vb:literal>

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi there!

eebee - so right but I just got a PM that one of the traveling crew doesn't have a passport so "crossing" won't happen. Plugging Rt. 2 and also Rt.1 or 1A will probably work ok.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    These lighthouses are in the southern part of the state. Unless you want drive among hordes of elderly tourists driving RV's, taking route 1 south of - say Belfast - is not a good idea.
    So I assume at some point on my quest of driving down the coast I should get off Route 1 then?? What would be the suggestion to go from that point?

Quote Originally Posted by Trick or Treat View Post
    Don't think any offer tours though you can walk right up to all of them except Two Lights. Portland Head Light has a little gift shop right in the former keeper's house.
    Awesome to note. As I said somewhere, in this thread I think, I'll be starting a notebook soon once I have things more solidified. These lighthouses (especially if caches are nearby) will be in there. I'll basically be trying to keep ideas for food spots, caches and good photo opps. Though this will be a caching trip, I imagine it will be four nights of pure fun and excitement. I know one spot I want to eat when in Bar Harbor. Ate there a few years back and it was incredible (Maggies).

Quote Originally Posted by Trick or Treat View Post
    That's not to say that you can't see the coast, but WhereRWe? is right when he says Route 1 is clogged all summer. The other way around is to take Route 95 and then cut over to the coast to the areas you want to visit.
    I planned on coming down Route 1 most of the way. Is there a spot where it gets really clogged, or is it all along? I don't mind some traffic as we're going to be just moving along and all. If it got too bad, I'm sure we could re-adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    If you're coming via Rt 2, there is a neat simple cache in NH just before the border.
    Old Man of the Valley Cache (GCJ85Q) by Ye Olde Prospector (1.5/1.5)

Have you tried a PQ for caches along a route? It seems like this might be a good trip for that purpose.

I think you should consider West Quoddy Head as well, the easternmost combination Lighthouse/Benchmark in the US. There is a nice cache there and it's a great part of the Maine coast. I just remembered I was the first to log that benchmark. There is a visitors center at the lighthouse open from 10AM to 4 PM.
    Quoddy Quandry (GC8A65) by k1br (1.5/1.5)
    Benchmark: PD0694

I live in Bangor as well as several other cachers who might be willing to meet up with you for a meal if the timing is right.
    The Quoddy one is now on my list. Those look AWESOME. If I can get 4-5 lighthouses to photograph on this trip I am going to be one happy camper!

As for caches along a route -- I'm not a huge fan of doing that. I like to do it one by one, if only for the reason that I will look at each cache and pick out the ones that look the best as well as make sure we have time to get to where we want etc. I sometimes over plan, which then leads to being late or not finishing what we wanted to do. Considering we'll be trying to see things, take photos, and cache -- it might be a little more tame than I might do if it was a full caching trip!

Quote Originally Posted by eebee View Post
    Instead of crossing the border at Houlton, you could also cross the border to New Brunswick at Lubec, taking you to Campobello Island. You could do this on your way back down Route 1. Campobello has a great many beautiful caches, several interesting earth caches and a lovely lighthouse that you can only walk up to when the tide is out. The New Brunswick countryside at the Houlton border crossing is nice, but I think you might get a lot more from a visit to Campobello, given your limited time.
    As hollara said in another message, we'll not be crossing at all, unfortunately. At least one (if not two) of the others won't have a passport at that point, so getting across won't work well. No biggie... I'll save those parts of Canada for a later time!

I mentioned the caches along a route only as a means to get a list of what's available, to be narrowed down further. That's easy for the inland part. You'll need the most route editing on the coastal route, a person could easily use up 2 weeks driving the coast. There's a hundred methods, use what work for you.

Another worthy stop on Rt 1 and an Earthcache you may already have on your list is
    Halfway between the Equator and the North Pole? (GC1770E) by Northwoods Explorer (3/1) (You'll have to drive back about 3 miles North to log the Earthcache). The marker at this location is the oldest 45th parallel marker in the US, placed there in 1899 at a cost of $8.00!

What you may not know is that there is a neat store 1/4 mile south of the cache that is a great stop. N 44° 59.8163' W 67° 5.2342'
    Last edited by brdad; 06-17-2009 at 06:38 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    If you're coming via Rt 2, there is a neat simple cache in NH just before the border.
    Old Man of the Valley Cache (GCJ85Q) by Ye Olde Prospector (1.5/1.5)

Have you tried a PQ for caches along a route? It seems like this might be a good trip for that purpose.

I think you should consider West Quoddy Head as well, the easternmost combination Lighthouse/Benchmark in the US. There is a nice cache there and it's a great part of the Maine coast. I just remembered I was the first to log that benchmark. There is a visitors center at the lighthouse open from 10AM to 4 PM.
    Benchmark: PD0694

I live in Bangor as well as several other cachers who might be willing to meet up with you for a meal if the timing is right.
    +1 on both of these recommendations . . . the Old Man cache and Quoddy Cache are good caches . . . and if you're into earth caches there is a really neat earth cache near the Quoddy Cache that is well worth doing . . . I just can't remember the name of it.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    +1 on both of these recommendations . . . the Old Man cache and Quoddy Cache are good caches . . . and if you're into earth caches there is a really neat earth cache near the Quoddy Cache that is well worth doing . . . I just can't remember the name of it.
    Oops, I knew that but it slipped by me. There's actually 2 Earthcaches and two regular caches at Quoddy.

Fundy Tides (GC15114) by Northwoods Explorer (3.5/3.5)
    West Quoddy Head #1 (GC1FCVT) by Lupine58 (1/1)
    Carrying Place Cove Bog (GC13YZA) by Northwoods Explorer (1.5/3.5)

The bog at Quoddy is a very neat spot, but a bit of a walk. Well worth it if you have the time.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Passports

Quote Originally Posted by softball29 View Post
    As hollara said in another message, we'll not be crossing at all, unfortunately. At least one (if not two) of the others won't have a passport at that point, so getting across won't work well. No biggie... I'll save those parts of Canada for a later time!
    Yes, the whole passport thing just makes it more difficult, doesn't it? It used to be so easy! Just in case. you do find yourself close to the border and wishing you could cross, it has been on the news here that they aren't denying entry back into the US. They are giving warnings, and saying you "may experience delays" They will be doing this for an indefinite time to come. If you let them know that your passports are still in the application process, they are being lenient. They can't deny you entry into your own country, and Canada won't allow you to stay You will have plenty to do and see just staying in Maine, but if you find you do want to make the crossing keep it in mind