vb:literal>

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Download waypoints to your GPS

Exclamation Download waypoints to your GPS

How do you download waypoints into your GPS'r?

Are you a Premium member of Geocaching.com and receive weekly or daily pocket queries?

Do you use GSAK or any of the other software waypoint management tools?

I have for a long time been a premium member and received daily pocket queries for Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. I now have a total of 19 PQ's that run each week to cover all of my unfound caches for the 3 states. I have preferred to use GSAK Geocahing Swiss Army Knife to manage the waypoints. The ease of getting the downloads and use of filters to load only 1000 waypoints, the capacity of my MAP60CSx, into my GPS'r has worked just fine for me.

Being that there are others out there who do it differently. Please use this thread to enlighten us on your tips and, to the others please ask questions.

There have been other recent threads on this topic, but I did not want to relate this to any one brand of GPS. So lets hear from the Magellan, DeLorme, Nuvi, Tom Tom, Garmin and anyone else who wants to post.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

I use GSAK as well for my handheld,ancient Etrex Vista and I use Pilot Snipes macro to download all the cache info to my NUVI 250W. I also use a few other macros as well for different uses.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Using a Garmin 60 series, I generally pick and choose or (hunt and peck) the caches I want to do and then load them in individually. Since I rarely go on a binge of 10 or more caches, it's not an issue, time-wise. I then download the gpx file and load into my Blackberry Curve via Cacheberry.

I have at times loaded a PQ thru GSAK to get a bunch at once. If or when I do some on the Stud Mill Road, then that will be the way to load.

I really like paperless caching with the Blackberry but I'm thinking the Garmin Oregon or Colorado may be my next unit. I really like the Delorme units but worried about the negative comments regarding customer service not the units themselves.

Great question and topic, thanks for starting it. This is what forums are for.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Default Also......

I should also add that at some point, I will start to load into the NUVI 350 I have to make it easier as well, utilizing the tools available.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Using a Garmin 60 series, I generally pick and choose or (hunt and peck) the caches I want to do and then load them in individually. Since I rarely go on a binge of 10 or more caches, it's not an issue, time-wise. I then download the gpx file and load into my Blackberry Curve via Cacheberry.

I have at times loaded a PQ thru GSAK to get a bunch at once. If or when I do some on the Stud Mill Road, then that will be the way to load.

I really like paperless caching with the Blackberry but I'm thinking the Garmin Oregon or Colorado may be my next unit. I really like the Delorme units but worried about the negative comments regarding customer service not the units themselves.

Great question and topic, thanks for starting it. This is what forums are for.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

I'm still having trouble finding a good way to load the handheld GPSrs. Since we rarely know which route we are going to take on our trips within Maine and New Hampshire, it is nearly impossible to get by with 1000 waypoints (actually, 500 for my unit right now) unless we know the route we are taking. The only way around this is to bring the laptop with us and reload the GPSr when we need a new set of caches. Someday I'll get a newfangled unit that can handle more, but the 'Ol Yeller works as well as any other, it just has a small memory.

Since a 2 GB card will, at least in theory, hold over a half million POI caches on the Nuvi, that is much easier. I find making multiple POI files, separating the micros from the other caches works great. I do this so I can disable the proximity alarm on the micros - the dinging can be a bit annoying. I might eventually make a macro to do this automatically.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    it is nearly impossible to get by with 1000 waypoints (actually, 500 for my unit right now) unless we know the route we are taking. The only way around this is to bring the laptop with us and reload the GPSr when we need a new set of caches.
    We do this often. As a matter of fact, last week we took a trip to Massachusetts (rained the whole time so we did little caching) and the map sets in the GPSr suddenly disappeared. We stopped for lunch, and while RULost2? was doing the ordering (and the paying ), I reloaded the maps.

On such trips, we usually decide the night before where we plan to go caching, and load the caches for that area the night before. We always have the paytop with us when we travel, so it's no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    We always have the paytop with us when we travel, so it's no problem.

Paytop????
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Thumbs up Map sets

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    We do this often. As a matter of fact, last week we took a trip to Massachusetts (rained the whole time so we did little caching) and the map sets in the GPSr suddenly disappeared. We stopped for lunch, and while RULost2? was doing the ordering (and the paying ), I reloaded the maps.

On such trips, we usually decide the night before where we plan to go caching, and load the caches for that area the night before. We always have the paytop with us when we travel, so it's no problem.

I have all of New England on my MAP60CSx. ME,NH,MA,VT and NY both in Mapsource and TOPO. It only takes up 1/2 of the 1G card. I usually will load around 750 caches in an area, that plus the child waypoints will be less than the 1000 max capacity.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    I have all of New England on my MAP60CSx. ME,NH,MA,VT and NY both in Mapsource and TOPO.
    Have you ever had an experience where the maps just disappear from your GPSr - like I mentioned happened to us last week? We were driving along, following the maps, and suddenly they weren't there.

We're going to update our Garmin maps before we go on vacation this summer, but I think I'm going to buy the preloaded chip instead of loading the CD to the laptop (LAPTOP, Haffy...) and loading the maps to the GPSr. We used a preloaded chip for our trip to Europe last year, and didn't have any problems.

Default Loaded

I do most of my caching around Bangor and the surrounding towns as my opportunities to get away are far and between. Due to this, I just load all 40+ screens of caches centered around 04401 into my 60csx. This gives me a little over 900 caches and stretches out plenty to suit my travels. As I do them, I delete them and re-download once I get bored or a lot of new ones have been added.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry