vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Logging DNFs

When I first started it was the thought of not finding the cache that so many had already found and having that " black mark " by your name. After only a few weeks and many conversations with Dubord207, I realized the importance that DNF's have for the owner and the future cache finders. As a finder I log all of my DNF's and appreciate it when others do also. I usually will not skip a cache because of DNF's but I may shorten my search time. As an owner I usually wait for 3 DNF's on a cache before I will check on it. I just recently DNFed( is that a word) a 1/1. I guess for that I should have a "blackmark"!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

Default DNF's

I log them all. Last weekend I did a Centum, had 12 DNF's and logged them all. For those that place caches, a bunch of DNF's in a row should raise questions regarding maintenence or whether the cache is underrated in terms of difficulty. Not logging a DNF on a real hard find likely has the effect of lulling some into a false sense that a cache is easy to find when it's not. I've finally learned the hard way not to suggest a cache is "gone" just because I didn't find it, something mapachi "taught" me.

But I will confess that I do put all my DNF's on my watchlist to see what happens to future seekers. I have a handful of caches that I've logged upwards of 5 DNF's...guess that's either being stubborn or blind determination!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I do that sometimes too. I like to watch to see who finds ones I don't. Sometimes their logs gives you a new way of looking at things.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I log them all. Last weekend I did a Centum, had 12 DNF's and logged them all. For those that place caches, a bunch of DNF's in a row should raise questions regarding maintenence or whether the cache is underrated in terms of difficulty. Not logging a DNF on a real hard find likely has the effect of lulling some into a false sense that a cache is easy to find when it's not. I've finally learned the hard way not to suggest a cache is "gone" just because I didn't find it, something mapachi "taught" me.

But I will confess that I do put all my DNF's on my watchlist to see what happens to future seekers. I have a handful of caches that I've logged upwards of 5 DNF's...guess that's either being stubborn or blind determination!

Any by Laughing Terry by chance?
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Default Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    Any by Laughing Terry by chance?

Who else could post such diabolical caches.....but once found I tout him as the greatest.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Red face don't be afraid.....

Quote Originally Posted by benandtina View Post
    My thought that we have more DNFs than others is based on that and the actual cache logs... not the gc.com profiles. Sorry about that
    I have 32 logged DNF's, still unresolved 10 in Maine, 10 in Vermont, and 12 in NH. I too like to return to those I have not found, and I will watch the cache to see if it has been found after my visit. I remember being told when I first started that I had to log my DNF's or the caching God's would get me.... So far so good.

My only rule is: If you have exited the vehicle, once your feet touch the ground, and you have a GPS'r in your hand. That constitutes an attempt to find the cache and if you have not signed the log. That's a DNF!
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

i posted two dnf's this weekend and one note. the cache owners promptly checked and found that the cache was missing and posted on their cache page that they replaced or will replace so now the next time i am in the area i will bag them. so posting does help.
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I like the idea of the watchlist! Never thought of that. I have no problem logging a DNF (although we recently searched for one we really wanted and we decided to quit the search due to conditions and nightfall, we posted a note to that fact, however we WILL go back and either find it or we will log a DNF if we don't). We had a cache that muggled a couple of times and it was nice getting the DNF logs so we could get it corrected in a timely fashion.

Arrow Use GSAK

If you use GSAK there is a check box for placing a cache on watchlist. I often watch a cache I DNF just to see if it was me or whether other are having a hard time as well.
    Happy Trails!

I have days where I log more DNFs then finds! All is fun though. Sometimes it's the search that is fun, and the find sometimes becomes anti-climatic!
    Log em all.....sometimes the cache owner knows something you don't and will sometimes e-mail you and tell you to go ahead and log a find, because you were looking in the right place but the owner new it was missing and had not disabled it yet.