vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When and Why post to a Milestone?

I like seeing the milestones for other cachers, and it makes me smile to see my milestones posted. If I'm feeling up to it I'll post a response. It's not like it puts anyone out to post something nice.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

My first year I only did 35 caches
    Yeah but there were only 25 caches in Maine when you did that.

A house is not a home without a cat.

The rain has been stopping me more than it should be. I should invest in some good Waterproof Hikers and say screw you rain lol
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Default Thumbs up to hiram 357!

That hits the nail on the head IMHO!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    I like seeing the milestones for other cachers, and it makes me smile to see my milestones posted. If I'm feeling up to it I'll post a response. It's not like it puts anyone out to post something nice.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I couldn't help but think FFJ and myself were two targets of this discussion. I have a few reasons why I don't post much anymore to these threads.

One is that every cache can be a milestone. 100 finds for one person can be less of a milestone than 1 for another. A large percentage of the population can, if inspired to do so, now "easily" get 100+ caches in a day. A percentage of those left might be lucky to be physically able to get one cache a day 50 feet from the street. We all have different abilities and different caching habits. Factor in some cachers don't log online, and you don't know who truly has more finds, ftfs or dnfs. A true milestone requires a standard to go by, of which there are none in caching. And that's the way it should be, IMO.

The other reason, for which I may be wrong or for which I may be over-reacting is that I feel competition on a large scale is not good for Geocaching. I think competition often promotes haste and cheating (Though I do not think we have many, if any, cheaters here locally). However, haste has caused problems locally before - often resulting in trespassing and and/or entering caches by the wrong entrance, driving onto land off limits, and caches being placed with incorrect coords or without permission. So I can't allow myself to promote something I disagree with.

However, if someone finds one of my caches as their first or any milestone, even if it's not a milestone ending in 00, but a personal one, I almost always send that person a personal note congratulating them, especially if they intentionally chose my cache for their milestone. Sometimes I will also congratulate people of their milestones in chat if I feel they are deserving, and on rare occasion by personal email. So, while it does not happen often, don't assume that I haven't recognized someone for their efforts just because I did not do so here.
    Last edited by brdad; 06-30-2009 at 05:54 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Team V3 View Post
    As someone who does not cache as much as I would like, my numbers have been climbing VERY slowly. Once I hit 100 (after over a year of caching mind you) I am going to be VERY excited. Just thought I would warn you all.

100 seemed to be the key for me. It took me over a year to hit that mark and since then my pace has increased. #100 was really special though.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Default Milestones

This thread is not directed to anybody, brdad and FFJ should not feel this is pointed in any direction....unless this hits a nerve, and if it does then post on my friends.

The post is based on my observation that there are only a handful of the caching community that pay much attention to this site and the posts are really made by 30 or 40 of us. The other members may be just enjoying the commentary, but let's face it...there's only a small segment of the caching community that takes the time to comment here. This thread is directed to that group while others are encouraged to chime in.

So as Hiram said, would it make you feel bad to type the word "congrats" to a milestone? While raising your children, did you find it hard to offer words of encouragment during diaper training, good grades, finishing their peas, or anything that recognizes positive achievement?

That's the point here. If you have the time to post an extensive and helpful disseration on all things technical, why not take a second to recognize the little accomplishments of your fellow cachers? It's not hard and alway positively received. I think it's called "positive reinforcement." So far I haven't heard anything that suggests an honest defense to not posting to milestones.

Thanks to all who have posted to this thread!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

My remarks were made in jest towards FFJ and Hiram.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I couldn't help but think FFJ and myself were two targets of this discussion. .
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Oh, I just like stirring the pot I guess.

Congratulations to the FTF on this cache.

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Thanks for starting it.....nice to see the forums used for the manner in which I think they are intended, that being communication among cachers.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Thanks to all who have posted to this thread!
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.