vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPSmap 60CSx loading waypoints

Default GPSmap 60CSx loading waypoints

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find it. Now that life has slowed down a bit we have decided to get back into caching. We just aquired a new GPSmap 60CSx. I installed the software that came with the unit and was in hopes to be able to load pocket queries into it. So far I can load one cache at a time or from my PQ I can select 20, load them into Mapsource, then upload to GPS. this takes for ever. Is there an easier way to get multiple caches into the unit that will include new caches?

Quote Originally Posted by FFFarmer View Post
    I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find it. Now that life has slowed down a bit we have decided to get back into caching. We just aquired a new GPSmap 60CSx. I installed the software that came with the unit and was in hopes to be able to load pocket queries into it. So far I can load one cache at a time or from my PQ I can select 20, load them into Mapsource, then upload to GPS. this takes for ever. Is there an easier way to get multiple caches into the unit that will include new caches?
    Best way is to use GSAK - Geocaching Swiss Army Knife.

Once you have GSAK on your desktop, you can download your PQ, extract the ZIP file to your desktop, and drag the file to the GSAK icon on your desktop.

Once you have the caches in GSAK, you can transfer the caches to your 60csx, and also to your PDA if you're a paperless cacher.

It's easier than it sounds.

And congrats on getting a Garmin 60csx! It's a great GPSr.

Thanks WhereRWe!

another quick ??? when you extract the zip file you end up with two seperate files (.gpx & .wpts.gpx) do you load one or the other into GSAK? or do you load their parent file?

Thanks again.

I don't even bother to do the extracting, I just drag the zip file directly into GSAK from the desktop and it will do all that for you automatically.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

EASY! I guess! The problem now is my 60csx is full.
    How are you guys managing waypoints to avoid this? and where does the micro SD card come into play here? or does it?

Default GSAK:user flags

EASY! I guess! The problem now is my 60csx is full.
    How are you guys managing waypoints to avoid this? and where does the micro SD card come into play here? or does it?
    in GSAK there is an option in the tool bar for "User Flags" in the drop down menu use....Set For Next nn Records

this will allow you to choose the number of waypoints to download.

1) find a cache in the GSAK database that you want to visit. Right click on it and select: Set This Cache as Centre Point

2) then select the Set For Next nn Records in the tool bar. Choose a number like 750 and that will place a check next to the closest 750 caches. Your 60CSx will hold 1000 waypoints.

3) then in the "Select A Saved Filter" box, choose User Flag (GSAK Default) that will select only the waypoints that have been checked. Now download to your GPS. Done!

The MicroSD card is for downloading maps from Mapsource. My 1G card has all of New England both Mapsource and TOPO.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Thanks T2H

will that overwrite what is already loaded? i assume it won't, so how do I clean out what is there already and is there a way to save a few waypoints I have saved in thier i.e. home, camp, etc?????

Lightbulb Great question

Thanks T2H

will that overwrite what is already loaded? i assume it won't, so how do I clean out what is there already and is there a way to save a few waypoints I have saved in thier i.e. home, camp, etc?????
    You will have to delete the waypoints each time you download a different area to your GPS. On your GPS.........

Find>waypoints>menu>delete it will then ask you All Symbols or you can delete by selecting a symbol to delete. I have added a few that I wish to keep and have put them under the "church" icon. That way I always remember not to delete that symbol. Once you get used to it. It takes only a few minutes to update your GPS each time you head out the door on your next adventure.

You can use GSAK to set the icons for each of your waypoints. Traditional, multi, letterbox, and events show up as treasure chests and for the puzzles I use a blue flag. That way I know when I come across a puzzle cache.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Great Info!

My wife has been saying "why didn't you just ask these guys in the first place? I knew it had to be easy!"

Because men don't ask for help until hours of trying to figure it out on your own fails!

Thanks Again!!!!

Great Info!

My wife has been saying "why didn't you just ask these guys in the first place? I knew it had to be easy!"

Because men don't ask for help until hours of trying to figure it out on your own fails!

Thanks Again!!!!
    Ah, it is a trait but one we learn to love! Welcome back! Now, talk Dave into putting out some ATV caches!