vb:literal>

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Download waypoints to your GPS

I'm using my smartphone for car navigation and geocaching (I use the same program iGo8) iGo8 stores user POIs as a pipe separated values file. You can edit it manually. Every POI has it's own folder on GPS, icon, name, description, stuff... I wrote a program to convert bunch of GPX PQ files into this user POI file while eliminating multiple caches (when your PQ are overlapping) I extract important information like hints, number of TBs, last logs, size... I even recognize nano size caches. I have additional cache waypoints too like parking coordinates or trail heads if cache has any. I also drew custom icons for every cache type, or size or if there has been some recent DNF or if there are any TBs, that way I have a nice outlook of caches on my map on my GPS seeing where it is worth to go and where not without reading cache descriptions, just by looking on the map. When I find a cache I will change the icon of the cache to found icon. I have several different found icons and DNF icons to distinguish whether I have something special to say in a log or not. When I return home, I will take this POI file and upload it to my another program. This program will filter out all caches I want to log based on this icons whether found or DNF and displays click-able links to the cache pages. I can have any number of POIs in my file so I don't bother with how to get caches along the route. When I travel from A to B I set B as a destination, look at the route and then set VIA points manually to caches along my route. I'm completely paperless when finding caches or logging them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sshot011.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	403  

Well, all I can say is I wish you could speak in layman's language...lol. Really, as well as you have the ability to do what you do would it be possible to create a macro for GSAK or something to that effect so that we all could take advantage of your abilites to do the things that you do? Sounds like you really have your s__t together working on these things. Please don't keep them to yourself and share with us!!! By the way who the heck do you work for anyway?...lol
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Well, all I can say is I wish you could speak in layman's language...lol. Really, as well as you have the ability to do what you do would it be possible to create a macro for GSAK or something to that effect so that we all could take advantage of your abilites to do the things that you do? Sounds like you really have your s__t together working on these things. Please don't keep them to yourself and share with us!!! By the way who the heck do you work for anyway?...lol
    I don't like GSAK and I don't use GSAK (only for generating statistics, but I'm working on my own sw for stats) All my work is available for everyone on my geocaching.com profile. If your GPS unit is using a open format for POI I can make a converter for you. I clean toilets at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    I don't like GSAK and I don't use GSAK (only for generating statistics, but I'm working on my own sw for stats) All my work is available for everyone on my geocaching.com profile. If your GPS unit is using a open format for POI I can make a converter for you. I clean toilets at Walmart.
    Now I know that isn't true because I have never seen a clean toilet at Wal Mart. Love your sense of humor though!!
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

You just don't go to the right Walmart. He does a wonderful job.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I finally got the cable and am in the downloading business for this old GPS Map 76S. My question...when you download a pocket query that someone else has made previously, do you get updated caches on it since they made it( whatever date that was.)
    also, how to get the Stud Mill road? I have loaded Bangor to Calais? and expanded as far as it would go, but it does not appear to have all the tribute caches, so I am assuming it is not right. I typed in Stud Mill Road for a query, but got nothing. I am sure one of you have done that , but how? Thanks, Waterski

do a search using the gc number like the tat tribute cache is GC1TMAK. now when you make your query use the gc number to include all the caches within so many miles from this and you should get them all.
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

I know using GSAK I entered the cache owners name and all of them went in and I have been using that for maintenance.

On Hides idea 50 miles should be good.

Or I have a list.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterski View Post
    I finally got the cable and am in the downloading business for this old GPS Map 76S. My question...when you download a pocket query that someone else has made previously, do you get updated caches on it since they made it( whatever date that was.)
    also, how to get the Stud Mill road? I have loaded Bangor to Calais? and expanded as far as it would go, but it does not appear to have all the tribute caches, so I am assuming it is not right. I typed in Stud Mill Road for a query, but got nothing. I am sure one of you have done that , but how? Thanks, Waterski
    Not sure what you mean by downloading a PQ that someone else had made. You can't download someone elses query,that is against the TOU clause. You can download as Ekidokai stated by using GSAK and filter those caches by a particular person. That way all of his caches will show up. You can then pick out all the Stud Mill road caches from them and transfer to your GPS that way.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Not sure what you mean by downloading a PQ that someone else had made. You can't download someone elses query,that is against the TOU clause. You can download as Ekidokai stated by using GSAK and filter those caches by a particular person. That way all of his caches will show up. You can then pick out all the Stud Mill road caches from them and transfer to your GPS that way.
    You can 'legally' download a PQ someone else has set up from a bookmark list or a route, however.

I've thought about creating a route for this, but well... you know.
    Last edited by brdad; 10-10-2009 at 03:09 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."