vb:literal>

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Download waypoints to your GPS

The same Brdad on here? You sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    Before Brdad got REALLY computer savvy, I remember seeing his copy of the DeLorme Gazetteer. He painted small white-out rectangles, then wrote in the GC numbers of each cache on the page. Very organized, and he pulled it off on paper, not the computer!
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Before Brdad got REALLY computer savvy, I remember seeing his copy of the DeLorme Gazetteer. He painted small white-out rectangles, then wrote in the GC numbers of each cache on the page. Very organized, and he pulled it off on paper, not the computer!
    Back then, that was computer savvy! There were no PQs, No Geocaching-friendly GPSrs - No cachemate or GSAK. You earned an FTF by continually reloading the gc.com page and waiting, and then loading your GPSr instead of having notifications 'handed' to you!

I still have my old Delorme maps. You were close on the technique. I wrote the GC# (Minus the "GC" - had that figured out long before the boys at GSAK) in ink and then ran a highlighter over the caches as I found them. All of the waypoints were placed with precision, I compared them using USAPhotomaps. Usually I updated the book once a week, some weeks were crazy with 10 or 15 new caches so I had to do it twice a week. Ah, the good 'ol days.

Last edited by brdad; 07-02-2009 at 02:14 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Man, look at that cache density! I bet you could get 10 in 1 day if you pushed it

Cool Yep, The good ole days...

Man, look at that cache density! I bet you could get 10 in 1 day if you pushed it
    Someone should have done the Decum Challenge.
    Happy Trails!

Default Milestones

With a run like the SMR, I can't imagine it'll be long before a Bi-Centrum Challange shows up. It's hard to believe that now someone who has never cached before or is just starting out could go out and hit the 100 cache milestone as well as wrap up two major challenges in one day. I just feel a little sorry for the folks in the southern part of the state who have to travel so far to hit it.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Cool very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Back then, that was computer savvy! There were no PQs, No Geocaching-friendly GPSrs - No cachemate or GSAK. You earned an FTF by continually reloading the gc.com page and waiting, and then loading your GPSr instead of having notifications 'handed' to you!

I still have my old Delorme maps. You were close on the technique. I wrote the GC# (Minus the "GC" - had that figured out long before the boys at GSAK) in ink and then ran a highlighter over the caches as I found them. All of the waypoints were placed with precision, I compared them using USAPhotomaps. Usually I updated the book once a week, some weeks were crazy with 10 or 15 new caches so I had to do it twice a week. Ah, the good 'ol days.

Just thought I would look at a few of these. Surprised to see that several are still active and have been logged recently. Take a look at GC93F3 and GC72EA, (note the numbers) and you might be surprised by who was caching long ago in Maine.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    It's hard to believe that now someone who has never cached before or is just starting out could go out and hit the 100 cache milestone as well as wrap up two major challenges in one day.
    LOL! You've hit the nail on the head. But if anyone can do it, it's no longer a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    Just thought I would look at a few of these. Surprised to see that several are still active and have been logged recently. Take a look at GC93F3 and GC72EA, (note the numbers) and you might be surprised by who was caching long ago in Maine.
    Yes, you can also take a trip back in Geocacher history by looking at my Maine Geocache Hider Timeline (Yet another odd use macro) which lists all Maine cache hiders by join date. For a reference on that list, D&I Joined on Sept 28th, 2002 - the same day GC72EA was placed.

Heh, I was just thinking I could make the macro list the caches that were placed on the day each cacher joined.
    Last edited by brdad; 07-02-2009 at 06:31 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    With a run like the SMR, I can't imagine it'll be long before a Bi-Centrum Challange shows up.
    Don't say that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know it's inevitable, but don't say it!
    And don't worry about the southerners, there are people already planning these types of hides for the south.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

It isn't me I promise!!!!
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.