vb:literal>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GEOMEO offices

Default More questions...

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Thanks. I think you'd make a great "association" president, Rick. Again, my only concern is that you may be taking on a lot.

(I still get to be Chief Parlimentarian, right?)
    The more I think about it, if we are going this route...than the officers should be voted in, not just assume the role.

I agree with Haffy - GeoMeo sounds like an Italian opera, or a geocaching cat.

But I do like the idea of buying the Geo Maine related domaine names. But it takes money. Dues, anyone??? Sure beats setting out an ammo can whenever we need money...
    Could members register the domains and donate them to the group?

Quote Originally Posted by cameoooooo

Could members register the domains and donate them to the group?
    (Well, this will be my last comment today...)

Yes, members could do this, but experience has shown me that in any organization, you get a few individuals that ALWAYS do the bulk of the work or donate the most when money is needed, etc. Which is why I'm a proponent of dues: the costs are share EQUALLY by ALL members. If you can't help support the organization, you shouldn't be a member.

I gotta cook supper...

Well, here are some reasons:

1. Every member should contribute - (again) - especially to maintain the web site.

2. Dues could fund door prizes, etc. for our events. We can't keep hitting on Delorme, The Map Store, etc. And perhaps we could also produce a custom pin from BumbleButtons for participants at a geocaching event.
    1A. $38.95 a year for a web site is not very expensive. I can spring for that. I am not going to sweat $38.95. I enjoy working with the web site and keeping it going. It is more then just a hobby it is an addiction for me.

2A. If we are going to have door prizes at event caches then it would not be right for new comers to attend and not be able to in the drawing. Reason being is because the purpose of the event caches is to socialize and promote the geocaching sport. We would be isolating new people that attended and were not included in the door prize. That would make me feel out of place if I were new and felt like and outsider. That would probably make me not want to attend another one. I think that if we are going to have door prizes for members only then we should have a separate group gathering that is not an event cache. But that is just my opinion.

I still can not see needing dues for door prizes. I don’t think door prizes are even needed for cache events or gatherings. Sure I agree they are nice but having door prizes is not going to make or break someone’s decision to come to a get together. I am afraid that if we start having dues then it would discourage people from coming to further events.

Bruce is right on one thing though there are always only a few individuals in organizations that are the bulk of the work. But these are the ones that don’t mind. I am always more then willing to help when ever I cann.
    Blazing Troll

Exclamation Event caches.

Keep in mind too that event caches are posted on Geocaching.com not on geocaching.maine.org so as Rick stated the door prizes coundn't fairly be only for members of our Maine site. Events I host will have door prizes if I can wrangle them up. Yesterday proved you don't need them to get a good turnout.
    Happy Trails!

Smile Just my 2 cents

It's apparent that there are some unique situations that have arisen as a result of dealing with money for two distinct areas, the support of the website and the proposed Maine geocoin. Keeping this as simple as possible is very important. Cameoooo apparently has taken on the responsibility of handling the geocoins and the associated costs. Perhaps the GeocachingMaine website should include specific contact information for anyone interested in purchasing these coins. I think this can be handled without a bank account or using PayPal but that's another issue. If people want to pay with a personal check, they should understand that they have to wait for it to clear. Otherwise they have the option of a money order. Rick, on the other hand, is dealing with a different issue and anyone interested in contributing to the website should contact him. I am against dues to belong to the geocachingmaine.org site unless paying members get some additional privileges such as gc.com has. Initially and on a basic level it should be free to everyone.

I will never charge dues for site access. So lets get that clear.
    Blazing Troll

Post Raising money

If we need to raise money there are lots of easy ways. At the next event we could, have a bake sale, auction, raffle, a 50/50 drawing, and even a donation can. We can do this without dues. There are alot of people who have allready done alot and more just waiting I'm sure. This can easily be a team effort... I'm getting down now. hehehe
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

My turn...

I have no issue with Rick and Cameo taking on the roles of President and Treasurer. I think they have put lots of time and energy into these endeavours and if they are willing to take on the responsiblity than we should thank them. In the future we can re-evaluate the situation.

I think PayPal is a cool idea to handle as much of the money related issues as possible. Including, in the future, a T-shirt buy for events etc. But one step at a time.

I do not think dues are appropriate at this time. I thought the ammo can worked out just fine. That way no one felt obligated, but most of the money needed was raised. And we can continue to do that as it becomes necessary, unless the situation changes.

As far as door prizes...we don't always need to ask business' to help us out. If everyone brought 1 thing...there would be plenty to go around. I can just imagine some of the gag prizes some of you would come up with!

I guess my point is....we don't need to make decisions today for 5 years from now...lets do what's right for today. As our needs as a club change than we can update and adjust.

Thanks,
    John and Diana