vb:literal>

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Hi there!

In lieu of a passport or passport card, you can also use an "enhanced drivers license".

I note that New York is one of the states issuing them, so you may already have the document you need to get back into the US from Canada. Check your driver's licenses! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I mentioned the caches along a route only as a means to get a list of what's available, to be narrowed down further. That's easy for the inland part. You'll need the most route editing on the coastal route, a person could easily use up 2 weeks driving the coast. There's a hundred methods, use what work for you.

Another worthy stop on Rt 1 and an Earthcache you may already have on your list is
    Halfway between the Equator and the North Pole? (GC1770E) by Northwoods Explorer (3/1) (You'll have to drive back about 3 miles North to log the Earthcache). The marker at this location is the oldest 45th parallel marker in the US, placed there in 1899 at a cost of $8.00!

What you may not know is that there is a neat store 1/4 mile south of the cache that is a great stop. N 44° 59.8163' W 67° 5.2342'
    More added to my list.

Question -- why would I have to drive 3 miles back to log the Earthcache? Looks like it's right on Route 1? Not seeing anything in the description that says to drive somewhere else?

As for the store... very cool. Name?

Quote Originally Posted by softball29 View Post
    More added to my list.

Question -- why would I have to drive 3 miles back to log the Earthcache? Looks like it's right on Route 1? Not seeing anything in the description that says to drive somewhere else?

As for the store... very cool. Name?
    From the cache description:
    ...Remember this is an earthcache so there is no container just an earth science lesson in an amazing area. To log this cache, you must post a photo of yourself with your GPS showing the stone marker in the background. You must then travel to a second set of coordinates where you will use the information collected to calculate the diameter of the earth. Then Email me through my profile the calculated diameter of the earth. Below are the instructions for calculating the earth’s diameter.
    Drive your car to N44 57.198 W67 05.325 and find a location on the side of the road....

I calculated an approximate distance between the posted and the drive to coords, that's where I got 3 miles from.

I think the name of the store is "45th Parallel", or something very close to that. There are two large globes out front by the road.
    Google Maps Street view, heading south.
    Last edited by brdad; 06-17-2009 at 12:42 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    From the cache description:
    ...Remember this is an earthcache so there is no container just an earth science lesson in an amazing area. To log this cache, you must post a photo of yourself with your GPS showing the stone marker in the background. You must then travel to a second set of coordinates where you will use the information collected to calculate the diameter of the earth. Then Email me through my profile the calculated diameter of the earth. Below are the instructions for calculating the earth’s diameter.
    Drive your car to N44 57.198 W67 05.325 and find a location on the side of the road....

I calculated an approximate distance between the posted and the drive to coords, that's where I got 3 miles from.

I think the name of the store is "45th Parallel", or something very close to that. There are two large globes out front by the road.
    Google Maps Street view, heading south.
    I guess I should read closer. Doh!

Three miles isn't too bad though. If it was 20... that might be different. Looks like a cool enough cache though.

And the store is on my list now. Sounds neat.

Hi!

I love lighthouses too. Sorry if some of my suggestions are out of your way... I tried to keep up with all the directions for your planned route but I'm still not extremely familiar with the area so I may have gotten confused.

Fort Point deLight (GC2414) was already mentioned, but I figured I would bring it up again since it is the lighthouse closest to Bangor.

Breakwater Lighthouse (GC1A030) is near Rockland Breakwater. I tried to search for it a couple weeks ago but it was muggled. It looks like the owner has replaced it, though. Near the cache is a short breakwater you can walk across and there are sometimes tours of the lighthouse. We were there on a Saturday and they were allowing people in. The light's calendar is at http://www.rocklandlighthouse.com/calendar.html and it looks like they are having a bunch of "Open House" events. I assume that must have been what was going on when I was there. Owl's Head light is near there and you can also get views of Curtis Island and (I think) Indian Island lighthouses. Let me know if you'd like me to find the exact streets we took to get the offshore views.

This is probably out of your way and there appear to be no caches on the island, but Grindle Point is on Islesboro and is a neat lighthouse to check out. I don't know when they allow people in, but to get to the light you have to walk through a tunnelish thing (it's above ground but feels like a tunnel). It's built on the foundation of the light's original keeper's quarters. Supposedly the lighthouse is haunted and some people have heard a man's voice coming from the tower... but when they go in to the tower no one is there. We did not hear any voices but we have fun anyway

This is a bookmark I created of caches near spots that have good views of lighthouses. Some are near the lighthouses and others are along the coast and give a nice view of offshore lights:
    http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/...f-4ecd0e66bae1

Default Route 2

I would be remiss if I didn't mention one "other type of Caching" you might want to consider if you're iinto wilderness and numbers. Just north of Old Town, which is just north of Bangor is the small town of Costigan. There is a very well maintained paper company road(the Stud Mill Road) open to the public that runs easterly from Route 2 towards Eastport, Machias and some of the other beautiful coastal towns suggested in this thread. My wife and I went there yesterday, started caching around 10:15 and stopped fairly close to Machias at 5:15. We saw moose, deer, rabbits, turtles, eagles, hawks, turkey buzzards, you name it. We also logged 90 caches. While this is not the type of caching that everybody likes, check the cache density and the route and if you like the looks of it, then have at it! There are a lot of very good suggested caches mentioned by others along the coast all that you will likely enjoy.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

dubord: Thanks for the tip. I checked that out and if I was closer to the area, I'd totally pull that off. Alas, this trip, though there will be numbers, is more about finding the good containers and such. We did a route like that (not quite that many) near us not too long ago. It's actually kind of fun to pull off numbers runs like that at times!

Thanks to everyone for the tips and spots on this thread. I've already started planning and have a bunch of covered bridges, lighthouses and everything else planned in. Of course I'll check my route again at the end of July or so to see if any of the ones I've planned are disabled or if some new ones have showed up and need to be added to the list.

I'm still working on the route -- a little each day. I'm down to the Bar Harbor area. I just hope my "day" is realistic -- in other words, how many and how far we get each day. I hate to think we won't be close to this with how it's planned, but I think if we are on the go by 7-8 a.m. each day and go until a little past dark, we should be OK in early August.

If there are any other ideas and suggestions, keep 'em coming!

Now, I need an opinion.

I have us getting from Houlton down to Bar Harbor, then around the Island and all. After a night's sleep (From Houlton to Bar Harbor, I've planned as a few days with all the stops we have planned), but the bottom line is when we're off the Island it would be Wednesday night.

So Thursday of our week, I'd have us going down to do a bunch of the Earthcaches near Goose Falls and below. I'm wondering when we come back up to Route 1 around Bucksport and all if that's when we shouldn't start heading more inland, do a few more caches and start the trek home? I remember someone on the thread saying below Belfast could be brutal on Route 1?

When Friday comes, we need to be heading home as I need to be back in Central New York by about 5 p.m. We'll cache some on the way home, but not as much as I've planned through the week.

Any thoughts on when we should break off Route 1 is appreciated. I think we might look to visit LL Bean before heading home Friday, or if we can scratch some things and head there Thursday night (don't they have crazy hours there?).

Thanks in advance!

24 hours open

Quote Originally Posted by softball29 View Post
    I'm wondering when we come back up to Route 1 around Bucksport and all if that's when we shouldn't start heading more inland, do a few more caches and start the trek home? I remember someone on the thread saying below Belfast could be brutal on Route 1?
    I'd suggest caching down as far as Belfast, and then heading inland on Routes 3/202 (Both good roads) to Augusta and I-95. Then plot your best route to your destination.

(And I've got a feeling you're going to be hitting some wicked traffic back to central New York! LOL!)