vb:literal>

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Download waypoints to your GPS

I tried using GSAK and F'ed up a bunch of caches that were already loaded. It ended up doubling all my waypoints, creating some odd other waypoints, etc. Needless to say I dont really like GSAK at this point. I enter them all by hand and even change the GC# to the name of the cache. GotGPS thinks I'm nuts!

Where the hell is that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by EvilHomer View Post
    I tried using GSAK and F'ed up a bunch of caches that were already loaded. It ended up doubling all my waypoints, creating some odd other waypoints, etc. Needless to say I dont really like GSAK at this point. I enter them all by hand and even change the GC# to the name of the cache. GotGPS thinks I'm nuts!
    I was very slow to warm up to GSAK as well, and now as you may know I barely have it closed and have made several macros to do all sorts of things. Give it another try, play with it a bit, ask questions here. I'm sure myself or someone else could give you a quick tutorial in person as well if you'd like. The GSAK forums are great, too.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by EvilHomer View Post
    Once you get it going right, you will like it.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default Remember, I'm not a Premium Memeber...

So like I posted earlier, I have 900+ caches loaded right now and have a couple questions. I am headed to the SMR on Friday and am wondering if GSAK will actually help? I can't run PQ's because I'm not premium so I just tried loading what I had in the GPS into GSAK. Doesn't really help as none of the fields are populated the right way. Is this tool basically useless if you aren't premium?

I also keep everything thats loaded into the GPS saved and current in MapSource. I only plan on making this trip once and due to the cell coverage, wont be able to do this paperlessly the way I normally do if I need a hint. Next question, Is there a faster way other than editing the Note field for every cache in MapSource to add the hint (just in case)?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    I can't run PQ's because I'm not premium so I just tried loading what I had in the GPS into GSAK. ?
    I think you'll find that being a premium member is worth the cost...

Default Obviously

It all comes down to time....If I had the time to get out and do a substantial amount more, I would pay for it immediately. Even though I don't think it would change how I go about things much, I feel like I miss out not having the PQ's and understanding GSAK. With all my caches generally being within a radius of 20 miles from Bangor though, I just have a hard time rationalizing it for now. Seriously, aside from supporting the sport and site, all it would do for me at this time would increase the daydreams about not being at work.

On a side note, after actually opening a few of the SMR caches, I realized there are no hints to worry about so no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I think you'll find that being a premium member is worth the cost...

$3/month or manually punch in 125 sets of coords...hmmmm
    (of course if you don't cache much most of the year, hit it for 1 month premium, get the SMR finished, go back to free status)

God, even I know better than to load them all manually. I download all the screens centered around Bangor and have everything loaded into the GPS in about 15 minutes. Thats no big deal to me. If I had to add hints, then yes, I would most certainly be going on the month to month basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    $3/month or manually punch in 125 sets of coords...hmmmm
    (of course if you don't cache much most of the year, hit it for 1 month premium, get the SMR finished, go back to free status)
    I was just going to suggest that! In fact, I was going to pay for a one month membership for motu. But I looked further, and you can't upgrade another player for less than a year, and you can't even buy a month's membership now. You have to buy 3 months for $10, and it's auto-renew.

Still, $10 is cheap to give it a 3 month test run. I have yet to see anyone get the premium membership and say they wish they hadn't.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    It all comes down to time....If I had the time to get out and do a substantial amount more, I would pay for it immediately. .
    Sheesh! Premier membership is $30 a year - $2.50 a month.

Even if you just go geocaching 2 days a month - $1.25 per trip - the premium membership is worth it.