" mileage, so we'll see how it goes.

All I know is I have to figure a way to plan Portland into the trip. IF we add another day and such, it's possible we might be able to shift a different route which means we could essentially travel UP the coast (and then come back down 95 or, at least, the inland, to head home. Thus, we could essentially start in Portland. But that won't be decided for a few weeks.

My big thing is trying to figure the caches and if it's possible to do how many I planned in a day. With not knowing the true terrain (a 2 to m3 could be a 3 to another etc.) or how people hide 'em etc., could also throw a kink into things.

I do agree on the planning thought though -- it is part of the anticipation etc.

Quote Originally Posted by benandtina View Post
    I believe you mentioned that you were planning to spend a night in Bangor. If so, I recommend checking out the nighttime cache GCYY49. My husband and I did it last week and loved it. It wasn't dark the whole time... we got there at dusk and had some light most of the time before finding the cache. By the time we got to the cache it was completely dark.
    Depending how we feel once we hit Bangor, I do have this one hopefully planned in. Night caches are awesome! Thanks!

Because this "hi there" thread turned into more than that, I figured this would be the one place to come back to...

Anyway, I might be wanting to shift my plans a little. I'm wondering if going across from Bangor (on Route 9) toward the coast isn't better than heading to the top and coming down the coast. Bottom line is we were doing it to do the webcam and the covered bridge cache up there, but it almost seems better to head straight to the coast.

My main goal is to eventually be by Portland by Thursday night (of the week we'll be there) so we can do the lighthouse caches there Friday morning and then head home in plenty of time.

So I come to the wise ones of Maine caching and ask if that is the better plan?

Default Stud Mill Road

Quote Originally Posted by softball29 View Post
    Because this "hi there" thread turned into more than that, I figured this would be the one place to come back to...

Anyway, I might be wanting to shift my plans a little. I'm wondering if going across from Bangor (on Route 9) toward the coast isn't better than heading to the top and coming down the coast. Bottom line is we were doing it to do the webcam and the covered bridge cache up there, but it almost seems better to head straight to the coast.

My main goal is to eventually be by Portland by Thursday night (of the week we'll be there) so we can do the lighthouse caches there Friday morning and then head home in plenty of time.

So I come to the wise ones of Maine caching and ask if that is the better plan?
    Heading across Route 9 will notice that there are a few new caches in the area........like 139 of them. You are coming to Maine and it has many beautiful places to visit. Both along the coast and inland. You'll be happy with which ever route you take.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.