vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When and Why post to a Milestone?

Hybrid View

Default When and Why post to a Milestone?

So CacheNewbie345 just logged his/her 500th cache. I don't know who this cacher is, most of us don't, but Emsdanel starts a new thread offering his best wishes to the milestone.

So, do you add a congrats, a word of encouragment, an atta boy/girl? Does it matter who this cacher is, or is not? Make any difference if you know the cacher? Maybe 500 isn't a "big enough" milestone....maybe you'll log in at 1000? Sheesh, there's way too many milestone posts, talk to me when it's 5000.

Most milestones generate 10 but usually less the 20 comments. Do you post...when.. if not why? With all the members here I'm a curious about the why's and why nots on this frequent thread.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Its catch as catch can or whatever that saying is. I don't mean any disrespect when I don't congratulate someone, I just can't get them all.

I think it is worth a post to encourage people in the sport to continue to find caches and to perhaps encourage new people into our addiction.New cachers=new caches! We really are a friendly bunch! Are we not?
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

Dan, I think it's appropriate at any milestone and serves multiple purposes. In no particular order:
    Recognizes an accomplishment in our activity.
    Keeps the forum active.
    Everyone is waiting for FirefighterJake to post his first "congrats" post.
    Fosters a spirit of community.
    Provides an opportunity to Hiram to hijack a thread.
    Ya' just feel good when your peers recognize your achievement, big or
    small.

When Hollora offered congrats on my 100th, I really felt I was part of the caching community. And for someone who is not numbers motivated, achieving 100 seemed like a very distant destination. My 100 was like a numbers junkie reaching 1000.
    I think your comments are valid, as well. As I write this, I have just traveled from the Florida Keys to the Miami area to fly home tomorrow. While in the Keys, I did only 3 caches. I wanted to do more but Key Largo had, essentially, only 2 active caches and 1 disabled/missing. Only 2! Now, in comparison, look how many caches, cachers and activity Maine has, especially in the last 12 months. It's really growing. As such the community has grown resulting in more activity on the forum and more "milestone" posts.
    Yeah, sometimes it gets old seeing so many milestone posts......but I sure like asking "which one was your favorite?" and getting an occasional answer. Let's me know which ones to go after!
    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    So CacheNewbie345 just logged his/her 500th cache. I don't know who this cacher is, most of us don't, but Emsdanel starts a new thread offering his best wishes to the milestone.

So, do you add a congrats, a word of encouragment, an atta boy/girl? Does it matter who this cacher is, or is not? Make any difference if you know the cacher? Maybe 500 isn't a "big enough" milestone....maybe you'll log in at 1000? Sheesh, there's way too many milestone posts, talk to me when it's 5000.

Most milestones generate 10 but usually less the 20 comments. Do you post...when.. if not why? With all the members here I'm a curious about the why's and why nots on this frequent thread.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    . . . Everyone is waiting for FirefighterJake to post his first "congrats" post.
    . . .
    Actually I think I once did a congrats post . . . I think it might have been for the first person to complete the DeLorme . . . or maybe it was to TRF for being able to find my caches even with the poor coords I originally posted.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Actually I think I once did a congrats post . . . I think it might have been for the first person to complete the DeLorme . . . or maybe it was to TRF for being able to find my caches even with the poor coords I originally posted.
    hahaha. Thanks to FFJ I managed to meet most of the Delorme challenge requirements chasing down a couple of his newly placed caches for FTF. Ironically, after having the coordinates updated by FFJ, those caches proved to be only a few miles from my home. I still cringed when I hear of a cache placed with a Magellen !!
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Default When To Congratulate

I guess I would congratulate newbies at 100 finds to encourage them, especially if it took them a long time to get there. And I would congratulate at 500, 1,000, 2,000 etc. Usually I respond if I know or have at least met the cacher. Other than that, it's up to each cacher what they do on the threads.
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

As someone who does not cache as much as I would like, my numbers have been climbing VERY slowly. Once I hit 100 (after over a year of caching mind you) I am going to be VERY excited. Just thought I would warn you all.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Wink In the beginning....

Quote Originally Posted by Team V3 View Post
    As someone who does not cache as much as I would like, my numbers have been climbing VERY slowly. Once I hit 100 (after over a year of caching mind you) I am going to be VERY excited. Just thought I would warn you all.
    My first year I only did 35 caches
    Happy Trails!

I like seeing the milestones for other cachers, and it makes me smile to see my milestones posted. If I'm feeling up to it I'll post a response. It's not like it puts anyone out to post something nice.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.