vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acquiring Satellites

Default Acquiring Satellites

I rarely cache when I travel on business, however on this trip to Seoul, Korea, I decided to make time. So I fire up the Garmin GPSMap 60 but it's not locking in on the satellites, even after 20 minutes.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    I rarely cache when I travel on business, however on this trip to Seoul, Korea, I decided to make time. So I fire up the Garmin GPSMap 60 but it's not locking in on the satellites, even after 20 minutes.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    hmmm, these are only suggestions but I had too do this with my old eTrex. Change the time zone and tell the GPSr to research for satellites as you have travelled more than 200 miles since you last turned it on. I'm thinking the time zone must tell the unit which satellites it should be looking for at the time and those satellite may be "over the horizon" for where you are for the time zone in the GPSr.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Did you try setting the point manually using the map. Also, be patient, it may take a while.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

When I turned my unit on after traveling from ME to BC it seemed to take forever but it did eventually lock in. Coming home I turned it on in the plane and it seemed to do fine when we got home.

I would wonder about the time zones too.

GPS has nothing to do with timezones. You can read about TTFF here: http://jeepx.blogspot.com/2006/01/co...aided-gps.html
    Moo

Thank you Cano - always nice to learn something new.

You just need to perform cold start/memory wipe to start over with fresh data.
    Moo

My Magellan would ask me what country I was in while I was loading caches and it could not get a signal indoors.

If you push enough buttons you'll find how to fix it.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    GPS has nothing to do with timezones. You can read about TTFF here: http://jeepx.blogspot.com/2006/01/co...aided-gps.html

It has everything to do with time zones. After reading the article it states that your GPSr is trying to "find" the satellite that transmitted the timestamp that it last used (hotfix is a Garmin software application that is suppose to help your GPSr remember where the satellites are) then compares it to the timestamp from the current satellite to determine where it has moved too . Cano has pointed out one method of resetting the unit; wipe the memory. Or more easily, reset your time zone. Wiping the memory is basically telling the unit to not worry about where it was. Setting the time zone is telling your GPSr manually that you have moved instead of letting it figure it out on its own.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It has everything to do with time zones.
    It doesn't. Period.
    Moo