vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Logging DNFs

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    My only rule is: If you have exited the vehicle, once your feet touch the ground, and you have a GPS'r in your hand. That constitutes an attempt to find the cache and if you have not signed the log. That's a DNF!
    I use the same rule. This week due to heavy rain I didn't get within 106 feet of a new cache in Waterville. I DNF'd it anyway:

June 20 by fins2right (480 found)
    I probably shouldn't log this at all. After discovering that Laughing Terry beat me to the first, I shrugged my shoulders and plodded on. I started into the jungle and saw what could have been 3 inches of water or 3 feet of water between me and the cache. At this point I decided to try it later. I'll be back!!!

Did I mention that Laughing Terry emailed me and described the cache as under water and that he looked like a wet dog on the way out. Oh the things we do for a FTF. Perhaps I made a good choice that day.....
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    Did I mention that Laughing Terry emailed me and described the cache as under water and that he looked like a wet dog on the way out. Oh the things we do for a FTF. Perhaps I made a good choice that day.....
    Sheesh! There have been so many new members lately, I'm gonna post a picture of the cache I volunteered to be responsible for - before I found out where it was located!

(The cache disappeared the first winter, and has been relocated nearby.)

(The person who got FTF managed it without going in...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-FriendJumpingIn.JPG 
Views:	245 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	373  

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! There have been so many new members lately, I'm gonna post a picture of the cache I volunteered to be responsible for - before I found out where it was located!
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

I log DNFs every time. I don't feel it's a bad thing, rather good. I also like to be able to turn those away if I get back to actually find them.

Sometimes the DNFs really help owners -- other times cachers. There's one cacher in our area who never checks his stuff. The containers get ruined, go up missing etc., and he never does anything. So all the DNFs help future people realize that these are bad caches to go for.

It's also a challenge to me -- if there are several DNFs but someone confirms its still there -- to go get it if I can!

it can also give people an idea if a needs archived or needs mainenace note should be posted if there is enough DNF's without a responce from the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post

It wasn't under water but I was. LOL Well, actually I went into water well past my knees more than once but when I finally found it it was 6 or 8 inches above the water. The way it's been raining I'm not sure that is still the case.

Don't worry though. She did something very cool. She tied it down so if the water gets too high it won't be washed away. Tandemstoker is going to be on the same list as Mapachi, me, and the other hiders who like hide devious caches.

On one of her other caches I fell in the river head first. I thought maybe it was on the backside of a stump so I leaned on it to look behind it and it broke off sending me for a swim. That one I looked like a drowned rat heading back to my car. (empty handed)

Default Here's a DNF question....

What about challenge caches? It seems to me if you attempted a challenge cache like the Delorme Challenge while on vacation in Utah, and you failed and may never come back or it may be a long time, that a DNF should be posted. I think I would. I can see the point some may make that they had not yet looked for the final, but at the same time I think it gives you a record of the attempt for yourself plus it lets the cache owner know people are attempting the cache.

I understand, if you live in Maine and are working on the Maine Delorme Challenge, that it would be silly to log a DNF every day until you logged it. But there are times when you know it will be a while before you can come back or conditions for the challenge exist which would require you to start over.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default On the other hand

I ask, is this a case of not finding it since it wasn't actually looked for? Or more a case of did not attempt? I go to caches that for one reason or another I don't even try. Such as a long trail that I don't have time for, or high water, or whatever. I will only log a DNF if I have looked at GZ and was not able to find it.
    After all the F in DNF does stand for find. This is just my way of playing. Not trying to force my way on anyone else.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    I ask, is this a case of not finding it since it wasn't actually looked for? Or more a case of did not attempt? I go to caches that for one reason or another I don't even try. Such as a long trail that I don't have time for, or high water, or whatever. I will only log a DNF if I have looked at GZ and was not able to find it.
    After all the F in DNF does stand for find. This is just my way of playing. Not trying to force my way on anyone else.
    I agree with this. IMO a DNF is one of two things:
    Their hide was better than my search or
    the cache is missing, or replaced in the incorrect spot or incorrect coord post.

If I am in a hurry, get to the start of a long trail and decide not to go further, I don't consider that a DNF. If I get to a rough/rocky spot with MANY hiding places and give it the quick once over, but decide to come back when I have more time (or sunlight, or less bugs), I won't post a DNF. If I feel that I gave it a good search and don't find it, that's a DNF (to me, your play may vary).

Guess I'm kinda in line with this as well. For me, it's not a DNF until I give up, which may mean several trips to the coords to look. There's been several that I've gone back up to 4 times to look, finally with success. However, who is to know if you are the first one to be looking for a cache that just went MIA.....kinda a toss-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    I agree with this. IMO a DNF is one of two things:
    Their hide was better than my search or
    the cache is missing, or replaced in the incorrect spot or incorrect coord post.

If I am in a hurry, get to the start of a long trail and decide not to go further, I don't consider that a DNF. If I get to a rough/rocky spot with MANY hiding places and give it the quick once over, but decide to come back when I have more time (or sunlight, or less bugs), I won't post a DNF. If I feel that I gave it a good search and don't find it, that's a DNF (to me, your play may vary).
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.