vb:literal>

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi there!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Which is what I said... LOL!

So you're only going to be on I95 for about 20 miles. Believe me, that's best! (And you really don't have to get on I95 at all to get to Bangor - stay on route 2. It only takes you 15 minutes or so longer.)
    I've plotted a little here and see the benefit of Route 2.

We're still planning on going to the top of the state, if not just for that webcam and a full curve down the coast. We have several days, so I'm not too worried about a little extra time!

As it stands, it looks like we're thinking of leaving that Sunday (I'll be in Montreal for the weekend, meeting a friend in Plattsburgh and riding with him from there as my other friends head home from Montreal...) and we'll basically go from Plattsburgh to Bangor that day (caching along the way, of course). Stay in Bangor for the night and then head north Monday.

Considering Bangor to Houlton doesn't seem like more than a few-hour drive, we'll head up (cache some along the way), then curve around down the coast. We'll be doing a sunup to sundown sort of day on each day, so we should have plenty of time and light to get a lot of caches and take in scenery.

The side trips, off Route 1, will include Bar Harbor and a few others so we can touch on all of Acadia and get many Earthcaches (I think I found like 20 of them?).

My one hope is that we can somehow stumble across an event of some sort while we're on the trip. It's always fun to meet people while out and about on a caching trip!

Over the next month and a half, I'll be doing some serious planning and look forward to exploring these routes you all have told us to take!

Quote Originally Posted by Trick or Treat View Post
    Agreed. Start at Bug Light (Portland Harbor Lighthouse) in South Portland, just over the bridge from Portland with beautiful views of the Portland harbor and skyline.

Five minutes away is the Spring Point Ledge Lighthouse with views of Casco Bay and islands. Both of these lighthouses are accessible by breakwaters, one short, one longer.

Fort Williams / Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth is 5 minutes south on Rt 77 and has been called the most photographed lighthouse in North America. From here you can also see Ram Island Ledge Light.

That's four lighthouses and gorgeous Maine scenery within ten minutes of each other. Just a few minutes further, but also in Cape Elizabeth, is Two Lights State Park. Though they aren't accessible, there is a well known restaurant right there and a cache I haven't been able to find.
    If we're going up to Houlton from Bangor and then coming back down Route 1, when would it be best to see these lighthouses? I love light houses and would love to be able to get up close and get some photographs of them. Also -- do any of them allow you inside or tour?

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    Are you taking the ferry from Plattsburgh to Grand Isle? If so, from Burlington you can take 89 south to W.Lebanon NH and 91 to Concord, NH. 393 to 4 east (lots of caches on this route) all the way to Portsmouth, NH and then 95 north across the Maine border. The trip from Burlington will take you about 4 1/2 hours plus any caches you choose to stop for.
    That is, indeed, where we'll cross.

I will take a peek at that as well and see which one we like better in regard to caches etc. That Route 2 one has some good-looking caches!

Quote Originally Posted by softball29 View Post
    If we're going up to Houlton from Bangor and then coming back down Route 1, when would it be best to see these lighthouses? I love light houses and would love to be able to get up close and get some photographs of them. Also -- do any of them allow you inside or tour?
    Scratch that silly question....

I looked at the map and realized where I was. So this would obviously be on our way back down. Hahaha.

If we're going up to Houlton from Bangor and then coming back down Route 1, when would it be best to see these lighthouses?
    These lighthouses are in the southern part of the state. Unless you want drive among hordes of elderly tourists driving RV's, taking route 1 south of - say Belfast - is not a good idea.

Don't think any offer tours though you can walk right up to all of them except Two Lights. Portland Head Light has a little gift shop right in the former keeper's house.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    These lighthouses are in the southern part of the state. Unless you want drive among hordes of elderly tourists driving RV's, taking route 1 south of - say Belfast - is not a good idea.

That's not to say that you can't see the coast, but WhereRWe? is right when he says Route 1 is clogged all summer. The other way around is to take Route 95 and then cut over to the coast to the areas you want to visit.

If you're coming via Rt 2, there is a neat simple cache in NH just before the border.
    Old Man of the Valley Cache (GCJ85Q) by Ye Olde Prospector (1.5/1.5)

Have you tried a PQ for caches along a route? It seems like this might be a good trip for that purpose.

I think you should consider West Quoddy Head as well, the easternmost combination Lighthouse/Benchmark in the US. There is a nice cache there and it's a great part of the Maine coast. I just remembered I was the first to log that benchmark. There is a visitors center at the lighthouse open from 10AM to 4 PM.
    Quoddy Quandry (GC8A65) by k1br (1.5/1.5)
    Benchmark: PD0694

I live in Bangor as well as several other cachers who might be willing to meet up with you for a meal if the timing is right.
    Last edited by brdad; 06-16-2009 at 07:19 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

didn't intend to post this message
    Last edited by eebee; 06-16-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Hit enter in error

Instead of crossing the border at Houlton, you could also cross the border to New Brunswick at Lubec, taking you to Campobello Island. You could do this on your way back down Route 1. Campobello has a great many beautiful caches, several interesting earth caches and a lovely lighthouse that you can only walk up to when the tide is out. The New Brunswick countryside at the Houlton border crossing is nice, but I think you might get a lot more from a visit to Campobello, given your limited time.